User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 48
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Best high end bang for your buck machine

    Over the past few years, I've been stringing with my highly modded Progression ST-II as well as my 6004, both with the WISE 2086 tension head and they have been doing the job perfectly.

    However, I would now like to buy a new toy and I'm looking at the bigger toys (Star 5, Sensor, Protech, Tecnifibre, Baiardo, Phantom, Ghost, (I know I'm forgetting some, please reply if you know of other models ). While I know I'm gonna spend a few thousands on the machine, I'd still like to make the best out of my investment.

    I would like to know what is your experience with those machines, how much they cost, how well they work for badminton and tennis rackets and how well you think your machine is worth its price.

    Right now, it seems like the Star 5 has a very good cost/quality+features ratio, being at ~4000$ while the other machines are all between 7-12k with just a few more features.

    What do you owners of such machines think ?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,075
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Having tried all the top-end machines you mention (except the Baiardo) I have to say the Yonex ES5 is by far the best - the clamping system is second to none, and it offers the best treatment for badminton rackets; the badminton side is very obviously an afterthought with the tennis-focussed Babs and Techs.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is it worth double the price ?

    Star 5 is 3700$ and ES5 is 7500$ :\

    I mean, surely the ES5 is better, but is it twice better :P
    Last edited by yan.v; 10-03-2013 at 11:16 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    Is it worth double the price ?

    Star 5 is 3700$ and ES5 is 7500$ :\

    I mean, surely the ES5 is better, but is it twice better :P

    I'm not sure if this is a good analogy, but basically I compare it to a keyboard. If you have a high end keyboard, your life is very easy when you perform your work. There are no sticky keys and you don't get as fatigue when doing your work. Also, because it is a high end keyboard, it will last longer and the quality of the parts are much better. The keyboard may also come with many features to make your life easier as well such as pre-stretching and knots settings. This is the same idea with the stringing machine. I found that the better the machine, the easier it is on your life when you are stringing.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, the Star 5 already has a pre-stretch feature and has nice adjustments for comfort. It's also built solid and durable. I need to find a list of features for those machines to be able to compare directly, but if for instance, both machines (or any other machines) come up with a difference of 4000$ and all you get is a knot setting and automatic release base clamps, I wouldn't think it's worth it (not saying it isn't, but this is how I'd compare them).

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    Well, the Star 5 already has a pre-stretch feature and has nice adjustments for comfort. It's also built solid and durable. I need to find a list of features for those machines to be able to compare directly, but if for instance, both machines (or any other machines) come up with a difference of 4000$ and all you get is a knot setting and automatic release base clamps, I wouldn't think it's worth it (not saying it isn't, but this is how I'd compare them).
    I would say the clamps are key - you want something that is easily adjustable to lock and unlock without any string slipping! Also, the amount of space under the side mounts. You want to have sufficient space, otherwise you are all cramped up when adjusting the clamps.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I see, thanks for the input!

    I guess what I was trying to say was:

    If money isn't a problem at all, which machine would you get ?

    Now, if money is a problem and you have the option of buying the Star 5 or wait a couple months/years and buy the machine you listed above, what would you do ?

    I understand you two would wait and save up to get the ES5 ProTech or the ProTech 8 ?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Go big or go home!
    I got customers coming to me just because they know how serious I am about stringing so I go ahead and grab the high end stuff! At the same time, you can adjust your pricing to accommodate for the better quality tools you are using.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,075
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    Is it worth double the price ?

    Star 5 is 3700$ and ES5 is 7500$ :\

    I mean, surely the ES5 is better, but is it twice better :P
    The Star 5 is poor for badminton - requires an add-on kit - and I don't like curved clamp rails.

    Honestly, if I could afford either I'd get an ES5 - the ES5 ProTech is largely the same, from memory, except that the tension resolves down to 0.5 lb instead of 1 lb.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    The Star 5 is poor for badminton - requires an add-on kit - and I don't like curved clamp rails.

    Honestly, if I could afford either I'd get an ES5 - the ES5 ProTech is largely the same, from memory, except that the tension resolves down to 0.5 lb instead of 1 lb.
    I think I only have access to the ES5 ProTech and the ProTech 8.

    You're saying that the ES5 ProTech increments only by 1lb ? So stringing at say 24.5 lbs would not be possible ?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Protech 8 can do the .5 increments. But to be honest, does 0.5 make that much of a big deal? Why not just pre-stretch it a little more at a tension to get the feel you want?

  12. #12
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,075
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    I think I only have access to the ES5 ProTech and the ProTech 8.

    You're saying that the ES5 ProTech increments only by 1lb ? So stringing at say 24.5 lbs would not be possible ?
    The ES5 PT will go down to 0.5 lb, but to be honest there's no real need to -the difference between, say, 27.5x30 and 28x30 will be negligible for the racket and the player.

    I haven't tried the PT8 yet, but it's on my bucket list.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You were talking about the convenience of having a better machine earlier. Having to play with pre stretch % because you can only increment by 1lb isn't too convenient!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    The ES5 PT will go down to 0.5 lb, but to be honest there's no real need to -the difference between, say, 27.5x30 and 28x30 will be negligible for the racket and the player.
    Just trying to understand which machine can do what. Is this right:

    ES5 ProTech: 0,5 lbs increments
    ES5 Pro: 1 lb increments

    Or is it the opposite ?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sorry - I meant the protech 8 has 0.5 increments.
    The pre-stretch on this machine increases at 5% increments up to 20%. I believe the 5 goes up to 10%.

    Convenient when stringing - no need to fidget with the machine when stringing. With my predecessors, I would need to fidget with it one way or another to get things to work the way I wanted (especially with clamps).

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinhity View Post
    Sorry - I meant the protech 8 has 0.5 increments.
    The pre-stretch on this machine increases at 5% increments up to 20%. I believe the 5 goes up to 10%.

    Convenient when stringing - no need to fidget with the machine when stringing. With my predecessors, I would need to fidget with it one way or another to get things to work the way I wanted (especially with clamps).
    Well say someone wants 22.5lbs, having to set my machine at 22lbs and increase prestretch by X% is a disadvantage to me, and also seems a little arbitrary. While the customer might not feel the difference, it is not something that I'd like to have to do.

    I think .5 lbs increments would be the maximum increment I could tolerate.

    As for the ES5 ProTech vs the ES5 Pro, the comment was more directed towards Mark. You were pretty clear for the Protech 8 :P I think @kwun also had the luck of testing these two machines, so he could probably lighten us for the difference between both of them.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,075
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    Just trying to understand which machine can do what. Is this right:

    ES5 ProTech: 0,5 lbs increments
    ES5 Pro: 1 lb increments
    That's correct.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •