Candra / Halim

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by kwun, Jan 14, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Halim is showing some aging in appearance. his face looks like a 40yrs old man with receding hairline and he seems to have gained a bit of weight.

Candra is starting to lose his baby face.

neither of them are getting younger but their skills is still certainly one of the best. i wonder what form they will be in when it comes to Olympics time. Candra is lined up to be the first person to retain the Olympics MD Gold medal.

2. Morten

Morten Regular Member

yes and I would not be surprised if he won the MD with Halim. Looking at the Copenghagen Masters their performance was superior to the other pairs and it looks like they are on the right track. But as I mentioned before in my opinion there are 4 pairs who are favourites for the oluympics... Lee/yoo, Kim/Ha, Candra/Halim and our own Jonas/Lars...

3. shawntn

shawntn Regular Member

My vote goes to Halim and Candra. Well, i am more of a Candra and Sigit fan. How is Sigit and Trikus come along? I haven't been updated with with sources in the badminton world. I am feel so ashamed. :(

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Sigit is definitely more creative than Halim, but Halim is more consistent than Sigit and makes fewer errors. That was always Candra/Sigit's problem -- their game would break down completely when Sigit went out of control.

Candra/Halim don't have quite the tempo and flare that Candra/Sigit had, but if the Copenhagen Masters is anything to go by, they produce less errors and are every bit as tough to beat. I'd say it's between them, Ha/Kim (if not injured), Lee/Yoo, and Jonas/Lars.

The next few tournaments will certainly be interesting to follow.

5. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    can I put my vote on the chinese pair?? Cai and Fu~ I think the speed of Cai and Fu are just as good as the combination of Halim with his smash and Candra being all round. So, what do you guys think of the "underdogs" from China?

Thanks~

6. Morten

Morten Regular Member

its possible and seen last time in WC with Jonas/Lars as champions. But I think Cai/Fu needs more experience to gain the last step to the finals. They are to inconstant but with time they will gain experience and show their full potential.

7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    from what I saw of the masters, Lars and JR were completely outpaced by Candra and Halim, and it looks like there is still quite a bit of room for improvement in their game!

I think Candra and Halim will definitely be very hard to beat in the Olympics.

Reaching top level with three different partners, Candra is really one of the greatest MD players for sure!! :eek:

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    When being at the top for so long, it is easy to let things slide. I think the world championship event woke up candra, and halim as well watching on the sideline. I think the masters had showed what these 2 still got on reserve. i guess lars and JR need to pull their socks up a bit higher too to have a chance to break the candra/halim combo.

9. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Candra: Seems to be letting quite a few simple errors get into his game, but still rock solid defence.

Halim: I think being with Trikus put him down. He didnt progrss very far and therfor decided not to play as many tournaments. After watching him play in the Masters, he doesnt seem the usual person that i say in the 2001 AE final.

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    To be honest, I prefer Sigit/Candra in opposed to Candra/Halim. I really enjoy the kind of showmanship and flair of Sigit whenever he steps onto the court. It's good entertainment, if you know what I mean. ;)

Still, it's a tactical thing - to forge a stronger pair and nurture another competent second.

Candra/Halim - more consistent, less mistakes, but also more boring. But if boring win you medals, then no one's complaining. Except me, perhaps.

11. da ding

da ding Regular Member

Student
    i know it is probably too late to reshuffle the pairing of sigit/trikus again, but i wonder if it would have been a better choice to maybe put Flandi limpele together with sigit as it really is a waste to put a player of sigit's calibre witha mediocre player like trikus... i mean, if flandi can get into the world top five with a partner like eng hian, think of what he could do with sigit as a pairing?

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    A tough call on this one!

There is still time for the pairs to adjust to each other and test their combination at some IBF tournaments before the Olympics. Whoever can peak at the right time and maintain their form on the day and with a bit of Luck, will probably win.

So I wouldn't want to even rule out the Chinese at this stage.

13. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Much as I like Sigit, every time I see him he's wearing more and more strapping and supports. He's falling apart.

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    That's the price to pay for a sport as demanding as badminton. I wouldn't be surprised that these pros will face many health issues after retirement, as a result of injuries and overused body parts during their playing years. Chandra, Halim, Sigit (especially) and . . . so on . . . will probably look like Coach Yao Ximing in Vancouver :). They burn twice as bright but also burn out twice as fast.

#14 Pete LSD, Jan 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  15. Snowmen

Snowmen Regular Member

Student
    then what do u guys think about the pair Tony/Candra??
    i think the 2000 olympic game MD final was very cool.

personally, i think Tony gunawan is a very consistent player.
    so when he partner with candra (also a consistent player), i think they makes a good form. however, Tony's power is not as powerful as the others, but i think his shots quality and placement is definately exceptional.

16. shawntn

shawntn Regular Member

Correct me if I am wrong....Isn't Tony moved to US sometime ago? He won both Mix-double and men double in US open back in...forgot. I saw him recently training in Orange County Badminton Club. He isn't advancing to anywhere with all the...(profanity) badminton players in US. No, not you guys...you guys are professionals. :)

17. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I went back to my hometown for the CNY and I got the chance to watch 2003 Rewind on the WC 03 and what a treat it was.

From the finals in MD, I can now see the wisdom in putting Candra with Halim instead of Sigit - the latter seems to be very very error prone compared to Candra and sorry to say that the Indonesians probably lost it because of all the mistakes Sigit made. Well, credits to Jonas and Lars for their great game but I think it was helped much by the camaraderie of oops made by Sigit. At his prime, I don't think Jonas/Lars and will stand a chance. Candra, on the other hand was simply dependable.

Sigh, who are we going to look for when it comes to showmanship now that Sigit is 'relegated' to Team 'B'? ;)

18. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Bear in mind that argubably 3 of the top 5 pairs (2 korean pairs and Flandi/Eng) were absent at the WC. Depsite that Candra/Sigit would have lost in the WC semi to the young chinese if their opponents had played with more confidence.

19. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Indonesian doubles

Would you think it is wiser to pair Candra and Sigit back together as a pair, without being unfair to Halim?

Candra and Sigit were having a lot more success as a pair, and complemented eachother very well, with or without Sigit's flamboyancy.

In the current rankings, Candra and Halim are ranked at about 20. Candra and Sigit are still ranked at 38. Sigit and Tri Kush are ranked 22. The only other players inside the 20, are veterans Flandy and Eng (7), and the youngsters Alven and Hadiyanto(10). Given a bit of luck, any of these could go far in a tournament, but none so far that were as threatening as Candra and Sigit 12 months ago.

There are a few big tournaments to go, where big points are at stake: Korean Open, Japan Open, Asian Champs, Malaysian Open. Indonesian doubles are great to watch, it would be unthinkable for none of them to get a medal at the Olympics, but they are in a low patch at the moment. All the other pairs above are susceptible to lose to any of Ha/Kim, Choong/Lee, Lee/Yoo, Lars/Rasmussen, Cai/Fu.

I think Kim Dong Moon and Nathan Robertson already commented that after the Candra/Gunawan split, Candra and Sigit were most feared opponents in Mens doubles.

Alven and Hadiyanto look to have a promising future together, but I don't think they have it in them yet, to be dependable on.

20. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    I believe that Sigit / Candra pair isn't as strong as Candra / Halim althought S / C is a little more inconsistent than C / H. But I would choose power over inconsistency