User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 26
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    U.S
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default First time buying a racquet, looking for recommendations

    Just looking for some tips on what to buy/where to buy from.
    Background : I started playing 2 years ago when my friend introduced me to the club at school and I found the sport pretty interesting. I would say that I am at a intermediate level, but I still like to play for fun. My playstyle revolves around a balance of offense/defense with a slight lean into offense. I have been looking towards upgrading from these yonex basic racquets that have been starting to take their toll on my wrists and after trying out many of my friends' racquets, I've found that the lighter weight/higher tensions offer a high degree of performance increases.
    I'm not really knowledgeable about all the brands/racquets, but I do know Yonex and Li-Ning as 2 brands that are pretty good. My limit would be around 100$ and would prefer to have something that will last for a while.
    Oh, and list online vendors if possible b/c I don't really know where to buy from at the moment (the websites that sell the racquets look kind of poorly formatted)
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmmmm , youre into offense more .
    Try the Yonex Muscle Power 22 (mp22) and string it @ 27 lbs .
    Sold here at P3500 so you can get it there for approx. $70 - $80.
    Fun to play with , especially the net smashes/drives .
    Head Heavy but isnt really "heavy" . Just added more weight to the frame for added power.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    aberdeen
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Since you are reside in US, you should PM gundamzaku to check if he has some demo rackets.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    U.S
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    Since you are reside in US, you should PM gundamzaku to check if he has some demo rackets.
    Would someone really be willing to send me racquet to try out? O-o

  5. #5
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,514
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erstr View Post
    Just looking for some tips on what to buy/where to buy from.
    Background : I started playing 2 years ago when my friend introduced me to the club at school and I found the sport pretty interesting. I would say that I am at a intermediate level, but I still like to play for fun. My playstyle revolves around a balance of offense/defense with a slight lean into offense. I have been looking towards upgrading from these yonex basic racquets that have been starting to take their toll on my wrists and after trying out many of my friends' racquets, I've found that the lighter weight/higher tensions offer a high degree of performance increases.
    I'm not really knowledgeable about all the brands/racquets, but I do know Yonex and Li-Ning as 2 brands that are pretty good. My limit would be around 100$ and would prefer to have something that will last for a while.
    Oh, and list online vendors if possible b/c I don't really know where to buy from at the moment (the websites that sell the racquets look kind of poorly formatted)
    Thanks!
    if you've been training under a coach then maybe an mid intermediate, if you've been playing for fun you would either be an advance beginner or a low intermediate player. either way i think the best suggestion for you is to get a racket that is even balance with a flexible shaft so that it is forgiving. i have mentioned in other posts and i will mention it again that the yonex arcsaber 002 is a very good racket, priced at around $75USD.

    however, you mentioned that you are into lighter weight racket so i would recommend you something in the nanospeed or nanoray series. because you are just starting to play this sport, just go with anything in those two series under $100USD and it would be good to go. they might even come with strings but you might want to restring the racket with BG65 at 22-24lbs since you did mention higher tension and i am assuming higher tension than what beginners would use.

    if you live in northern california, you can try racket supply, badminton alley, asby sports, or any of the clubs which has a pro shop as well. if you live in southern california, then i definitely recommend san diego badminton because their pricing seems to be most competitive within california.

    unforunately i don't have any demo rackets since i'm pretty picky with my badminton equipment nor do i own a badminton store, unfortunately. good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    U.S
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    if you've been training under a coach then maybe an mid intermediate, if you've been playing for fun you would either be an advance beginner or a low intermediate player. either way i think the best suggestion for you is to get a racket that is even balance with a flexible shaft so that it is forgiving. i have mentioned in other posts and i will mention it again that the yonex arcsaber 002 is a very good racket, priced at around $75USD.

    however, you mentioned that you are into lighter weight racket so i would recommend you something in the nanospeed or nanoray series. because you are just starting to play this sport, just go with anything in those two series under $100USD and it would be good to go. they might even come with strings but you might want to restring the racket with BG65 at 22-24lbs since you did mention higher tension and i am assuming higher tension than what beginners would use.

    if you live in northern california, you can try racket supply, badminton alley, asby sports, or any of the clubs which has a pro shop as well. if you live in southern california, then i definitely recommend san diego badminton because their pricing seems to be most competitive within california.

    unforunately i don't have any demo rackets since i'm pretty picky with my badminton equipment nor do i own a badminton store, unfortunately. good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with
    Is the bg65 at 24 lb durable?

