hello badminton fanatics

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by bighook, Jan 17, 2004.

1. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    HI Everybody Well I finally got the courage to join the forum as a registered member.I like the rest of you am a badminton fanatic.I got serious way back in 85-86.I started to play in university and after getting creamed by some provincial players decided that there was more to this game than the poor backyard image.I got fooled by deception and run silly and knew my ego wouldn't tolerate this.I followed the sport and attempted to find places and people to play and to learn.I was in luck to some degree as I came to find a place and one canadian masters champion to play who not only taught me humility but also gave me the spark to always get better.He was a monster in that he had the popeye forearms and just when you were sure you had him he would hit the most incredible shots.His style was unorthodox and here is one of those incredible shots I am talking about.Imagine you've hit a clear deep and fast to the backhand corner and it appears he is late.Well he would lean back and with those incredible forearms hit an attacking crosscourt clear to within an inch of the back line junction.Well as you can imagine with that power and precision you definitely had to cover the back court well .To top it off he would hit those tap dropshots dead on inside the front service line.Talk about baptism by fire.Try as hard as I could I knew that I wasn't going to improve without coaching.I couldn't get any thing by regular channels and finally spent a year in California to be coached by a chinese coach who told me I would have to relearn everything and that technique not only saved energy but was key to everything else.Relearning the proper stroke was fundamental and the million times I used a tennis racket to enforce the proper technique was key.That along with footwork I had learned gave me the stepping stones to become the better player I had so wanted to be.The results began to come as I began to start winning some of the tournaments and gained some recognition along the way.I took coaching certification and learned more about the game and became a firm study of badminton videos as I watched in awe the amazing rallies and tried to disect the techniques that made them great players .I got better and tried coaching these skills to others with some success.Some people liked what I taught and others after going to other coaches revealed that I didn't hold back when it came to teaching which is something that always frustrated me .A tip I can give you that made the journey easier and bearable was to ask people who had beaten me what I was doing wrong or if I saw a skill I wanted to learn I would approach them and ask how they did it.I know how easy that sounds but alot of people never do it.I continued coaching at the college level with some success but ran into politics which ended a thriving program.The athletic director wanted out of the league because of the cost and I guess not enough trophies or publicity.Amazing how these people in positions of power lack the knowledge of what it takes to play this sport let alone be successful at it.The team I had also had the highest combined grade point average of all the athletics 3 years running.Just venting a little.Anyways now I play at a variety of different places.Age is catching up with me but I love the thrill of the battle.I still get humbled by the best players out there but feel alive when the rallies are intense and fast.Anyways I enjoy checking out the forum and took advantage of the badminton videos to be had.There is a variety of people who On this forum who I feel have immense knowledge of the game and it is a real service to those who are on the path to finding the joy of badminton.I hope at some point I can share a little insight of my journey to those who are less fortunate .Sorry to be so melodramatic but I know the road is long and filled with ups and downs but is a journey well worth taking.

2. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Wow, that's quite a badminton journey bighook. I couldn't but help to notice you play in burnaby. Where do you play?

3. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    I play sometimes at BCIT and deerlake as well as in wetvan and northvan.Yeah I get around.But as you know anything for a chance to play.

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    How come I don't see you at Collingwood Sundays anymore?

-dave

5. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Scheduling conflicts sometimes make it impossible.I hope to make it there again soon.Some good play at collingwood and I miss it.I occasionally run into Karl but at bonsor on days off.Anyways hopefully i will rejoin the colling wood flock.

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    you also play at deerlake eh? just trying to guess who you are...

7. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    I am Derek .I am the white guy among the sea of asians.

8. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Your intro was the first thread I read today, and I thought hmmm....I think I know who it is.

Welcome to the Forum!

+--Karl--+

9. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Thanks Karl Yeah I finally figured out what went wrong the first time I tried to register.Hope the white guy among a sea of asians wasn't taken the wrong way.By the way some excellent posts on your part.Derek