The secret to good badminton.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by tropicalmouse, Jan 11, 2004.

1. tropicalmouse

tropicalmouse Regular Member

Student
    I was watching this badminton video between Chen and Shong (I think... can someone tell me who won? Only showed 2 sets) in the 2003 World Championships...

Anyway I put it in slow-motion to pick out what they're doing easier. Well I found a secret to good badminton: jump from center court to the other side and smash the birdie in mid-air, before landing.

2. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    That might be a little bit harder said than done.

Phil

3. tropicalmouse

tropicalmouse Regular Member

Student
    Well if that's the case, I'm good to go.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The jump smash is one of many strokes and it is not necessarily the secret to good badminton: it is possible for a good defensive singles player to beat a jump smasher, because the game is so spontaneous and there are many ways to neutralise a jump smash. It takes an all round game to find the secret to good badminton, including the greatest of them all, what lies between your ears.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Shon won the 3rd set, and took the win 2:1.

Jump smash is one of the most often used stroke in badminton. However, nothing is perfect, as it might make your next defensive move slower (off balance, taking time in air, etc). Seeing many times, a good defensive player return a smash with a nice drop, and leave the young aggressive opponent (who used jump smash) helpless looking at the shuttle rolled over the net.

If you tend to be an aggressive attacking style player, then, jump smash should be a good stroke if you can use it correctly and effectively (good power, good timing, and know when you should or NOT to use it). However, if you are not consistent with ur basics at the moment, don't rush for some "cool shot". One step at a time. ;)

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I have to agree with taneepak. Try jump smashing all the time and you will be a spent force in no time and could well injure yourself in the process. Then you will have to spend some time to recover and start training all over again. Depending on the severity of your injury, a really bad one may put you out for months and meanwhile you may lose the zest for playing again.

A good jump smash is but one of the many tools of your badminton trade. There are many more tools that you can use to good advantage depending on circumstances. But the most important tool of all is your what is in your head. To be able to select the right tool, to decide what plan of action, to motivate and pysche yourself, to tell yourself never to give up, yes you can do it - it is all between your ears as tnp has emphasized.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    And lots of hard work!

8. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    In singles, if you're playing against a decent player, you'd often find that you won't get much opportunity to actually perform the jump smash as they'd most likely make you run all over the court rather than take everything you've got head on. You'd have to play a tight net shot or even a tumbling one to boot to force them into a lift high or short enough to give you the chance.

In doubles, however, you're at it more since when you're attacking, the opposition has to clear the shuttle past the net player to prevent an easy kill for you, which more often than not means that the clears will be high, allowing you the time to do the jump smash.

I regularly play singles and doubles and I am a jump smasher. However, it wasn't exactly the easiest thing to get into. Took a bit of time to get used to things like timing of jump and variable heights I hit the shuttle at.

It's by no means the secret to good badminton at all. Sure, it's good to have in your arsenal, but if you can't force your opponent to give you short or high clears anyway then it's going to be rather redundant.

9. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    Personally I would not recommend someone to watch this game in slow motion. This game is not a good match with many many unforce errors. There are many more better matches to watch I am sure than this one. Wong Choong Han's jump smash is one of a kind (cross-court) I reckon, I think u will learn more by watching him jump smashing in slow motion.

Just my 2cents

10. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

I think you can benefit from watching any pro matches in slow motion. If you want to learn the proper form, stroke, or footwork, then unforced errors will not matter, especially in slow motion.

11. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Actually jump smash from the center court to the other side (as tropicalmouse first mentioned) is not hard at all. The key is to recover from that jump smash and be prepared for the next shot. With practice, one can recover faster than usual. Another key is the placement and the accuracy of such jump smash that the opponent has a very hard time returning the shot.

The secret to good (not excellent) badminton is lots of hard work and practices. Watching how the pros do a jump smash is certainly encouraged, however, remember that in order to do such move you need to have at least the basics down and more or less the same physical fitness.

Cheers. :)

12. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    the secret to good badminton...

usually can't be readily seen by the viewer. instinct, deception, and experience comes only with high level training and hard work. what appears easy only comes from endless hours of practice.

what we typically see is the result. what goes on in the minds of the players while playing and executing their various shots, that's the secret. each have their own way of determine the best stroke for the given situation, like a chess match.

13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    The red pill...

...take it and you can fly like Superman after learning that everyone is just a computer generated person...

14. SchrodingerCat

SchrodingerCat New Member

looking for one
    single, double

I am going to try tropicalmouse's suggestion.

But single players tend to use the center for his/her base. Double players may have different jumping points.

15. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Re: single, double

Not excactly true for Singles , as base changes in attacking and defending, so base maybe forward of or futher back than centre.

While Double base is depended not only on attacking , defending, but transition and
    cordination in regard to positioning.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you must do the jump smash in singles, you must also use deception for it to be effective. You must use the same "jump smash" movement to vary your strokes from smashes to attacking clears to drops. If you don't do this and you smash everytime you jump, your opponent will prepare for your smash. You don't want to do that. You want to put your opponent in two minds at all times.
    The advantages of the jump smash are:
    1. You gain height and so steepness in your smash.
    2. You also hit the shuttle earlier, thus giving your oponent fractionally less time to recover.
    The disadvantages are:
    1. It can be tiring.
    2. Recovery will also be rather slower.
    Use the shot economically, when speed and steepness are essential.

17. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    the secret to good badminton is not the jump smash.

Its the shot before the jump smash that forces your opponent to give you a weak jump smashable return.

:)

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

How very true. A very good example of using your head!

19. other

other Regular Member

Student
    lol.....btw....lateral jump smashes......someone broke his ankle when he tried that last week. don't do it in a very competitive match.