Hi to everyone

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by ymq03, Jan 12, 2004.

1. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

It is the good place to do my 1st formal post.

History:

I was originally from China. When I was a kid, I only hit the bird at the back yard. Badminton was not popular at all at 70s and 80s in China. I had never seen a real court and never known the rules at all. I played all other sports seriously (table tennis, volleyball, basketball and soccer) and represented my school teams. Of course you never can compete with kids from special sports school except table tennis since my father was a former Chinese player.

I went New Zealand to carry on my high school and university. During university year, lots of my classmates were from Malaysia. They were surprised that a person from China did not know badminton rules (at that time, Yang Yang and Zhao were dominant world badminton.) They taught me the rules and basics. I played competitive badminton on real court first time. After graduation, I lived in Christchurch, New Zealand (I saw Adelina was from Christchurch, too) and kept playing with my old classmates. But they went back to Malaysia one by one and my badminton playing time getting dropped.

After marriage, I moved to USA to advance my career after lived in New Zealand 11 years. After a year, I found a place in Portland Oregon to play badminton (courts were nice, ceiling was high except the lighting was a bit disappointed). It is only 5 minutes walking distance to my house. I started to get into the game. Now days, I played badminton for fun and socially, and kept me fit, too. I enjoyed a lot.

I just went back to China two weeks ago and found out badminton was getting popular now. I bought US$500 badminton gears for myself (a Yonex AT700 for me) and my playmates in Oregon and brought back the badminton tapes my parents recorded for me last year.

BC/BF/BR

I found this Forum when I was searching something in badminton half years ago. It is a great Forum and brings me more close to badminton. I read nearly all past posts.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    This surely makes me a little bit jealous. I have friends going back to visit, but still having a hard time to get all the stuff i need. Most of them don't know badminton at all, and don't know what to buy (unless I email everything in detail, even how the shuttle tube should look like). The worst is, they still don't know why I want them to carry such "useless stuff", which has to waste their valueable space and time. :(

There's a new member in my club, who recently moved from Oregon. He was the former president of University of Oregon badminton club. But we were told the program was shut down after he left, due to lack of participation and organization...

Nice to know u can find a place to play fairly easily.

3. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

Wow, even my wife complained that my badminton stuff took too much space while packing. So you need to say many thanks to your friends if they can bring something for you. The good thing is my playmates at the gym are enjoying their new rackets. There are several good web sites you can check out badminton stuff in China. Then you can ask your friends to go there to buy directly so save their time. The price and service is much better than general sports shop. You get real thing, too. For Yonex stuff, they are slightly cheaper than Yonex shop in Beijing.

University of Oregon is not in Portland. It is at a small university town. It was sad to hear the club was shut down. Actually, Portland has several places to play and has a stable badminton population. Most of people met during state game and Oregon open. I only go to one gym since it is so close to my house.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Malaysians, they are all crazy about badminton! when i was in UK for highschool, there are 8 ppl in the team, 5 from Malaysia, 2 from HK, and 1 from Germany. the Malaysians were the keenest and i learned a lot of badminton from them!

they even brought me to watch the All England, i hardly knew what it was, but we had to travel for 4 hours to watch the final... i wish i was as crazy about badminton then!

oh ... and welcome ymq03 to BF!!