How I nearly died from badminton :retold

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by bighook, Jan 18, 2004.

1. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Not sure if any of you are familiar with the name Ken Money.He is a former astronaught candidate from Canada.I met him while with a friend who was competing in the US Masters tournament. A real nice gentleman and an avid badminton player.He is ambidextrous (could play with both hands) .Anyways part of the astronaught training program is doing skydiving .Ken apparently was in bad shape as he had developed tennis elbow in both his arms.Well you can imagine jumping out and not be sure if you could muster the strength to pull the ripcord.Talk about a badminton diehard.Just thought it might interest you to know even astronaught candidates play this game.By the way Ken retired just before being able to catch one of those shuttle missions.

2. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Sorry but I might have missed something but I read it a couple of times and still don't understand how this relates to the topic you posted.

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

he's saying the astronaught trainee could have died from not being able to have the strength to pull the ripcord during parachuting if the safety chute did not autmoatically engage.

Kind of like me saying I could have died from badminton if i was too tired to drive a car but I drove anyway and didn't have the strength to press the brakes while coming to a red light.
    :confused:

4. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    OHH...hahaha. Now I get it. Thanks for the explaination.

5. tropicalmouse

tropicalmouse Regular Member

Student
    i was thinking along the lines of a birdie going through your head or something...

6. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Sorry if my telling wasn't so good.MY own experiences have come close to blindness and calf and ankle sprains.I had one guy who jumped backwards while I was in full swing of a smash and hit him on the head.I actually drew blood once when I killed a shot at the net and hit my friends arm taking off a layer of skin.I unfortunately have seen way too many people do achilles tendon ruptures chasing down shots.Not pleasant and no apology is ever good enough to ease my conscience.

7. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    well, if you put it that way, everything has it's risks.... some crazy person could push me into a subway or car.... the same applies to badminton... but the odds (like the odds of me being pushed into a subway car) are not that high....

i've been hit by birds more times than i can remember....

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The worst injury I've ever had was from badminton - a sprained ankle. It sounds like nothing, but after a second sprain ice-skating it took more than a year to recover. It no longer restricts my play, but is still painful.

The reason it was so damaging is that I didn't realise how severe the injury was initially. It wasn't too painful to keep playing, so I played fairly intensely for another hour. As I cycled home the pain hit me. I should have stopped immediately, iced it and gone home carefully for some rest.

More recently I did the same thing with my other foot. I stopped at once and left. Next day it was fine.

Moral? Take care of your body; badminton is a demanding sport and minor injuries can quickly become major ones if you are not cautious.

Also with sprains, I recommend returning to sport **gently** as soon as you safely can. You don't want to cause more trauma, but you do want to avoid the atrophy of small muscles that will engender a long-term weakness.

9. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

i have a few shin scars from badminton...
    jump smash + bad followthrough = missing skin on shins

That's ok... i have lots of skin anyways :eek:

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Or is it 'thick' skin:p

11. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    i dislocated my thumb by playing badminton... but meh... :D

12. Baddersmum

Baddersmum Regular Member

I know this is an old thread but it reminded me of my son's accident. While playing doubles his partner and best friend accidentally hit him with racket in the stomach. (Shouldn't of been going for the same shot) anyway the hit casued some soreness but no bruising.

24 hours later he was having his spleen removed and being given masses of blood.

The not to hard impact with racket actually ruptured his spleen and he had been bleeding internally since the accident. :eek:

The doctors said he was lucky to be alive

13. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Wow! :eek: That must have been very scary for you as a parent.
    Hope your son recovers quickly. :cool:

(And please remember to keep up with the vaccinations he should have now that his bug-fighting spleen is gone. ):)

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Weird things happen in this world. Imagine a boxer got punch on the stomach so many times and your son only got hit once. Yeah, hope your son gets well soon.

15. Pulish

Pulish Regular Member

Theocrat
    Me too, got Space Brained and Confused when I focused on the Astronaut, Ambidextrous subjects. Maybe that's the tragic reason of his "Fall" and not Badminton!

16. master_taz101

master_taz101 Regular Member

that's basically why its called sports. I personally think that these things are really risky. You should always be ready on watever would happen since you stepped up for the challenge. That's when true sportsmanship comes