tournament temperament

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by wackywanderer, Oct 6, 2013.

1. wackywanderer

wackywanderer Regular Member

Consultant
    Hi guys
    I have a strange problem.I play intermediate level to advance level when I play in my club .but whenever I play a tournament my level dips down to worse like basic.I try to play too safe and end up losing.what's the way to improve this ??is it in mind or do I need to do something else

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Play more tournaments. The psychological aspect is very different in a tournament and you have to get used to the tournament atmosphere and psychological conditions. There are almost no second chances if you lose. That creates a lot of pressure.

Having confidence in shots takes away a lot of pressure. If you can play a shot two hundred times in row perfectly in practice, then why not in a game.

3. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    You have basically answered your own question. You play too safe! So just attack or play your normal game. You know the shot you should play or go for so do it. PLAY IT!

Cheung is right, you need more tournament play and league match play cause its different. It is all a head game.

You need to act like its a tournament when you practice and act like its a practice when you play a tournament! lol

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Practice like an underdog, but compete like a champion.

5. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Obviously, the way you had been playing wasn't safe after all or wasn't winning badminton. Why don't you just change your style and see what happen. You has nothing to lose anyway.

6. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    It's a question of experience. The more tournaments you play, the more confidence or at least familiarity you'll have and be able to cope better with the pressure. Play less safe, be more consistent and aggressive etc as a result.

Someone once told me, most people can only play 60% of their ability in their first tournament. I think he was on to something.

Then again, you get people like me, who think they are better than they really are. I'm afraid there's no cure for that. RAWR.

Go out and play more tourneys. Have fun.
    Game on.

7. wackywanderer

wackywanderer Regular Member

Consultant
    Well you guys really helped me..
    Started with still losing first game today ..but then just played freely and started enjoying then game.became more aggressive..it all fell in place and won all the games for the day.I guess playing more tournaments will ease the pressure..

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    you need to realise it's normal to feel nervous in a tournament. after so many years, even LCW can feel nervous.