Pre-Stretching Grips - getting rid of wrinkles.

Discussion in 'Grip' started by tobradex, Sep 26, 2013.

1. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    The problem: Slight small wrinkles at the bottom of my grip (where I start).

I grip from the bottom of the racquet up and start with the flat end of the grip and end up with the tapered end up top. I like it this way since it doesn't ruin my under-grip and I don't necessarily need tape when I finish.

For the most part this is great but the one pet-peeve I have is that when I wrap around the bottom and then start angling up, small wrinkles appear at the butt of the grip. The rest seems to go on fine.

One solution I've seen is the pull the grip taught/tight and stretch as much as possible to reduce wrinkles. This somewhat works for me but I still end up with slight wrinkles.

Another solution I've heard is the pre-strech the grip. I'm game to try this but I think I'm doing it wrong as I find it doesn't help at all so far. Am I supposed to stretch the grip along the flat end in a particular direction? Or just stretch it out in general?

Any other solutions or comments are appreciated.

Game on.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Which grip are you using?

There'll always be a few wrinkles when I do it too, no matter how careful I'm applying or stretching it... but it won't affect play.

But one tip is to advance the wrap with a smaller angle, say 15-20 degree instead of 45 degree, to minimize wrinkles.

#2 visor, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  3. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    I've used a number of grips in the past. A few different Wilson grips, some Head, Karakal, Yonex Graps, Gamma etc.
    These days I'm trying out RKEP G11 and G09s.

Yeah I've tried covering the lip of the butt a bit and starting with less of an angle before slowly increasing the angle but I don't want too thick of an end.

I'll keep trying some various ways. I heard a new one about heating the grip. Sounds gimmicky. I'll try the stretching techniques first.

Thanks for the tips.

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    you know how the adhesive part is cut at an angle, i cut the same angle on the flat part without the adhesive and grip it, that will minimize most of the wrinkle from the excess of grip. if you are using G09, then good luck to you, they are pretty thick and pretty stiff, so stretching it is going to be difficult compared to other grips. the G11 is wonderful and very similar to the yonex super grap and the gamma supreme, very elastic.

in my opinion, because of the change in surface area from the butt cap up the handle, you'll never really be able to get rid of the wrinkles unless you grip it like a replacement grip, without overlapping. but if you've figure out a way, please post some pics

by the way, heating up the grip is not a good thing because it takes away the tackiness of the grip, i've done it for other reasons but please don't heat up the grip. :)

5. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Good idea about cutting an angle. I'll do that next time too.