Effect of working out before badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Phil, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Today I worked out after school, and about 4 hours later I went to badminton. I couldn't produce any power, and my shots were quite inaccurate, and I felt so awkward and weak with my racquet.

I'm thinking that working out causes the muscles to stay tightened/damaged, so they can't relax which is what is needed for best performance in badminton. Does anyone know about this kind of thing?

Phil

2. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Certainly working out will tighten your muscle and reduce its range of motion, especially if you are training on heavy weights and low reps. You should intermix your weight training with 15 min. bits of cardio exercises after each circuit to remove some of the latic acid buildup in your muscles from the weights. This will reduce the stiffness that you might experience otherwise. The Jack Downey books (i.e. Excelling in Badminton, and Getting Fit for Badminton) on badminton covers this quite a bit. Combine this with good stretching technique should keep you flexible, though you'll still be pretty tired for badminton if you are working out intensely, there's no way around that.

I've also been doing an extra 30-40 minutes on my exercise bike at 70% of my max heart rate after my badminton session when I can. Overtime I've found that this has increased my stamina when I play for long rallies, and back to back games. So instead of working out before, how about after?

3. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yes..muscles need time to recover. for me, one day i go workout, the next day i go play badminton, i still need time to get used to hitting the shuttle the again.

as for working out before playing..i always stay away from that. i'll usually workout in the days between badminton playing days or the occasional working out after playing badminton.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Happens to me as well. So IF :) do any workouts, I stay off badminton the same day and do only very light (ahem!) workouts.

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Like how light ;)?

6. teddy

teddy Regular Member

The easiest way to reduce this effect is to train after badminton playing.

7. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions everyone. Now I know what to do!

Phil

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

depends on the training.
    I don't think you should lift weights when you are tired. More so free weights than using machines. If you want to build muscle you should be doing low reps with heavy weights. Being tired increases the chances of injury. And it is harder to lift with correct form when tired.

9. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Hi, Phil
    I believe this only occurs when you stop for a certain amount of time and the muscles get rested before playing badminton. Prior to september, I used to work out for an hr, and then head rite downstairs to play badminton. In my case I was using heavy weights(which was 40lbs dumbbell press), and 3X10 reps (sometimes even going up 5 lbs after every set) When I start playing badminton it actually gave me too much power for barely even hitting the bird, making the bird fly out lots. All you gotta do in this case is to hit lighter and it'd be no problem.

Currently I weight lift everyday I do goto school (Every weekday except wednesday because I have no school wednesdays) I do maximum weight (that I can handle... which is 70lbs dumbbell press) and 3X3-5 reps for upper body, and low weight 3X maximum rep (usually around 40) for legs. I can easily survive 2 hrs of intense smashing/clearing drills, but I'm still working on the legs, which dies after about an hr of 6 corners running.

I'm trying to get maximum size for upper body and minimum size/maximum endurence for legs

Depending on what you want you may want to work out at different times (or change weight/rep ratio of when you lift)

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Re: Re: Effect of working out before badminton

Actually I get the same effect after warming up with a game of racquetball. Just this one time though, I didn't play hard enough to weaken my baddy game. At the time, I felt my touch was gone or something... every overhead clear went out. Smashes and drives were harder, but netshots were completely shitty.

11. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: Re: Re: Effect of working out before badminton

That's because the muscles have been keeping up with the heavier squash racket, so when you switch over back to lighter badminton rackets, it will still stay in the form best suited for using the squash racket for some time

12. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    interestingly enough, i get the opposite effect.... after training, i find i play better... until i hit the wall and collapse from exhaustion....