Pi HongYan and XU HuaiWen can contend for Olympics Games?

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by SmartCivet, Jan 14, 2004.

1. SmartCivet

SmartCivet Regular Member

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
    Who know about this?

Pi HongYan's nationality?China or France?

XU HuaiWen's nationality?China or Germany?

2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Pi Hongyan is still Chinese, but hoping to get the french nationality before the olympics... (she has officially asked for it)

I don't know for Xu Huaiwen...

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Pi HOng Yan's name is on the dummy list by the IBF for Olympic qualifiication;)

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I might be wrong. But I heard that a person has to be a citizen for a nation for at least 2 yrs, in order to present that nation in Olympics. The rule was issued to avoid the super powers just "hire" athletes right before the event.

If that's true, then Pi could not represent France in Athens 2004 regardless if she could get it or not.

5. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    The dummy list is only based on rankings. It doesn't look at whether that player is indeed eligible to represent the nation in the Olympics.

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    You must have been officially citizen of that country for at least 2 years (now it's 3) and not have represented any other country within the same period.

Pi Hongyan is allowed to play under french flag since last summer, so she can compete in the Uber Cup for example.

For the olympics, she also needs to have the french nationality, which she can get at the last moment or just about.

Is this clearer?

#6 seven, Jan 15, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what is the difference between having French nationality and being a French citizen?

8. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    hmm, I don't know if I'm using the correct terms, as English is not my first language... :rolleyes:

I meant you have to officially be living in the country you want to represent for at least two years... (this is what I meant by citizen)

but in fact I'm not completely sure about the exact rule... what's sure is that Pi Hongyan can now represent France in any competition except the olympics, and this includes next 2004 Uber Cup.

9. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    and for the olympics, it is still possible if she is awarded french nationality...

10. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Anyway, I don't think this system is very fair, the french national squad is mainly built up with foreigners nowadays, with also three Bulgarians who got the french nationality this autumn : Svetoslav Stojanov, Mihail Popov and Victoria Hristova-Wright!

One Indonesian without french nationality : Weny Rahmawati

And another Indonesian as a sparring partner : Arif Rasidi (former bronze medalist in junior world champs)

This doesn't leave much space for young french talents!...

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh i see. thanks for clarifying.

in the US, the term used more often is residency instead of citizenship. citizenship implies a nationality, thus a citizen of a country would hold their passport, and have right to vote, etc.

a resident is just someone who merely stays/resides there. sometimes permanent, sometimes only temporary.

but all clear now.

12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    OK, resident, that's the word!! :D

13. Xu Zhen

Xu Zhen Regular Member

PI Hongyan might be in the Uber Cup and the Olmpics

8. INTERNATIONAL REPRESENTATION

8.1 Representing a Member Association is defined as accepting a nomination to be a member of that Association’s team in any badminton event where the competition is between teams. However, playing as an individual in a tournament does not count as representation, unless the event has been specifically nominated by the IBF (Regulation 8.1.2).

8.1.1 Competition between teams includes, but is not limited to, the Thomas, Uber and Sudirman Cups, Continental team championships, the Asian Games team championships, the Commonwealth Games team championships, and other international matches or competitions involving two or more Member Associations’ teams.

8.1.2 Currently, the IBF has also specified that the World Championships (see World Championships Regulation 8.2), the World Senior Championships and the individual events at the Olympic Games, the Asian Games, the Commonwealth Games, and Continental Championships shall count as international representation. Where players in a doubles pair are from different Member Associations it shall count as international representation for each player.

8.2 A player shall be qualified to represent a Member Association providing the player is in good standing with that Member Association and satisfies Regulations
    8.2.1 and either 8.2.2 or 8.2.3:

8.2.1 holds a passport of a country whose territory the Member Association has jurisdiction over;

8.2.2 has not represented any other Member Association for three years immediately preceding the date of the fixture;

8.2.3 last represented that Member Association;

8.3 A player shall be deemed to have represented a Member Association if he or she shall have been officially nominated to represent that Member Association and shall have accepted such nomination.

8.4 If a player has represented a Member Association and such Member Association is subsequently divided into two or more Member Associations or is absorbed by another Member Association, either politically or by recognition of the IBF, such player shall, for the purposes of these Regulations, be deemed from the date of such alteration not to have represented any Member Association.

8.5 Notwithstanding the foregoing Regulations, in the case of any officially-recognised competitive multisport event in which badminton is included, the qualifications for the representation of a Member Association shall be in full accordance with the conditions laid down by such a multi-sport international event, provided however that the above Regulations 8.2 to 8.4 are also not contravened.

14. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Thanks for posting this.

For information, this is the new rule... but Pi Hongyan changed "colours" before this one was officialized so the old rule applies to her.
    (only two years etc...)

In Sudirman Cup last year, France was represented by Bulgarians without French nationality for example.

15. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    In the eurosport coverage of the Bitburger Open ladies singles final near the end of last year, they mentioned in the commentary that Xu Huaiwen had just received her German passport, so presumably she is now has full German nationality.

16. Xu Zhen

Xu Zhen Regular Member

PI can not enter in any kind of team event or Games for France until October at least

PI have just became a member of France Badminton Association after September 2002. And before October 2002, she had played for Denmark. Here are the World Ranking Oct. 3, 2002 and the World Ranking Oct.10, 2002 .

So I'm afraid to say PI Hongyan must be out of Olympics this year.

#16 Xu Zhen, Jan 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  17. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Well, in fact, you're right about sept 2002, but what counts is for how long she hadn't represented China in official competitions.

I can garantee that Pi Hongyan is officially allowed to represent France since July 2003, and I am well placed to know about that!! ;)
    (our federation speaks about it enough!)

Our federation even asked IBF for her to play in the world championships last august, but it was refused because the champs were intially planned in may, and that she wasn't allowed to represent France yet in may...

18. Xu Zhen

Xu Zhen Regular Member

In fact, Pi Hongyan can play in the Uber Cup and even the Olympics. But if so, Pi will lost the right playing for another association in the future. in other words, she will must play for France for ever (according to regulation 8.2.3 above), Pi should think it over before making up her mind. If Pi want to do so, regulation 8.2.2 above will not limit her (for example "three years"). And Xu Huaiwen can get the chance by this way too.

#18 Xu Zhen, Jan 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I raised up the "2 yrs regulation" (might be 3 now), was due to the regulation from Olympics Commity, but not IBF. According the rules that Xu Zhen posted above, seems IBF's regulation is not as strict as Olympics.

Therefore, Pi should be able to play Uber Cup, but still can't play for Olympics (I still remember that's: at least 2 yrs of citizenship, but not 2 yrs of resisdency).

20. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Correction this was voted on at IBF meeting in Guangzhou, China during Thomas Cup