User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 21
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vaughan, ON
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Reccomend me a racket!

    So I have been trying to gather as much data as I could these past few months, comparing different rackets and such. But I still haven't narrowed it very much.

    I'm looking for an balanced doubles racket (that's good for attacking/defending) that can also be used for singles. I'm an intermediate player and an all-rounder. I'm 6'' (not sure if that makes any difference). I'm also currently using a light racket approx 82g 'vanilla' and I'm a hard-hitter (at least I think I am), but I'm looking for a departure from the headlight racket area (b/c I already have one). The brands I'm looking at are Victor, Adidas, and Yonex.

    What I think I want:

    From Victor:
    Mx80: I believe I might like the feedback of the racket as well as the power I hear about.
    BS12: I heard that this was a good doubles racket, don't know much else.

    From Adidas:
    Duoforce: Kwun's review got me very interested, however I don't know much about this racket other than the reviews.
    Adi-power pro: Reverse tapered shaft may be useful in pushing more powerful shots.

    From Yonex:
    Nanospeed 9900: Seems to be an overall favourite in the forums, wherever I search. Seems to be a very good all-rounder racket, according to reviews.
    Arc-Saber 12: Apparently also a very good racket for a controlled doubles rally.
    4U VTZF: I want an explosive racket, but since I'm used to a light racket, 4U might help me in the transition.

    I'd like to hear your opinions or other recommendations!

    EDIT: I can't really demo these rackets unless some of my friends have them. I live in Toronto, and the only play that demo's is Browns. They only give you 3 days. That's not quite enough for me.

  2. #2
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Two rackets from adidas you have to try. APP and AZP.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vaughan, ON
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Was going to include AZP, but I was afraid that the racket might be a bit to similar to my current racket (XFeel Lite), however if I ever get the chance, I will!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was looking at the Babolat website, and I saw that your XFeel Lite has BP of 285, medium flex shaft and the 82 weight is somewhere in 4U range (80-84g).
    I only have VTZF 3UG5 + 4UG5 and N90III, so I can only comment on VTZF 4U from your list.

    VTZF 4U has BP of 305-307 (mine is 305, but I think Visor or someone else posted his VTZF 4U as 307?) and the shaft of VTZF is extra stiff.
    So, you may want to try demo first and play with VTZF 4U for like 2-3 hours straight, and see whether you can adapt to it or not.
    If it's too heavy, you may want to try ARC11 (not ARC 12..)
    I tried a friend's ARC11 last week, and it felt easier to swing around than VTZF but the smashes were not as solid.

    Btw, I don't think your height makes any difference with choosing racket that fits you... It's the player's skills that matter

    Anyway, good luck with choosing the right racket!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Even if it's 3 days, try to demo it anyway. Organize times to play during those 3 days in advance. I feel that the only issue with demoing rackets is the string setup which may not be ideal for you.

    You might want to consider resale value when buying some of these rackets. If the racket doesn't work for you, it might be difficult to find a buyer willing to pay a fair price. It usually takes me months to find a buyer for say Apacs, or even my VT80. So adidas rackets might be a concern for that reason, and maybe even Victor if it's not a popular model.

    Also, if you've been playing a lot and are pretty good with your strokes, the jump to stiffer rackets won't affect you too much. I wouldn't recommend head heavy and stiff rackets yet (VT80, VTZF, MX80, etc.) until you've tried them as they are quite demanding. Of the rackets you've listed, I would go for the Arc 11 as it seems the most all-around of the list since it's good for singles and doubles.
    Last edited by phaaam; 10-03-2013 at 02:05 AM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ucantseeme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany, Northrhine Westfalia
    Posts
    831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    IMO a VTZF, MX80 and NS9900 are a bit demanding for singles if you haven't got an excellent technique, muscles, joints and a fast swing.

    I demoed nearly all Adidas rackets and IMO they are not worth the money and not suitable for me. But everyone has different views. They didn't caught my attention.

    3 days for demo is pretty usual and enough time. Mostly the first impressions are enough to judge if this type of racket suits your game and abilities. If you need more time to "grow" in a racket it's actually the wrong choice for you at the moment. If it's too heavy and you must work hard on your defence it's the wrong one and so on.

    I think Arc11, Arc7, BS11, BS09 and MX60 are rackets for average Joes, suits alot people and are pretty allround, less demanding and easy on arms.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vaughan, ON
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the comments guys. I found another place that demos that takes cash deposits (MJ's), since I don't have a credit card :P

    Also, for my other details, I play about 4 times a week. 2 times at my community center, another at a club, and I also train every week at my training center.

    As for the avoiding head heavy rackets, I'll probably get one to demo, but I think you guys are probably right about that.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Markham, Ont
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lee's also lets you try racquets out but I think only while you are there. I didn't have to give them any credit card info to try.

