How much is stringing labor in your place?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Sandman, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Sandman

Sandman Regular Member

buisinessman
    I just realized that we probably have one of the cheapest stringing rates in the world. Aside from those who string their own rackets on their own machines, are there prices out there cheaper than these:

In a mall-based sporting goods store:
    Labor for Store-bought string- 50.00 Philippine Pesos per racket
    string brought in-60.00 Php

A "pro shop" by the municipal tennis courts charge 40.00 Php

56.00Php = 1 USD

So....

What are the stringing rates in your city?

Stringing is cheap here, but strings are not. BG85 costs 410.00Php, BG80 costs 385.00 and BG66 costs 310Php. I have to buy higher-end strings(BG88ti, Cyber Natural etc.) over the net.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here in US, the labor is the main issue. Even though, the string price is still higher than many other places, but when compare with the labor, the material cost is down to min.

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7877&highlight=string+labor

By the way, with "business competition" these days (many ppl bought string machine and collect business: I am one of them :D), the price for pro shops is going down. The updated price for a sample pro shop is:

1. Member: $16 (BG65 + labor) or $5 for patch

2. Non-member: $20-22 (BG65 + labor)

3. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Wow LB, I see why you invested in a strining machine...

Here, if you have string, it's only ~$8.00 CAD (5-6USD) and for a full restring with BG65 and labour included, it's $21.00.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Price is only part of the reason, other benefit I got including:

1. Gain more buddies around with good service and lower price (sometimes even free of charge for close ones).

2. Feel more free to try out different kinda string and tension combo.

3. Gain one more skill.

4. Burn some spare time if no good TV programs... :eek:

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

on a serious note, i have said many times that one can't see the stress profile on a frame. I see many use the lowest price as their only criteria for stringing, even 1 to 2 $ difference they opt for the lowest cost one. A crack racket (high noon) or being a loser end in the clash makes the 1 or 2 $ quite insignificant. In my (day) job, i see majority contract/project works don't go to the lowest bids. I'm not saying lowest bid is bad, u have to know what goes with that pricing.

#5 cooler, Jan 13, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  6. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

In Shanghai China, the stringing costs only 5 RMB (1US$ = 8.27 RMB), so it is cheaper than Sandman mentioned. The string cost less, too. BG65 costs only US$3. It is Yonex authorized shop.

In Portland Oregon USA, buying a BG65 and string at a Yonex authorized shop costs me US$25. If you bring your own string, it costs US$15 for the labor. The quality may not be good as the Shanghai one.

Ask a friend to string for me, it costs US$10 with my own string.

7. QWJr

QWJr Regular Member

stringing with bg 65 in ger: 13-16 euro

8. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    In most of US places, it will cost 10-20 dollars for the labor.

In my place (I am the stringer, woo-hoo!:D), if you buy me a case (24 cans)of cherry coke, I think I will do it :p

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think I can understand what you mean, and I am 100% agree with most of your concern. As for myself, anyone ask for more than 25 lb in tension, or having a really beatup racket, I always politely "reject" such task, or refer them to more experienced (at least, using better tools) stringers. Why? I don't want them to take a greater risk, while attempt to save just several $.

However, the above 2 quoted statements, I could not fully agree:

1. A crack racket with improper hit or clash does not necessary is the stringer's fault. Of course, stringer might has something to do with it, but i don't think any "pro stringer" can give warranty to his customers, say, "hey, ur racket will never break, no matter how much u abuse it". We see elites broken their rackets during matches, but did not hear any licensed stringer on the court side got fired right after it. Overall, it's the trust between these 2. It's hard to build the reputation, and personally, when I do my job, I try my best to put my heart into it.

2. Lowest bid might be bad, if it sacrifice the quality. However, a bad job with high pricing is surely even worse, isn't it?

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

LOL, u r just as bad as BRL;)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

LB, i hope u didnt took my post personally because it wasn't.
    First, experience isnt everything, it is the time and care one put into it, and knowing their ability, like u have mentioned. Experience person can rush it or watches tv on the side isn't good either. Second, having expensive machine is no guarantee of a good job either nor a low cost machine yield bad stringing.

1. A crack racket with improper hit or clash does not necessary is the stringer's fault. I have witnessed in several occasions of seeing other people rackets having scratch marks or real hair line crack right after stringing. ie, it was damaged right after stringing. I'm not talking about cheapo racket, ex Aerotus80 @22 lbs

but i don't think any "pro stringer" can give warranty to his customers, say, "hey, ur racket will never break, no matter how much u abuse it" . Yes, they do, most reputable/authorized dealers will give warranty against breakage, racket and /or string.

12. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    And of course on the flip side, if you charge exuberant amounts of money to string a racquet, it doesn't mean that you're any better than the competition. I think it's best that you find one or two stringers that do a good job for you and stick with them.

Personally I charge $5 CDN to string a racquet if string is provided, mainly because I enjoy stringing racquets if I have the time. :D

13. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    In Canberra I string for AUD$20, or AUD$10 if string is supplied.

Have had varoius experienceswith racquets - worst one was stringing a relatively new Carton Airblade at 15lbs with Yonex BG65, using two piece stringing techniuqe at a tournement last year, only to hear a snap on when nearing finshing the cross strings, and see a break at 8 O'clock position.

14. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    $10 CAD + string

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from my experience, there is little correlation between cost and the quality of stringing.

i have paid $5 and got a good job done, and i have once paid $15 and got my racket deformed.

find someone who has a good reputation and try them out, if you like the result, just pay them. don't judge them by the amount they charge.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Don;t worry about that, I never think about that way. ;)

Really? Then, what about if the case of obvious mis-usage?