Racquet repair

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by taneepak, Jan 12, 2004.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There is now a badminton racquet manufacturer in China who can repair broken racquets, specifically broken shafts or frames.
    The cost is HK$200 to repair a broken frame. The price includes a free BG65 re-string. The cost to repair a broken shaft is also HK$200 with or without a re-string with BG65. An additional HK$20 will be charged for BG85 or BG68Ti. The repair racquet can withstand your original tension without any problem. Furthermore the repairs are guaranteed for life, provided the same spot is broken again.
    It takes about 2 weeks for the repair.

2. n_0163

n_0163 Regular Member

I wonder if you still have the same feel and power though from it....It doesnt seem likely

3. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    Does that repairer service international customers or just locally? Whats the deal if a customer lives in Australia? Is there a website or any information about this repairer?

It'll be good if I can get my broken racquets repaired without any loss of the original performance.

:D

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I don't know how to contact the China source. I do have the Hong Kong connection, who is a distributor of badminton equipment and supplies and an OEM of stringing machines. The price I qouted was from the HK distributor.
    I crashed my MP99 recently and the racquet is now a bit distorted and out of alignment with a hairline crack and a tiny chip near the grommet. I will let him repair it, and if it is no good, I will ask him to refund the money.

5. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    There's a guy in Melbourne who does racket repairs also. However his job is strictly a repair only job and as result makes the racket extra head heavy (assuming it's cracked on the head) and he charges around $30 to repair each section of damages.

Had a MP100SP repaired by him and when I got it back it became the most powerful racket I ever owned! however forget excuting touch shots unless you have wrist control and strength of international level players....

6. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    hahahaha...was it the ol'backyard jobbie using bricks and mortar?

:D

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I had a racquet repaired on the head at about 3 o'clock. The extra weight at the point of repair unbalanced it so much I never played with it again.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If this fellow in Hong Kong does the same thing to me on my MP99, I will just grab one of his new MP99 off his display cabinet.

9. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    I have tried to repair my racket before, but it cannot support 24 x 26 and to be no use for me.

What is the maximum tension can the racket support after reparied?? Would the balance can be kept?? Any Warranty??

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

my repair was to a Carlton AS-Ti in December 2002, it was restrung at 26lb.
    I haven't played with it since, but I gave it to a friend who has used it every week since. So the durability of the repair is pretty good. I believe the repair came with a 1 year warranty. At the time the cost of repair was much lower than a new racquet (and I didn't realise it would unbalance it) so it seemed reasonable.
    Since then I've only bought racquets from ebay, so now, to me, a repair is not economic.

11. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

I had a friend that recently had an MP99 repaired but didn't even last 10 minutes.

12. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Call me stubborn, but I have yet to be convinced that a repaired racquet can be 1/2 as good as it used to before it broke. The density of the materials used in the fix / patch, the grain patterns of the carbon / graphite fibres will be all wrong (compared to the original materials). Why spend a third of what a new racquet would cost when you're only getting something marginal in return?

-Rick

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i tend to agree with Traum.

the use for such a racket imho would be for training, feeding shuttles, shadow drills with racket, or swinging practices.

a racket with a cracked frame would be ideal for fitting a head cover on and then doing swinging practice with.

14. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    I agree with Traum, I had a racquet repaired this way a long time ago. After the repair it odesn't feel the same, also the repair spot tends to feel heavy, thus
    the balamce of the racquet is not right. Apart from cost, it is better to get another.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You have a valid point there, even though the racquet repair is done by a company that makes racquets. The MP99 frame and shaft have a special titanium which the repair company might not have.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Tension is the same as your original tension. As to balance it should not be a problem. Guarantee is lifetime, only for the repaired spot. But, most likely, the material used to repair your racquet may not be of the same composition. If you are picky, this may not be for you.

17. asriwn

asriwn Regular Member

Desa Paya Mengkuang, Gelang Patah,Johor, Malaysia
    I repair my broken racquet and the cost are less then RM20.It can be strung at 25 to 27 Ibs but feel a little heavy.

18. pelawancai

pelawancai Regular Member

my Carbonex 21 racket handle was broken, can it be repair??

19. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    If it was just the wood handle and nothing else (cap, shaft etc)., it should be pretty easy to fix. Just find a block of wood (balsa if you want close to the original), sand and shave down to the original shape, then reattach it to the shaft with a nail and glue. Well I'm not sure myself, but it seems pretty easy to fix if it is just the handle, best to ask a more consolidated source, ;)

After reading this topic, any word on what became of the MP-99 to be repaired? :p

20. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    For some infos,i guess if it's a single point crack,then it's much easier to repair,n it still can hold preety high tension.But if it's already more than one point crack,then the durability will be much lesser..which means it cant no longer hold a high tension.