    As for denaturing from head light and wanting a "balanced doubles" racquet, you're prolly gonna get a ton of varying opinions. Everyone likes something different.

    I think, going from head light to head heavy will change your swing/timing and will throw off your initial feel for a racquet. As such, if you are looking for a transition racquet I suggest not jumping straight to the VTZF which is quite head heavy and stiff. Instead you might wanna give VT70 and VT80 a try.

    VT70 is slightly head heavy and medium flex. To me it almost feels balanced and light (but I'm used to head heavy). Quite quick for me.
    VT80 is solid and head heavy. It's also fairly stiff but not quite as much as VTZF so you might end up having an easier time with this than VTZF especially if you are coming from a head light racquet.

    Finally if you try the VT70 and almost like it but are looking for something more balanced and stiff, then perhaps the Arc Sabre 8DX. Some of my friends went from the VT70 to that after trying it because of those aspects.

    Sorry, though I played with some other brands I usually end up buying Yonnex so my opinion is biased towards that brand.

    Good luck to you.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vaughan, ON
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Alright, so I narrowed it down. Removed the Victor's and some other rackets. I tried the NS9900 by borrowing it from a person at the club and it was good, but it didn't impress me. I mean it didn't feel like anything when I played with it, no vibration and no feeling.

    From Adidas:
    Duoforce
    Adi-power pro
    Adi-zero pro

    From Yonex:
    Arc-Saber 11
    4U VT80

  10. #10
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    That's a good short list to try.

    I'd even throw in:
    4U MXJJS
    4U VT70

  11. #11
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the noob View Post
    So I have been trying to gather as much data as I could these past few months, comparing different rackets and such. But I still haven't narrowed it very much.

    I'm looking for an balanced doubles racket (that's good for attacking/defending) that can also be used for singles. I'm an intermediate player and an all-rounder. I'm 6'' (not sure if that makes any difference). I'm also currently using a light racket approx 82g 'vanilla' and I'm a hard-hitter (at least I think I am), but I'm looking for a departure from the headlight racket area (b/c I already have one). The brands I'm looking at are Victor, Adidas, and Yonex.

    What I think I want:

    From Victor:
    Mx80: I believe I might like the feedback of the racket as well as the power I hear about.
    BS12: I heard that this was a good doubles racket, don't know much else.

    From Adidas:
    Duoforce: Kwun's review got me very interested, however I don't know much about this racket other than the reviews.
    Adi-power pro: Reverse tapered shaft may be useful in pushing more powerful shots.

    From Yonex:
    Nanospeed 9900: Seems to be an overall favourite in the forums, wherever I search. Seems to be a very good all-rounder racket, according to reviews.
    Arc-Saber 12: Apparently also a very good racket for a controlled doubles rally.
    4U VTZF: I want an explosive racket, but since I'm used to a light racket, 4U might help me in the transition.

    I'd like to hear your opinions or other recommendations!

    EDIT: I can't really demo these rackets unless some of my friends have them. I live in Toronto, and the only play that demo's is Browns. They only give you 3 days. That's not quite enough for me.

    Victor Bravesword 11

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vaughan, ON
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    Victor Bravesword 11
    What's the difference between BS11 and BS12

  13. #13
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the noob View Post
    What's the difference between BS11 and BS12
    from my experience, the only difference is that the BS12 is a bit stiffer than the BS11 tho some have claimed that the BS12 is a bit heavier, but i wasn't able to tell the difference. maybe the balance is a bit different too because i see the BS11 as an even balance racket with just a bit head heavy.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vaughan, ON
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'll see if anyone at the club has one that I can try tonight.

    Also, I'm going insane right now. I got 3 Adidas rackets I want to test, but there's none in Toronto. My stringer had some while I was on vacation but sold out. I'm dying to try one.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    That's a good short list to try.

    I'd even throw in:
    4U MXJJS
    4U VT70
    MX JJS or VT80/VTZF would be good for singles
    BS12 or BSLYD for doubles
    Also the Arc8DX is better than the 11 , in doubles .

    IMO Adidas rackets arent worth the time , Li-ning and Victor does far more better than Adidas
    Last edited by yeahehehehe; 10-12-2013 at 07:47 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vaughan, ON
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yeahehehehe View Post
    MX JJS or VT80/VTZF would be good for singles
    BS12 or BSLYD for doubles
    Also the Arc8DX is better than the 11 , in doubles .

    IMO Adidas rackets arent worth the time , Li-ning and Victor does far more better than Adidas
    Not going to bother with Li-Ning rackets, from what I hear, their prices don't match their quality.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Citizen of the world
    Posts
    244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the noob View Post
    Not going to bother with Li-Ning rackets, from what I hear, their prices don't match their quality.
    That's from "what you heard",get the demo and try out yourself. =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •