Looking for Head-heavy Racket - Something between AT900T and VT80

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Barca, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Barca

Barca Regular Member

Both AT900T and VT80 are my current go-to rackets. I would like to know which racket has the head-heaviness that falls between them. I really can't think of any Yonex rackets that meet this criteria. Perhaps there are Victor rackets which fit the bill.

Please share your thoughts. Cheers!!!

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Add athletic tape to head of AT900T? Like Lin Dan ... (but not as much :p)
    The gap is not that big between them is it??

3. Barca

Barca Regular Member

Demolidor, your idea is a good option. But I would like to avoid doing so and rather get a new racket. Yes, I can feel the significant difference in head-headviness between them.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Both 3U? .............

5. Barca

Barca Regular Member

Both 4U. I only play men doubles. I purchased the LYD N 3U recently. I was expecting it to me on par or slightly head heavier than AT900T. But I actually find it more head light.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

In that case, from my previous experience and measurements with both those rackets and various Victor rackets, I'd say 3U MXJJS would fit your requirements.

7. Barca

Barca Regular Member

Visor, how do MX80 & MX70 compared to MXJJS? I have read some review and seems like MX80 is the most head-heavy and stiff out of these three. I presume that it is pretty close to VTZF which is too heavy and stiff for my liking.

8. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I am currently using both the Z-Force (3U and 4U) and 3U MX80. If the Z-Force is head heavy, then the MX80 feels only slightly head heavy to me. In other words, it is a lot more headlight than the Z-Force. I also previously owned the 3U VT80, and the 3U MX80 is more headlight than this too.

9. Barca

Barca Regular Member

Since MX80 is more head-light than VT80, do you feel that the MX80 is lesser in the power department compared to VT80? Does this also mean that MX80 is better in maneuverability and defense?

10. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

MX80 is more head-light than VT80, but it still has the feel of a head heavy racket. In terms of power, I feel it's about the same, but it requires a different swing to achieve it. I think I can swing the MX80 slightly faster than the VT80 and VTZF, and so perhaps this compensates for the less head heaviness.

In terms of maneuverability, the MX80 feels more so, but in terms of actual "defense" (that is, what happens in real-time playing), again it's about the same but requires some adjustments.

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Anyway, I think what you're looking for is either the MX80 or the MX-JJS (apparently the MX-JJS is the same as the MX80 except less stiff). However, it might be worth waiting for the MX90 to be released, as apparently it replaces the MX-JJS.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Not many rackets are as super stiff as MX80, it's too tiring and demanding to use for many, including me. :p The MX series are only slightly head heavy with dry bp of around 295mm whereas ZF is around 312mm!

I'd say MXJJS, 70 and likely the newly released 90 are slightly less stiff than the ZF and with bp that is in the range that you're seeking.

#12 visor, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  13. Barca

Barca Regular Member

I just purchased the LYD N about a week ago. I can feel the frame vibration when the birdie contact on the string bed. This is not present with any of the Yonex rackets I have. It felt kind of weird and I am not really used to it.

Does the MX series has the same trait?

14. visor

visor Regular Member

The MX frame is more substantial than the BS frame, so will feel sturdier on impact. However it'll still have a tad more vibration than VT80.

Yonex frames in general have more dampening, but now I prefer the "liveliness" of the Victor feel.

15. Barca

Barca Regular Member

Ok. I guess it's a matter of getting used to. I shall continue to play the LYD N to see if this Victor feel will grow on me or 'annoy' me.

I will look out for the MX JJS in the buy/sell section. Thanks for the valuable input, Visor!!!

16. visor

visor Regular Member

No problem. :)

Oh and btw, if you're finding it too head light, you can always hold it lower ie closer to the butt. Gives you more power and leverage.

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The MX appears more head light then the 900t. If you are looking for similar head-heaviness, you better look at the Victor Thruster 8000 or Legend II

18. Barca

Barca Regular Member

Oops... I have just bought a MX London. Haven't had the chance to play yet. I shall know the answer tomorrow night. Thanks, Renbo.

19. Barca

Barca Regular Member

After testing the MX London for a few games, I can conclude that MX London is indeed more head light than AT900T. Thruster series would most likely fall into the head-heavy category of AT900T and VT80.

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO the MX London is the worst racket of the MX range. I think the MXJJS is a good tweener. Easiest way is to visit a shop and compare the different Victors.