User Tag List

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uchida said after the semi final: “My weakest point used to be that I lacked the stamina and therefore my speed decreases towards the end of a match." Stamina is a problem with her, I guess Yamaguchi has a very good chance to win her first ever SS. Yamaguchi beat Uchida once before in the Osaka International last April.

For more information:
    http://www.badzine.net/news/japan-op...er-gold/27260/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suetyan View Post
    Can somebody tell me when was the first Japan Open held?
    Jill Clark says the first unofficial one was in 1981, the first official one was in 1982.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swunk View Post
    Jill Clark says the first unofficial one was in 1981, the first official one was in 1982.
    Any prove other than verbally speaking? Wikipedia tells 1984. I just wanted confirm the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Why did you conveniently forget to mention that Liu Cheng played XD yesterday? In fact he was playing both MD and XD until yesterday, same for Chai Biao. So typical of you.
    HI Justin,
    Liu Cheng & Bao Yixin pratically gave the game away to ZN/ZYL earlier.
    The match finished in 28 min. This was fishy in the part of the CBA.

Bao Yixin/Liu Cheng played hard vs. Kido/Pia in Quarter Final and they only managed to get 9 and 8 in straight set defeat to ZN/ZYL in the semi? Liu Cheng definitely was instructed to give the XD away to play all-out in the MD match later. Poor Bao Yixin!!!
    Last edited by indrg; 09-21-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any prove other than verbally speaking? Wikipedia tells 1984. I just wanted confirm the same.
    Japan Open 2011 was the 30th edition (according to the organisers at any rate). There was a huge "30th Anniversary" on the podium board on finals day. Going by that it would have started in 1982.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yamsyams View Post
    Japan Open 2011 was the 30th edition (according to the organisers at any rate). There was a huge "30th Anniversary" on the podium board on finals day. Going by that it would have started in 1982.
    hi, thanks for the information. Will look for the video of JO 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    uncle loh
    the cute mitani minatsu already won a SS before this.
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...F10&player=214
    beaten tine baun,saina,jiang yan jiao and eriko hirose en route to the title.
    No doubt MM and her cohort are impressive, especially Takahashi.

I am referring to the Japan Open where no Japanese player has won any of the 5 events in recent times. (According to Wiki which provided data from 1984.)

So for either Yamaguchi or Uchida to be crowned WS champion tomorrow is historic.

Especially 16-year-old Yamaguchi if she is able to beat her senior Uchida.

Both of them must be good to be able to defeat some of their higher ranked and more illustrious opponents enroute to the final. It would also mean that Yamaguchi will pose a challenge to her teenage rivals from Thailand and elsewhere in years to come.

It will be double happiness for Japan if Tago can also become the MS champion, which is highly unlikely given that he has lost all his previous meetings with LCW who is in terrific form.

But unlike you who hope LCW will lose, I'm sure all of Japan hopes Tago will win on home ground tomorrow.
    Last edited by Loh; 09-21-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liu Cheng/Bao Yixin won both the AJC and WJC XD title in 2010. I think Liu Cheng should be around 20 or 21 by now. As for Kang Jun, I don't recall seeing his name in the junior tourneys.

9. Likes limsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    No doubt MM and her cohort are impressive, especially Takahashi.

I am referring to the Japan Open where no Japanese player has won any of the 5 events in recent times. (According to Wiki which provided data from 1984.)

So for either Yamaguchi or Uchida to be crowned WS champion tomorrow is historic.

Especially 16-year-old Yamaguchi if she is able to beat her senior Uchida.

Both of them must be good to be able to defeat some of their higher ranked and more illustrious opponents enroute to the final. It would also mean that Yamaguchi will pose a challenge to her teenage rivals from Thailand and elsewhere in years to come.

It will be double happiness for Japan if Tago can also become the MS champion, which is highly unlikely given that he has lost all his previous meetings with LCW who is in terrific form.

