Best high end bang for your buck machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by yan.v, Oct 3, 2013.

1. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Over the past few years, I've been stringing with my highly modded Progression ST-II as well as my 6004, both with the WISE 2086 tension head and they have been doing the job perfectly.

However, I would now like to buy a new toy and I'm looking at the bigger toys (Star 5, Sensor, Protech, Tecnifibre, Baiardo, Phantom, Ghost, (I know I'm forgetting some, please reply if you know of other models :)). While I know I'm gonna spend a few thousands on the machine, I'd still like to make the best out of my investment.

I would like to know what is your experience with those machines, how much they cost, how well they work for badminton and tennis rackets and how well you think your machine is worth its price.

Right now, it seems like the Star 5 has a very good cost/quality+features ratio, being at ~4000$ while the other machines are all between 7-12k with just a few more features.

What do you owners of such machines think ?

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Having tried all the top-end machines you mention (except the Baiardo) I have to say the Yonex ES5 is by far the best - the clamping system is second to none, and it offers the best treatment for badminton rackets; the badminton side is very obviously an afterthought with the tennis-focussed Babs and Techs.

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Is it worth double the price ?

Star 5 is 3700$ and ES5 is 7500$ :\

I mean, surely the ES5 is better, but is it twice better :p

#3 yan.v, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

I'm not sure if this is a good analogy, but basically I compare it to a keyboard. If you have a high end keyboard, your life is very easy when you perform your work. There are no sticky keys and you don't get as fatigue when doing your work. Also, because it is a high end keyboard, it will last longer and the quality of the parts are much better. The keyboard may also come with many features to make your life easier as well such as pre-stretching and knots settings. This is the same idea with the stringing machine. I found that the better the machine, the easier it is on your life when you are stringing.

5. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Well, the Star 5 already has a pre-stretch feature and has nice adjustments for comfort. It's also built solid and durable. I need to find a list of features for those machines to be able to compare directly, but if for instance, both machines (or any other machines) come up with a difference of 4000$ and all you get is a knot setting and automatic release base clamps, I wouldn't think it's worth it (not saying it isn't, but this is how I'd compare them).

6. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

I would say the clamps are key - you want something that is easily adjustable to lock and unlock without any string slipping! Also, the amount of space under the side mounts. You want to have sufficient space, otherwise you are all cramped up when adjusting the clamps.

7. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I see, thanks for the input!

I guess what I was trying to say was:

If money isn't a problem at all, which machine would you get ?

Now, if money is a problem and you have the option of buying the Star 5 or wait a couple months/years and buy the machine you listed above, what would you do ?

I understand you two would wait and save up to get the ES5 ProTech or the ProTech 8 ?

8. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Go big or go home!
    I got customers coming to me just because they know how serious I am about stringing so I go ahead and grab the high end stuff! :) At the same time, you can adjust your pricing to accommodate for the better quality tools you are using.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The Star 5 is poor for badminton - requires an add-on kit - and I don't like curved clamp rails.

Honestly, if I could afford either I'd get an ES5 - the ES5 ProTech is largely the same, from memory, except that the tension resolves down to 0.5 lb instead of 1 lb.

10. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I think I only have access to the ES5 ProTech and the ProTech 8.

You're saying that the ES5 ProTech increments only by 1lb ? So stringing at say 24.5 lbs would not be possible ?

11. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Protech 8 can do the .5 increments. But to be honest, does 0.5 make that much of a big deal? Why not just pre-stretch it a little more at a tension to get the feel you want? ;)

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The ES5 PT will go down to 0.5 lb, but to be honest there's no real need to -the difference between, say, 27.5x30 and 28x30 will be negligible for the racket and the player.

I haven't tried the PT8 yet, but it's on my bucket list.

13. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

You were talking about the convenience of having a better machine earlier. Having to play with pre stretch % because you can only increment by 1lb isn't too convenient!

14. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Just trying to understand which machine can do what. Is this right:

ES5 ProTech: 0,5 lbs increments
    ES5 Pro: 1 lb increments

Or is it the opposite ?

15. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Sorry - I meant the protech 8 has 0.5 increments.
    The pre-stretch on this machine increases at 5% increments up to 20%. I believe the 5 goes up to 10%.

Convenient when stringing - no need to fidget with the machine when stringing. With my predecessors, I would need to fidget with it one way or another to get things to work the way I wanted (especially with clamps).

16. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Well say someone wants 22.5lbs, having to set my machine at 22lbs and increase prestretch by X% is a disadvantage to me, and also seems a little arbitrary. While the customer might not feel the difference, it is not something that I'd like to have to do.

I think .5 lbs increments would be the maximum increment I could tolerate.

As for the ES5 ProTech vs the ES5 Pro, the comment was more directed towards Mark. You were pretty clear for the Protech 8 :p I think [MENTION=1]kwun[/MENTION] also had the luck of testing these two machines, so he could probably lighten us for the difference between both of them.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That's correct.

18. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Thanks! That's good news!

Is there any other machine that would be worth considering ?

Maybe Li-Ning/Victor/Adidas machines ?

#18 yan.v, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    protech vs pro. mechanically, they are almost the same thing. same feel, but with a little bit of cosmetic updates here and there. akin to Honda Civic getting a minor yearly update, Honda might have make little changes here and there, but overall, it is still the same thing. and for all intend and purposes, it will not affect the result of your stringing.

except for that 1 vs. 0.5 lbs increment. which is really a bummer.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i was really impressed with the adidas machine. the only thing i'd change is the curved rail. other than that, it is very very solid and easy to use. ergonomic and operation was very smooth. i strung 2 rackets with it. the second one was the one which was recorded. with that little amount of time, i did a 19min string job. that really tells how smooth and speedy the operation is.

The top end Victor is also very interesting. similar to the Victor. unfortunately i have not used it before.