Stiff & flex racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Exert, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Hello BC members , I use a nano speed 100, nanoray 20 all strung at 25 lbs & I also have bought a arcsaber 009DX WHich is super stiff , when I use the arcsaber I find it hard to generate the same power as I generate with my flexy racquets , would it be a good choice to sell my arcsaber 009DX and get a medium flex racquet for an example voltric 70 or a arcsaber I-slash? I'm into yonex 100% , would just stiff racquets be better like the voltric 9? Thanks.

2. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Get a medium flex if it suitable with your playing style

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I'll try my friends voltric 9 it's rated stiff if that doesn't work out on me I'll probably get a medium flex :)

4. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I need more opinions please thanks.

5. Lillee

Lillee New Member

Hi Exert,

I've been using Voltric 9 for nearly 2 years and last week moved to Arcsaber i-Slash as I was looking for more speedy racquet for net play and doubles play.

See my write up: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...Slash-an-amateur-review?p=2151869#post2151869

I'd describe my smash as medium to medium-fast and have been improving in technique over last 6 months. I can easily clear to back court from the back of the court both forehand and backhand drive on both racquets no problems. I think it is easier to generate more power from my Voltric overall, but the Arcsaber is a better overall racquet for game play for me. It's speedier. When I do hit it properly and at the right timing I feel the speed is approximately the same on both racquets as the Arcsaber i-Slash makes up for head heavy with speed of the head perhaps.

I've also noticed after good workout my wrist and forearm is usually sore with Voltric 9, but today I feel like I haven't played at all last night when I used the Arcsaber.

Lastly Voltric has a bigger sweetspot making it easier to play with in my opinion. Arcsaber small head frame will take a month to get used to I think.

6. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

IMO flex is 1 of the most difficult racket attributes to get used to, it can happen in either direction, i.e. from flex to stiff or vice versa.

It would be important to first define the necessity to have a change from your normal specs. In your case, why you want to go from flexible to stiff racket? This will help in your determination to improve/adapt your technique. It's all too easy to lose hope, and give up if we haven't set the objective for the change.

I would say stick with flex and mid-stiff rackets if you are just having "gadget" acquisition syndrome. :p

7. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I'm
    Planning to try my friends voltric 9 it's rated stiff & maybe I can handle it and the DX Arcsabers are supposed to be super stiff I just didn't realize ):, thank you so much I'm leaning towards the arc I slash more now

8. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    The reason why I want to go to a mid stiff because I want to move up from flex, I've gotten bored of the feel flex, from what I heard if you're able to flex that stiffer racquet it should produce more power as well , correct me if I'm wrong?

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    visor or gundamzaku, please answer this query.

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    if you like the balance of the arcsaber and just couldn't handle the stiffness, then before you absolutely have to sell it, go and restring the racket with the same string and down the tension a couple lbs and see if that would help you generate power. if you must get a medium flex arcsaber, then the i-slash would be nice.

if you actually don't like the balance of the arcsaber and would like something that's more head heavy then yes, the vt70 would be an option because i do considered the vt70 to be medium flex at best. vt9 is a very decent racket for a beginner to intermediate player and i find it very forgiving as well.

another option would be that if you use a very bouncy string it might help you generate power as well. 25lbs with bg65 is going to be very different than 25lbs with bg80.

11. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Those saying VT9 is stiff - I would rate it medium to be honest....

12. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Thank you and I have tried it with a different strings and tension it's no use thank you I appreciate your response and everybody else's response :) probably going to sell it :3

13. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

It sounds like your objective is to upgrade your skills, and may be play badminton at a higher level (than what you do currently)... but as I mentioned, lot of commitment is required to change your technique/muscle memory/skill if you want to persist and get along with Arc 009DX. If you are just getting bored of your existing setup, and want to have a change, try keeping the flex at mid-flex and experiment with balance.. i.e. head heavy or head light. VT70 should be a good choice in that case.

14. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Hahaha yes this is highly accurate, I think I'm going to get an voltric 70 :), thanks guys I appreciate it , I do have motivation to upgrade my skills , it all started when my father told me stories of him in provincials three times in a row, it really inspired me :3

15. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I had a very odd experience with the voltric 9 :0 , I tend to bend the shaft of racquets to see the stiffness and surprisingly the voltric 9 is really flexible :0 when it's rated stiff but my nanospeed 100 is rated flexible while it's more stiff? I am very confused someone help me.