But unlike you who hope LCW will lose, I'm sure all of Japan hopes Tago will win on home ground tomorrow.
    If you look at the starters in the WS in this edition of the Japan Open, it is
    amazing that 2 Japanese girls are in the final.
    Kudos to PJB - how I wish he is the Malaysian coach today.
    Having said that - KT have no chance vs LCW, even playing with one arm tied at
    his back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by senior888 View Post
    If you look at the starters in the WS in this edition of the Japan Open, it is
    amazing that 2 Japanese girls are in the final.
    Kudos to PJB - how I wish he is the Malaysian coach today.
    Having said that - KT have no chance vs LCW, even playing with one arm tied at
    his back.
    ..and with one eye closed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gill Clark probably is speaking from experience. That period, she was an international player on the circuit. It would not surprise me to hear that she played in that tournament itself.

13. Likes suetyan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can somebody tell me when was the first Japan Open held?
    1月14日~1月17日
    兵庫県西宮市夙川学院
    増谷記念体育館
    神戸市立中央体育館

Source: http://yonexopenjp.com/2011/30th/history_1982_1986.html

edit: Sorry, read "where".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

xu chen suddenly high fever wor.
    no xd final,wakakakakaka.
    in chinese we say,恬不知耻

16. Likes indrg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ssj100 View Post
    Being consistent is different to being on a higher level. Ahsan/Setiawan style/intensity of play is and has been relatively unbeatable for almost a year. Whether they can keep that style/intensity up is a different matter. But I believe Ahsan/Setiawan at their best would thrash LYD/JJS and Cai/Fu at thier best. They are just so good at dampening down their opponent's attacking opportunities and then converting any non-attacking returns to incredible attacking play of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssj100 View Post
    I think what we're getting mixed up in is "level of play" and "achievements". Sure, LYD/JJS and Cai/Fu have achieved by far the most in the modern era. And yes, "Level of play" is very subjective, but I believe Ahsan/Setiawan have taken this "level" up a notch. Just like Cai/Fu and LYD/JJS did in their prime. It's just a natural order of sport - the level of play always goes up with each generation. And there are many reasons for this - for example, better racket technology, better physical conditioning etc.
    Personally I do not think Ahsan/Setiawan has taken the level of MD play up a notch. What i think is they brought a new mainstream style of gameplay into the MD's game. In the past, the classic style of MD play was geared towards the defense/attack game. We do see fast, flat drives and net exchanges but it was always part of the tatics to gain the the attack and subsequently win the point.

However, with the retirement/reshuffling of top MD players after the London Olympics, a new style of play emerged. The rallies are becoming shorter and points are usually won over the top of the net using fast, flat exchanges. In this style of play, the shuttle flies speedily towards the body around chest level, making it very awkward for players to defend as they have little time to move their position and end up having to contort their bodies to defend the shots, which usually end in an error or a weak reply.

IMO, the style of attacking play is more lethal than the usual power smash. It is easier to defend a power smash flying towards you in a downward direction as compared to a fast flat, parallel drive coming at your chest level.

Setiawan/Ahsan, Liu/Qiu are forerunners of this style of play and they have enjoyed alot success with it as alot of MD pairs are not used to their style of attacking play.

Not discounting their skills and techniques, but i always feel that it is the style of play that contributed much to their success. If a strategy can be found to counter this style, that is where the challenge lies and time will tell if they can be the top pair of their generation.
    Last edited by nizze; 09-21-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    xu chen suddenly high fever wor.
    no xd final,wakakakakaka.
    in chinese we say,恬不知耻
    This is pathetic! This is definitely the back-office CBA trickery to boost ZN/ZYL's ranking. CBA chewed the spirit of gamesmanship and spitted it out on the ground. This mockery of the game has no end. Final of SS no less in a walk-over. Now Ma Jin can concentrate on the WD later. oh So.. predictable!

Ok Let's get on with LCW vs. Tago... then!
    Last edited by indrg; 09-21-2013 at 10:18 PM.

19. Likes limsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

WTF.

right...

I am getting a high fever too. but tomorrow i am going out for a bike ride.

seriously. i was hoping to see some good XD match. what a let down.

21. Likes Gingerbeer, nokh88, limsy, indrg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by indrg View Post
    This is pathetic! This is definitely the back-office CBA trickery to boost ZN/ZYL's ranking. CBA spit the spirit of gamesmanship and this has no end. Final of SS no less in a walk-over. Now Ma Jin can concentrate on the WD later. oh So.. predictable!
    This is nothing new for china . period..

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast