Next time increase 1lbs. Addicted to increase tension.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ucantseeme, Sep 27, 2013.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Hello guys,

I have a problem. I'm addicted to increase my tension. Don't laugh. I'm serious.

Now my problem.

Actually my tension is 29lbs with VS850. It feels right atm, but after some hours of play it's too soft for me. It don't feel good for my liking anymore, so I cut it before I break it. I have this problem since 2-3 years. I increased my tension but not find a long time tension which makes me happy. Only the first and second weeks are superb but than the performance and feels drops. IMO it's not a mind thing which tells me that I want to feel like a pro or something of being a big head. I don't feel right and comfortable after this 10 hours of play. High tension feels easy on my arms and I don't have any problems. I like the control and noticed that I benefit more from higher tension. Anything else is to spongy and does not feel right.

Does anybody make this notice?
    Is this a fact of high tension that this feeling only last for a short time?
    Does it make sense to string my rackets 2 or 4 lbs higher to have a longer time of good feeling?
    Maybe one day I will end up with string and tension X but will this day come?
    How is your experience with broken rackets? Especially users with 32 lbs and beyond?

Thanks for reading and every input is welcome. :)

2. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Well the VS850 is one of the biggest tension losers out there.
    So maybe you want to try something that doesn't drop tension as quick.

However someone did say that there is a newer generation of VS850 that has much better tension retention.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree, VS850 is next to BG65 in terms of poor tension retention. Perhaps you should try BG80, nice hard sharp feel and retains tension better.

Oh and most high tension players who play 8 hrs a week or more will need to re-string every few weeks due to noticeable loss in tension. That's part of the game, so you better find a good and cheap stringer or learn to string yourself. :)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    VS850 when new has one of the best feeling of all strings.

however, after a week or so, not sure what is the exact process that happened, the crisp power feeling goes away.

i am not 100% that it is purely due to tension drop, as the string is still rather tight. but the crisp feel is gone and it goes dull.

5. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    VS850 is actually my go to, because it is for free. Previous strings were BG80, BG66 Ultimax and NBG98. Have experiences with NBG99 and Zymax 65 on my SW35s. All were strung between 28 and 31lbs.
    I would not say only the VS850 has this phenomenom. The Zymax 65 is actually quite good but not satisfying. Maybe I'm looking for the Eierlegende Wollmilchsau. :D [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION], actually I'm looking for a stringing maschine.
    I will try to go for Zymax 62 @ 29lbs on Monday. Maybe it is the feeling which I'm looking for.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

ZM62 at 29 lbs!? It'll break even before the racket is removed from the machine! :p

But as Elisha and kwun mentioned, VS850 has some weird pros/cons about it ... probably has to do with the material core or jacket or something :). I've also heard that Victor is looking at improving this aspect of VS850. Will be looking forward to it, as this used to be my go-to string also... until I found out about ZM62. :D But then I only use a lowly 23-24 lbs. :eek:

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Zm62 @ 29 feels very good. But don't expect to get more than a few days out of it if u are a strong hitter

8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    That will be ok. I heard alot about the performance and for me performance is more important than durability. A few days with ZM62 and it breaks or a few days with VS850 and it feels bad is nearly the same because I need/want a new stringing job. For the current league games I have enough go to rackets so the ZM 62 will only be an experiment on 2 MX80's. @ Kwun, I have the red ZM62. ;)

9. HHXIONG

HHXIONG Regular Member

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

VS850 is one of the worst for tension loss. Problem is, if you go too far with the tension you will take it past its power limit, so you can't really win either way.

IME, VS850 is fine to 32, but probably not much further.