eye-level badminton videos

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by strongline, Sep 20, 2013.

1. strongline

strongline Regular Member

Most badminton videos were recorded from an angle above, which makes it difficult for viewers to sense the shuttle's speed, depth, and flying path. In my opinion, and I think many badminton fans agree, that badminton video is better recorded from eye-level, makes much more sense, and helps viewer to learn skills better.

Do you think that if we(this forum) makes enough noise that can actually change how broadcasters do things?

2. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Agree with you but, no we wouldn't be able to make a difference.

What I really hate is when the director goes to a side on camera for a jump smash, then cant switch back to the behind court camera fast enough to see the shot :/

Here is a great view of Ahsan/ Setiawan vs KKK/ TBH from Aus open

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3WGpCvMo8w

3. strongline

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

There are two very similar threads in existence you know ;) . But I agree and disagree: personally I also shoot my videos like the above, maybe more from one corner to show a bit more dimension. But for tv purposes this doesn't work as it is too low and you can't see the backline clearly enough. Of course this doesn't mean they have to shoot it from the nosebleed section either but sometimes it is simply down to the restrictions of the stadium, not by choice.
    At the Dutch Open though they build a platform right in the middle of the stands rather than using the designed camera spots (more for sideways action of volleyball/basketball, etc.). Partly the organisation's fault for not placing the court in the middle of the arena :rolleyes: (purposely so there is room for a warmup court behind a curtain adjacent to the main finals court).
    The best camera angle for tv is something like the (Denmark Open/scratch that) Copenhagen Masters; ... eye-level is fine for replays ...

#4 demolidor, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, totally agree. AE is also excellent. As long as the net tape is at or near the baseline of the far court, it's great.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Actually Copenhagen Masters is a little on the low side as well. The arena isn't that big either to get a higher angle ... Low angles also don't show off the sponsors on the court very well.

All England
    is probably the best angle (thought Denmark Open was the same but is a little higher).

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

This angle is excellent and makes good use of someting modern called widescreen :D. Similar angle to All England I see but from more up close ..

[video=youtube;mkwT97UF9IE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkwT97UF9IE[/video]

Similar to but better than :p:

[video=youtube;LcLSCbXGErk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcLSCbXGErk[/video]

or more towards my current preference to be on one of the lines [for private cams]:

[video=youtube;Ro3tTOkg8NI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3tTOkg8NI[/video]

#7 demolidor, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  8. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep I like that 3rd one too. Shows both depth and speed.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I don't quite like the first video. The shuttle is out of the picture a lot.

The 2nd and 3rd ones are better.

With the game being more low shots than before, a lower angle may be become more common.

10. strongline

while the 3 clips you posted are better than average but my preference goes to what *__* posted (Aus Open, truly eye-level).

Interestingly all 4 videos on this thread have something in common - they all were made by amature. Those "professional" camera men focus on different things than what we fans care. I especially dislike closeup shots that follow players' faces. Also hate when they switch one angle to another unnecessarily.

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

In that case this later work (by yours truely) is even more eye level (unless you or Koo& Tan are 7'5" :D)

[video=youtube;q3dR6CqZYTY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3dR6CqZYTY[/video]

#11 demolidor, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Good point, didn't really watch the play but more how the court shows up on screen. Think I did some of the first videos like #1 but also noticed the shuttle disappearing and started to move down :).

13. fauci

fauci Regular Member

this is a nice one too.

[video=youtube;Z73xiwAlFeg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z73xiwAlFeg[/video]