  7. #7
    Regular Member erikfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Definitely. That's the defining quality of BG65.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    you should PM gundamzaku to check if he has some demo rackets.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    U.S
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What do you guys think of the Yonex NanoRay 80? Strung with BG65 at 24lbs

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you like mid-stiff flex rackets and you have enough power to produce smashes from it , then why not . Shuttlehouse is a good seller , got my Z Speed from them , plus , they give you 33% discount and free shipping if the price is over $100 . So if youre buying from them , get a racket above a hundred so it will be worth like a nanoray 80 . Ask Avenger for more info @Avenger

  11. #11
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,835
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by yeahehehehe View Post
    If you like mid-stiff flex rackets and you have enough power to produce smashes from it , then why not . Shuttlehouse is a good seller , got my Z Speed from them , plus , they give you 33% discount and free shipping if the price is over $100 . So if youre buying from them , get a racket above a hundred so it will be worth like a nanoray 80 . Ask Avenger for more info @Avenger
    Except they don't sell Made in Taiwan models in Japan and the non-existing 33% is actually for an order of over ~$1000USD, not 1-0-0 . There is also no free shipping so basically everything you've just mentioned is incorrect .
    If I am not incorrect erstr has been playing 8 times as long as your 3 months? Or was that your other account ?
    Last edited by demolidor; 10-13-2013 at 08:24 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,835
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I see Adidas has several options in around the $100 range as well (now looking on badminton avenue website). Also you could read up on some reviews at Paul Stewart's website (google "paul stewart badminton") if you haven't already.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Except they don't sell Made in Taiwan models in Japan and the non-existing 33% is actually for an order of over ~$1000USD, not 1-0-0 . There is also no free shipping so basically everything you've just mentioned is incorrect .
    If I am not incorrect erstr has been playing 8 times as long as your 3 months? Or was that your other account ?
    Ah forgive me , my memory is not that good . i Just checked , sorry , 22% discount is what i got from my z speed then...
    Last edited by yeahehehehe; 10-13-2013 at 09:13 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,461
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yeahehehehe View Post
    If you like mid-stiff flex rackets and you have enough power to produce smashes from it , then why not . Shuttlehouse is a good seller , got my Z Speed from them , plus , they give you 33% discount and free shipping if the price is over $100 . So if youre buying from them , get a racket above a hundred so it will be worth like a nanoray 80 . Ask Avenger for more info @Avenger
    I got tagged lol..

    I agree with gundamzaku, either arcsaber 002 or arcsaber 003 (if you prefer stiffer racket) if you still not sure you playing style

    or you can try RKEP XP70 (stiff), XP80 (medium). it is $155 including shipping but you get a good high end racket, a string (you can choose even the expensive one like BG66 UM), stringing service (this alone costs you around $10 or more), and 3 RKEP grips (instead of mid-end Yonex)
    *do ask eric personally and don't go through ebay. he will give you a discount.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hey , i got a question , who is eric?

  16. #16
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,262
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    or you can try RKEP XP70 (stiff), XP80 (medium). it is $155 including shipping but you get a good high end racket, a string (you can choose even the expensive one like BG66 UM), stringing service (this alone costs you around $10 or more), and 3 RKEP grips (instead of mid-end Yonex)
    *do ask eric personally and don't go through ebay. he will give you a discount.
    An excellent racket... I have 4.

    Definitely email Eric @ RKEP for the discount.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,461
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yeahehehehe View Post
    hey , i got a question , who is eric?
    in BC:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...91-Squash-Eric

    this guy. he made his own racket (he is from a manufacturer in Taiwan), grips, and sells a bunch of branded stuff (Yonex, Victor, RSL, etc)
    I always count on him for my grip since his power master grip is very good.

    *you can also find him on ebay with name: squash_mart, or go and google, rkep grip ebay
    Last edited by Avenger; 10-14-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •