User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 18 to 29 of 29
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Had one hell of a time trying new strings :-) !!

    I should say i was quite lucky today. My friend brought some goodies for me to try ! Let me explain in detail. We were using DNA red shuttlecocks (speed 77) which have been previously used for match play. All the racquets are 4U-G4 type.

    1. VT70 + BG80 @ 24 lbs : This was one powerful experience. Smashes and clears were the strong point. I felt so elated, i failed to play anything other than smashes. After settling down, i tried the drops and net shots. This string is very similar to BG65Ti, but however i am getting a better feel for the bird on this string.

    2. VT ZF + NBG 98 @ 24 lbs : This was a very unique experience. Clears were sailing out quite easily and the net shots were very good. The weird experience came with the smashes and drop shots. String feels quite slippery and the drop shots end up at the net. Smashes felt like they were bouncing off the string bed.

    3. VT ZF + BG65 @ 24 lbs : This was a routine affair. Clears were falling within the court lines. Net shots, drops & smashes were fine. It certainly lacks the repulsive touch which i saw in NBG98 and BG80, but seemed like an all round performer.

    4. VT ZF + BG68Ti @ 24 lbs : Cross court slice drops, net shots, net kills, smashes and drives felt wonderful. Clears were spot on the line. This one felt the best on VT ZF.

    I played a singles game with racquet no 2 and 4. I won the game which i played with racquet 4. Lost the one which i played with racquet 2. I played a doubles game with racquet no 1 and won the game in straight sets. The game felt quite good, but i am playing on thursday & saturday as well and my friend has agreed to let me use his racquets on those days as well. Currently i am leaning towards BG68Ti for VT-ZF and also thinking on replacing the BG65Ti on my VT70 with BG80.

    Folks were spot on with their comments. The VT80 which i tried out last time was strung at 26 lbs and that tension is too high for me. I play my best with string tension of 23 or 24 lbs.

    Will keep you all posted with further updates .....

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    i am not an expert, but i have had experience with the strings you mentioned above. i find the bg80 a pretty powerful string. your friend's vt80 with bg80 might feel like a brick because the tension might be quite a bit higher. your stringer is correct that nbg98 and bg66u is quite repulsive. his opinion of using a repulsive string maybe because he's had customers purchasing the vtzf and strung with whatever string then realized it's too stiff. some thinks that vtzf is stiff, and to me, my personal opinion is that it's a medium stiff racket. so for me, even with a stiff string like vs850 i can still generate some power, but of course i would be able to generate more power with nbg98, which is the string i'm currently experimenting with different rackets.

    the stiffer the racket shaft, the harder it is to generate power unless you have the technique down. unfortunately, string selection is pretty much trial and error, and it's quite personal. an idiot like me will take forever to figure out which string suits my play, and even then i am still switching from one string to another, and also readjusting the tension due to my lack of strength.
    You were spot on my friend. The VT80 was strung at 26 lbs. No wonder i found it difficult to play with it.

  3. #20
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,333
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Since you don't string over 24lbs, you should try Zymax 62. Get your friend to try it too.

    Control, power, sound, feel. Everything is there.

    You won't regret it. And there'll be no turning back.

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Since you don't string over 24lbs, you should try Zymax 62. Get your friend to try it too.

    Control, power, sound, feel. Everything is there.

    You won't regret it. And there'll be no turning back.
    Does Zymax 62 hold string tension for a while ? I will check with my club tomorrow. Most likely they should have a trial racquet with Zymax 62 strung on it. I will try it out and ask my friend also to try as well

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,228
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    Would like to ask your opinion on the following: at what stage does a player has the ability to feel different tensions, strings, stiffness,etc.
    It depends on the individual. Everyone is different. However generally most people start to develop preferences for string, tension, racquet characteristics etc as they become intermediate level players.... when they have had enough experience to form an opinion. But that's not to say that beginners cannot have an opinion... but perhaps a less experienced opinion.

    Obviously there are some who swear by one racquet and one string/tension. I know high-intermediate players who have played for longer than me (almost 25 yrs) refusing to use an isometric racquet and sticks with their trusty Cab20s and BG65 @ 24lb for as long as I can remember.

    Whilst on the other hand I've seen novices with top of the range new racquets strung at 26lb - and struggling to clear further than midcourt.

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta - Canada
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sanredrose View Post
    Does Zymax 62 hold string tension for a while ? I will check with my club tomorrow. Most likely they should have a trial racquet with Zymax 62 strung on it. I will try it out and ask my friend also to try as well
    On Zymax 62 - Love it, but honestly haven't had it last long enough to determine "a while". Mine tend to break after a week (3x3hour sessions). Possibly 2 weeks if I'm lucky In that time, sure it holds tension just fine. If your stringer knows Haribito pattern, that also helps with tension holding too in my opinion

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    aberdeen
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for answering, your answer does agree with what I think.

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Since you don't string over 24lbs, you should try Zymax 62. Get your friend to try it too.

    Control, power, sound, feel. Everything is there.

    You won't regret it. And there'll be no turning back.
    Checked with my club, they have trial racquets with Zymax 65 strings. I will try them out tonight :-)

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    i am not an expert, but i have had experience with the strings you mentioned above. i find the bg80 a pretty powerful string. your friend's vt80 with bg80 might feel like a brick because the tension might be quite a bit higher. your stringer is correct that nbg98 and bg66u is quite repulsive. his opinion of using a repulsive string maybe because he's had customers purchasing the vtzf and strung with whatever string then realized it's too stiff. some thinks that vtzf is stiff, and to me, my personal opinion is that it's a medium stiff racket. so for me, even with a stiff string like vs850 i can still generate some power, but of course i would be able to generate more power with nbg98, which is the string i'm currently experimenting with different rackets.

    the stiffer the racket shaft, the harder it is to generate power unless you have the technique down. unfortunately, string selection is pretty much trial and error, and it's quite personal. an idiot like me will take forever to figure out which string suits my play, and even then i am still switching from one string to another, and also readjusting the tension due to my lack of strength.
    Can you detail your experience with Nanogy 98 string on VT-ZF and other racquets ? How does it play in terms of back court and close net ?

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sanredrose View Post
    Does Zymax 62 hold string tension for a while ? I will check with my club tomorrow. Most likely they should have a trial racquet with Zymax 62 strung on it. I will try it out and ask my friend also to try as well
    I was able to try Yonex Voltric 7 with Zymax 62 @ 23 lbs(white colored string). Its a trial racquet and i think it has been played with quite a bit. Anyways the string was very good. Clears were effortless, smashes were quite powerful. Net shots were pretty accurate. Overall i found this string to be very good. It is a super thin string, but i find that between games the string kind of slides around a bit over the other. Is this expected ?

    I am playing over this weekend as well and most likely will decide between BG68Ti or Zymax 62. Will keep the thread updated ....

  11. #28
    Regular Member ucantseeme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany, Northrhine Westfalia
    Posts
    871
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On fresh Zymax strings I have everytime this moving of the strings. It's pretty normal. IMO their is no need to change the string type but mostly I change the string type on every stringing job to try something new or a different combination of racket and string and tension.
    Last edited by ucantseeme; 10-19-2013 at 11:59 AM.

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Finally i have decided to stick with BG68Ti on VT-ZF. One week of game play has been feeling quite good. I replaced VT70 with Zymax 65 string as well. This combo seems to perform extremely well. Thanks to all the folks for ur insight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •