AT700 Vs MP88 (please advice)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by minimax, Jan 10, 2004.

1. minimax

minimax Regular Member

I understand AT700 and MP88 are quite different in characteristics (and price!); I am looking for a racket to replace my Ti-6 (20lb).

Experience: over 6 years in local clubs
    Match type: Mainly mixed double, (back of the court)
    Style: Aggressive / offensive
    Strength: forearm, wrist (punching action); I was told that I don’t swing my racket far enough (pulling back).
    Reasons for changing the racket:
    1 – Sold my spare racket - a Carlton Powerflow
    2 – Birthday coming up ;-)
    3 – Injury to the leg stopping me to do too many jump smashes (I am only 5'4"), and my elbow seems to suffering a bit after long matches, hence I would like a racket to “compensate” my smashing power.

Price comparison: I can get a MP88 for £69, AT500 for £74 and AT700 for £109. Which one shall I go for if I wish to maintain my aggressive style?

Thanks!

2. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

General opinion would indicate the AT700 as the best option for you, based on your style of play but don't discount the MP88. Even though MP88 is lightish racket aimed for more defensive gameplay, I've seen plenty of good players making great use of it's light weight and flexible nature to generate some pretty impressive smashes and fast paced mixed doubles games with pinpoint accurate control shots.

If you're style of play consists of blasting the opposition off the court with huge smashes like Simon Archer then I guess AT700 is hard to ignore. Or get a Ti-10, if you can find one, and punch holes through the net with it... ;)

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    In the UK the MP88 and AT700 are both 4U, I think the AT500 is 3U. I think the the AT's are totaly different to each other, If you read my review on the AT700 in the reviews section it will give some information on how it plays, there are others in there for some other views so you can gauge it from there.

I find the AT500 to be a more balanced racket, neither head heavy nor light. I have only tried it a couple of times but found it easier to control my shots with it than the AT700 but it lacked power and punch.

I loved the MP88 but think it is for a wristy plaver because I found it quite flexable and very easy to use because it suited my deceptive wristy style better than any of the stiffer rackets.

Again look at the reviews for these rackets and the more you can read on them the move objectivity you can get because of the variation of playing style and likes/dislikes etc.

I would agree with Ayl, if you have the strangth in your forearm a lighter racket would suit better and the AT700 is the more attacking or stiff of the 2 which would suit your play if you like to attack but you have to use it for a while to get used to the weight combo with a heavy head.

Do you use a normal grip or is it more of a panhandle because you punch the shuttle?

4. minimax

minimax Regular Member

Thanks for you advice AYL, I do like "blasting" opponents out or at least weaken their return as much as possible.

I am new to this forum and have spent 3 hours reading all reviews of the two rackets, just can't make up my mind.The AT700 was my first choice, but I have concerns with it being "over" head heavy and putting more strain on my elbow; for that am I correct to choose the MP88? Or am I over worry and should go for the AT700?

I do have a bad habit of holding the racket "panhandle" style most of the time until I am getting tired and change my style.

#4 minimax, Jan 10, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

When you hold the racket panhandle it puts a little more pressure on your elbow when you punch clear because of the motion which may be why you have a sore elbow.

The thing to remember about the MP88 and the AT700 is that they are both 4U, so they are in the same weight range, the only difference is the balance.

6. minimax

minimax Regular Member

Thanks!

Looks like it is the AT700 for me! :D

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Remember to test it out thoroughly before you buy

8. Toaster

Toaster Regular Member

How come u dont consider MP100? its a nice racquet, more powerful than MP88 but less head heavy than AT700

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Not available in the UK and has been discontinued for about 6-7 months, very hard to find any in shops. The only way to get one is to import

10. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

has anyone seen Wong Choon Hann smashing so hard that most of the return smashes of his opponent is half court?

Wong Choon Hann Only Uses A Cabonex 21.......

If u haven't bought yet, consider this two choice also Ti-10,Cab21

11. minimax

minimax Regular Member

After a search, I found a UK web site sells the MP100(!)

http://www.zencatalog.com/SportsDiscou/SportDiscount_YONEX_badminton_Rackets_39.html

Both the MP100 and Ti-10 are slightly heavier than the AT700, and they cost almost as much, and the AT700 is newer (better?) and I already have a Ti and would fancy a change. I don't know much about the CAB21 ...

I would like to stick to my original two choices; my priority is light and powerful for doubles player, based on the advices I am receiving (Thanks!), AT700 would be the best of the two, but now I found MP100 could be available from UK, I will have to check it out …. back to more research, I can almost write a dissertation on this :)

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

I would think this would be down to the training and his skill rather than any particular racket, if you gave him an AT700 are you suggesting that his game would fall apart?

If you gave a player say ranked 15 a Cab 21 they would automaticaly become better overnight.

Of course not.

The Ti 10 also is not available in the UK and is either 2U or 3U, it's stiffer than the AT700 and much stiffer than the MP88, it like the AT700 is head heavy. But in general weighs more.

The only Cab available is the Cab 20MP which is more of a defensive racket (in my opinion) because it lacks that power to get clears and smashes to the same level of other Yonex rackets.

Certain rackets suit certain players style, if you are a wristy player as minimax has said he is, then it stands to reason that you use a lighter racket taking more pressure off your wrist and forearm, if you use a 2U racket you are going to end up with very big forearms just like Popeye! The key is in being able to manouvre the racket and if you rely on your wrist the lighter the better. Combined with the flex, the more flexable the better because the flex generates the head speed for players that rely on their wrists more.

Indeed the perfect choice would have been the old Swing Power Ti and minimax could have tried them out to determine which one of the four flex's suited him best.

13. minimax

minimax Regular Member

Unfortunately, most the people I know and willing to lend me their rackets use Karakal or Carlton. I did try out the MP88 and it was definitely an improvement on manoeuvrability (and on my back hand) over my Ti-6, I was happy to buy it but it seems to lack of explosive power that I expect, this is the reason that I want advice on the AT700 based on my playing style.

I can’t find any shops in Bristol got the AT700 in stock and I don’t know anyone got one to try out. I always like Yonex and willing to spend the money to give it a try. If I don’t like it, there is always the ebay :)

14. Toaster

Toaster Regular Member

What about the MP-99? i think alot of world ranked doubles players use that on tour
    i certainly see alot of those MP99 recently on photo and TV

15. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    Dill:
    TiSP is certainly a great racket not notice by many in my opinion. I own a blue version of it in SX, but I dont think you can find it in many places now.

16. Dill

Dill Regular Member

I also have the blue but in SA the most flexable. I think they brought out an orange or redish colour and then discontinued it about a year ago.

17. Robbie

Robbie Regular Member

IT
    If in doubt get both racquets!! I couldn't decide between Ti-10 or MP88, than conclude that if I love the game that much, I'll buy then both. Mind you I personally wouldn't play with a 4U.

18. minimax

minimax Regular Member

Robbie, why not 4U? I am a wrist player, wouldn't it be better for me to have a lighter racquet?

19. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    One of the major advantages that people need to know about the 4U racket:

It doesn't suck out the strength out of you as much as other rackets!

For example, if you usually play 4 hours a day, using a 2U racket will make you tired as a dog, using a 4U racket will save your day.

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    100% agree. If you see my collection, u will know. ;)