Buying Stringing Machine in USA

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by baggids, Sep 16, 2013.

1. baggids

baggids Regular Member

Hi Fellow Stringers, I am originally from India but am doing my Masters in Northern Colorado, USA. We have a badminton club here but no restringing facility nearby. The racquets have to be sent all the way to Denver to be restrung and it takes a week to 10 days to get them back. [HR][/HR]So, I want to invest in a stringing machine of ~$500. I have checked out many posts in BadmintonCentral and I narrowed down on an Eagnas ST 250 or Eagnas Easy 3 but there are some unfavorable comments regarding Eagnas, but these comments are dated from 2006 to 2010. There aren't too many recent ones. [HR][/HR]Is Eagnas good? Are there any other machines to consider which can be bought in USA? I appreciate any help/comments you can provide. I am a beginner stringer and the preference is for a 6 pt. manual crank. If the drop weight is better kindly let me know too![HR][/HR] I apologize for any mistakes I have made and am ready to correct them. Thanks :)

2. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    you can check on craiglist or kijiji..ebay... for used machine local, I found my on kijiji for good deal.

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Eagnas is still terrible and I doubt that will ever change.

Looking for machines on craigslist and kijiji is usually the best way to get the best out of your money.

If you can't find any, you could look to order from http://www.wdstrings.co.uk/. The prices are very good and the machines too. You will however have to pay for shipping and customs.

ATS Sports also sells Gamma machines.

Gamma, Pro's Pro and Alpha are brands you could look at for reasonably priced machines.

4. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

I use the gamma progression 602 FC its a drop weight and it does a fine job.

5. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    As mentioned above, eagnas has quality and customer service issues. it's hit and miss.

If you want to order within the USA:
    For gamma machines: http://www.atssports.com/
    For alpha machines: http://alphatennis.webstarts.com/index.html
    Wise2086: http://www.tennishead.com/
    Like others, i'd look at the buy/sell forums in craigslist, stringing forums, etc.

I would go with drop weight since it's within your ~$500 budget compared to the crank (about $200 more + shipping).
    The extra money saved could be used towards purchasing the WISE 2086 in the future (after you recovered your cost, which should be relatively quick as long as you provide quality work since you will pretty much monopolize Northern Colorado market).

Good Luck!

6. baggids

baggids Regular Member

Thanks dsmbooster, I am looking on kijiji and craigslist everyday, yet to find one so far!

7. baggids

baggids Regular Member

Thanks yan.v!
    I know Eagnas has less than stellar feedback, which is very unfortunate for buyers.

I looked at wdstrings.co.uk and it looks very promising, I may buy Pro's Pro XP Plus from them, but I have one question directed towards you, will there be any defects at all? Since they are shipped across the Atlantic, any returns have to be shipped again which can be a killer. I appreciate your reply :)

Thanks again.

8. baggids

baggids Regular Member

Thank You heroclass!

I may be misled regarding drop weights, but I have been led to believe they are slower to string with and that the WiseHead 2086 cannot be fitted on drop weights (Is this true?).

I looked at the Gamma Progression 602 FC and it looks extremely good.

Now, I intend to read more about drop-weights and if I am convinced (about ease of use and retro-fitting with Wise 2086) then I am going to choose between the GAMMA Progression II 602 FC and Pro's Pro XP Plus/Challenger Drop Weights.

Your feedback is very helpful and much appreciated!

9. baggids

baggids Regular Member

Thanks DarthHowie!

First, Thank You for the Links.

I intend to read more about drop weights, since I have been led to believe hand cranks are better.

By providing the link for the Alpha machines, you've piqued my interest in the Alpha Pioneer DC Plus, but I just checked and the product is unavailable :(

Anyway I need to read more about Drop Weights!

Haha... talking about Monopolizing the market! I am going to start by stringing my own rackets and a few close friends first, in case I mess them up!

Thanks for the encouragement :)

10. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

Drop weights are slower to string, however I believe it has more advantages compared to a crank since it does have a constant pull due to gravity. And the wise head does mount on the gamma progression I mentioned about, but you also need to order an additional part which allows you to mount the wise head on. Its an extra 60 bucks around

11. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I haven't read anything about anyone receiving a defect machine from W&D, so I don't think that will happen. If it does however, their customer service is very good and I'm sure they'll find a solution that you agree with and that shouldn't cost you much, if anything.

12. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
  13. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I bought a Gamma Progression II off of tennis warehouse and also a WISE 2086 from tennis head. Since you could probably save a lot more on shipping, it'd be less than $1000 total easily. Only thing is that you'd have to make some modifications to the adapter in order for the machines to fit properly. Even though it's out of budget, eventually you'll find yourself wanting an electronic machine. Stringing just becomes so much more efficient and you feel a lot more confident.

14. lydyys

lydyys Regular Member

15. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

They're very similar tbh. I'd probably go with the Gamma because I know the machine and I know it's good. However, I like that the North/South posts can be moved more easily on the Challenger (Gamma requires an Allen key every time you want to move them). The Pro's pro also has a linear gripper, which is a plus.

So, subjectively, I'd go with the Gamma. Objectively I'd go with the Pro's pro :)

16. hew128

hew128 Regular Member

Previously IT
    Better check with seller if the clamps are suitable for badminton. One of my friends bought a similar unit from the US only to discover the clamps were not suitable for badminton strings. Some sellers are willing to provide suitable clamps for badminton with (minor) cost difference.

17. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

They're not suitable for badminton.

You will need to order 12mm badminton clamps from W&D (or get the expensive Gamma ones) if the seller doesnt provide them.

18. lydyys

lydyys Regular Member

Hi, yep i messaged the seller asking them the cost for badminton clamps. I have a couple of things I want to clear up with you guys:

Alternatively, I could invest in the pro's pro shuttle express (which is pretty much the same as the one kwun reviewed - his was the alpha shuttle express) which is a crank for around about the same price. Although the one thing putting me off is having flying clamps as opposed to fixed.

This has probably come up somewhere before, but fixed clamps will be better for retaining tension (since it is fixed in pretty much one spot) compared to flying clamps which rely on holding the tension between 2 parallel strings? unless you can get high quality flying clamps that are equally comparable to fixed clamps?

and CRANK vs DROP WEIGHT.. does it really matter which one? speed isn't soo much of an issue for me so im happy to go with drop weight. what im most concerned about is the stringing to a particular tension accurately (around 28-30lbs) for me. im a bit confused with this part - accuracy in stringing is more heavily reliant on the type of clamps you use or the type of tensioning system you use (drop weight or crank) or the equal combination of both? of course practice and experience makes perfect :p

19. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

Drop is perfectly accurate with constant pull, but since there is no prestretch function, tension hold might not be as good, however it does the job. I have the gamma progression 602FC and I bought a single yonex flying clamp JUST FOR THE CROSS because of the tennis fixed clamps(which i only use for mains which work well). I string 30/32

20. hew128

hew128 Regular Member

Previously IT
    From experience I find the consistency of the tensioning to be more important for the (overall) resulting tension.

I currently have a Stringway MS100 and using Yonex&Gamma badminton clamps with an initial clamp myself. Previously used a Tremont T-145 with the Tremont clamps for about 12yrs.

#20 hew128, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013