comparable to MP88

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by faion, Jan 16, 2004.

1. faion

faion Regular Member

hello players out there.
    I'm having some trouble looking for a MP88, can anybody help? I'm in the US, in san francisco to be exact. I have friends helping me look for one in HK. But from the threads i've seen...seems like they don't carry it over there. Are there any racquets out there right now that is comparable to the MP88, flex of the staff, power generated, weight, price*, etc.

oh...and i'm looking for the 4U model...the lighter one.
    Thanks!!!

2. Traum

Traum Regular Member

The Pointfore Ultimate might be of interest to you. The racquet is actually 4U. Dunno why the US website lists it as 85g. Check it out here.

-Rick

3. faion

faion Regular Member

i forgot to mention that i want less stiffness on the staff.
    thanks traum-

i decided to go with lighter racquets because i think i'm getting tennis elbow from using my MP77. I play alot of doubles and i feel like i'm more of a defensive player. So...something lighter and medium stiffness would work. Any suggestions?:confused:

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Are you looking for MP88 or looking for something that plays similar to MP88? Med-flex Isometric? There's a wide range of racquets with characteristics like that. Yonex and Non-Yonex. SOTX and Winex come to mind, most of their models are not overly stiff and very affordable.

5. forum168

forum168 New Member

you may try Yonex Ti7 light, it ccomes with MP frame and slim shaft just like MP88.
    but Ti7 light is head light, also the stiffness from the shaft is very close to 88.

6. faion

faion Regular Member

cappy75-

i'm actually interested in the mp88 because it's head heavy, but i'm just shopping around for alternatives, because "yonex" just seems to be selling their racquets for a high price because of its brand. That's just my thinking tho. I don't mind trying kason, gosen, yang yang or other brands if there are comparables.

thanks

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If your friends have trouble getting your MP88, ask them to call Tom at 81010506, who should be able to get what you are looking for. For a little more, why don't you consider the MP99?

8. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

Here's a racquet with similar specs. Same flex, not as head heavy, but still head heavy (you play more doubles anyways), lighter than MP88 4U!

Karakal SL 70 (balance strung: 303 mm, flex: 35, weight strung: 84 grams)
    Yonex MP88 (balance strung: 310 mm, flex: 35, weight strung: 87 grams)

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Actually the SL-70 *should* weigh about 75g when strung (this includes one "proper" thickness of grip too, rather than the ultra-thin grips that are standard on Yonex et al)

I've been playing with a MP-88 (4U) for the past year. It broke; I've replaced it with a Karakal SL-70. I find that they have a very similar feel. The Karakal is about the same for power (surprisingly!), but much better for fine touch shots at the net (especially tumbles).

However, the Karakal is not head-heavy. The MP-88 was slightly head-heavy. If you feel you get more power from a head-heavy racket, you should probably avoid the SL-70. I don't get any extra smashing power with a head-heavy racket, but many people do - it's all down to personal playing style and taste.

#10 Gollum, Jan 23, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2004