Help From BF Members in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'China / Hong Kong' started by jamesd20, Jan 18, 2004.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Hi,

I don't Want to ask you to find out how much a ti-10 is in mong kok!

I am Travelling to China (Nanning) on wednesday17th March, arriving in Hong kong Thursday(18th) at 1735. I Need, and would like some help (please) in finding(in order of importance!):

1.Badminton Place to play on the thursday Evening.
    2.Cheap place to stay for one night on thursday evening.
    3.Information on finding the cheapest day to travel to Nanning on the friday. This travelling must be done in one day.

It is very important as I am visiting my girlfriends parents, and need to be relaxed.

Hope you can help me, sorry to cause you trouble. Cost is important for everything, except badminton!

I return to Hong kong for flight back on 26th April Flight leaves 2345, so any badminton to be played on that evening would be a bonus.

Going to be training when in china! Let you know how it goes,

Thanks for your help,

James

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Talking about fanatic, this is a perfect example. :D

Man, "meet the parents" on 2nd day, and u play until late night the day before??? Wow... One suggestion, ask ur gf, make sure she's not mind about ur "plan" first... ;)

3. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
  4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I assume you will travel to Nanning, Guangxi Province. I am not sure if there is direct flight from UK to Nanning. But from my limited experience one can take direct flight from Hong Kong to the resort town of Beihai (2 hours from Nanning by car), Guangxi Province. Of course, this is the expensive way. You could take the railway from Hong Kong to Shenzhen and then take a direct flight to Nanning. I hope there is direct flight from UK to Shenzhen so ask your travel agent for information. Direct flight to Shenzhen should save you lots of time & expenses.

Cheap hotel . . . you can forget about it as hotel prices have been going up due to the latest influx of Mainland tourists.

And you will not feel relax as the travel will be hectic and stressful. Beware that switching flight at Shenzhen International Airport is an eye opening experience. Flights can switch from one gate to another without notice and will often be late. Flights may be early and take off early without announcement. Good luck!!!

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    LB: The girlfriend knows where she stands! Badminton No.1-(she doesn't read this site!)Seriousley, she knows the reason I want to go to china is to play. I remember a while a go I posted saying I will have to move to a country which takes badminton more seriousley, well this is it.

Pete: So how about playing? Thanks for the info, she says that We can get a bus to shenzhen, then another bus to Nanning. But it takes 16hours! She says it may cost 200RMB, but not sure as she never done it before, as she lived in Beijing before. The only places that fly to and from china are Shanghai (Virgin only) Beijing and hong kong.

Any one any ideas on the Badminton?

If no accomadation, may have to hope a drop in session IS all night. :D

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Well, taking the bus is long and hazardous. When I say hazardous I mean flu virus, SAR and the like. Imagine you are locked in with forty odd other people and have to breath the same, contaminated air for 13 to 14 hours. If cost is all you care, make sure you take a luxury coach with one stop at most. There are buses that do frequent stop (therefore cheaper) but they are dangerous as bandits might get onboard.

It seems your girl friend already know the area pretty well. As a word of caution, Shenzhen isn't a safe place. Keep your belongings safely locked and watched at all times, especially your passport and money. Pick pockets are very common. Do not pay attention to money intentionally dropped on the ground.

Playing in China . . . Sorry I have no experience in this area. You might have to consult with YY Fan. As for playing in HK, you might try Mr. Ng's Friday session. Ask Ricky for further information.

You might try a hotel in Tsuen Wan that mainly caters to Mainland tourist and the rate should be slightly lower. However, I forgot its name.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Hi Pete,

Thanks for info-you make it sound so nice! Yeah she knows that basic area quite well-she lived there for more than 23yrs!

I know where I will play in china, she is organising that for me, I just wondered about anywhere to play on the Wednesday Night, Have you heard of anywhere?

Thanks alot,

James

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i suggest you go to Shenzhen and then fly instead of taking the bus. taking long distance ground transportation in China is usually a no-no esp since you will definitely look like a tourist. if you arrange a later departure, may be you can go around Shenzhen a little bit.

remember that the racket you hold in your hand is like a week's worth of salary for a lot of ppl there.

9. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    What does that mean? esp the "esp since you will definately look like a tourist" part? :confused:

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    pick pockets go for the wealthier looking, ie. tourists.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Very true, except that the value might worth 1 month's salary.

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    It's good to hear that your girl friend has lived there for 23 years. Please keep a low profile and do not show any expensive items like a YONEX racquet bag in public. And remember Shenzhen has all kinds of low lifes and traps. Just be very careful.

Also, bring your own bottled water and do not try out the local sea food as it might be treated with formaldehyde.

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    This p[lace sounds like its just getting better all the time! Seriousley though guys thanks for the warnings, luckily I cant afford yonex raqckets anymore,as they all broke. Do you know how much a plane might cost?

Will let you know how I get on, But again if anyone wants to play with me thursday (sorry I said wednesday last post) 18th march in hong kong, then let me know, Im not that bad!

Cheers,

James

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    About RMB 800 to RMB 1,000 depending how and where you buy it.

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Sorry, it's actually lower than I quoted earlier. RMB 400 to 600 something is more inline with current rate.