stringing racket at a higher tension because it's too flexible?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by koreangangster, Oct 14, 2013.

1. koreangangster

koreangangster Regular Member

healthcare
    Hello,

I have an Adidas precision tour racquet. At first I liked it but I feel it is too flexible (it's rated "flexible"). It is strung at 21lb BG66 for repulsion (while I learned clear technique) but I'm having horrible results on net play. It feels dead at the net.

Because it's so flexible (I can feel it) what do you think of compensating by increasing string tension to stiffen things up? Say BG65 24 lbs?

Thanks!
    KG

2. sanredrose

sanredrose Regular Member

Engineer
    Have you always played with BG66 string or is this the first time you are trying it out ? Its a very good string but its quite repulsive and @ 21 lbs i don't know if you will be able to exercise precise control.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    yes, i think you should increase your tension to 23lbs and see what happens. in my experience, bg66 is a bit stiffer than bg65. that said, bg65 is really bouncy. and due to the tension lost of bg65, in three weeks or even less, the 24lbs will drop down to maybe 21lbs, which will not give you any control at all compared to bg66 at 21lbs. for most strings i string at 24x25, and with bg65 i string it at 27x28 and after a couple weeks of playing i am still missing some of the control i would like :(

i will venture to say that you shouldn't worry too much about the increase in string tension and try 23lbs because if you need your power shots, your racket will provide that for you in the form of a flexible shaft. after you have readjust and find the right tension for your play, then you can think about stiffness of racket. always address one variable at a time (tho it takes a very long time because there are so many variables) so that you can pinpoint each problem you run into.

4. swunk

swunk Regular Member

do you bend the racket or what ? when when you're playing the net? the flex has nothing to do with it. you said yourself that you're learning. so learn how to play the net well.
    your can increase tension to 23 if you want, not much significant difference.

5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

As the above post mentioned. Netting has nothing to do with racket's flexibility because the shaft DOES NOT FLEX when it impacts the shuttlecock. String tension n your own feeling/judgement are what matters

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I would have said "buy something stiffer to start with", but stringer tighter and/or stiffer will improve things a bit.

If you're after stiffness, net control and feel, I would try BG80 first - ticks all three boxes.

7. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    is it possible to mismatch such that the racket cannot unload fast enough to flex the string? and vice versa.

I think my MX60 is strung low enough that the string robs me of power - the string isn't responsive enough at the speed needed to flex the shaft.

happy to be corrected but I'm cutting them anyway.

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Some people are able to generate more power with higher tension around 30lbs, other with lower tension around 20lbs. It's time for you to try different tensions with the same string and the same stringer. A good starting point is 24lbs when you play with feathers. Not really high but not lowish. Then increase or decrease or stick with it. I would recommend to add / lower 1-2lbs to find your own tension.