dillema mp99 or mp88

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Benasp, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

what of these raquet should i choose for a girl who play mixed double (back and front formation). she also play simple. she is very offensive and she's has a lot of power.

2. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

If u say very offensive and lots of power, mp99.

Even I cannot say i am VERY offensive and have LOTS of power. This applies to many of my friend players as well. Mp99 should no problem for her :D

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    MP-99 is known for all-around uses, so it's a definete good choice.
    If she wants a light-weight racket, then go for MP-88, which is more like a doubles racket.

4. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    I have a 3U MP99, and I agreed with the posts above that it's a great all around racket. Very manuverable, and a good compromise between power and defense.

5. c4r80n

c4r80n Regular Member

Student
    hey,

i would recommend the MP88 if she likes light racquets and uses more wrist than arm. The flexible shaft helps make a ton of power if you use the wrist whip action and the weight helps for easier defense.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think Yonex grades their MP88 as a racquet for defensive players for doubles, and MP99 for attacking players in doubles which can also be used for singles. The MP99 has less flex than all the other muscle power racquets because of the harder titanium, called 'UltimumTi', used in the frame as well the shaft. All muscle power racquets have 'UltimumTi' shaft but only the MP99 has it in both shaft and frame. The MP100 does not have 'UltimumTi' in its frame. That is why the MP99 is so much more powerful than the other muscle power racquets, because it has much less frame flex.

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    1.well, you have to have certain strength in order to apply "Ultimum Ti" into plays because MP-99 will not do anything if you just hold it still.

2. I thought about it again, I think I will recommend MP-88 instead of MP-99 in the above case. The reason is because he said that she is focus at the front-half court, which will require a fast swing speed. In terms of swing speed, MP-88 will certainly do a better job (if you get a 4U, which is light and fast)
    Since she is standing so close to the net, power is not important anymore (because you can definetely use any racket to do a net kill), so MP-99 will have no difference in this area.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    MP100 has UltimumTi too. i think that's the first racket to have it. as to whether it is actually useful, it is for you to judge.

i agree with bluejeff though, for a girl who plays at the front, a ligher racket like teh mp88 is definitely better.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

There are differences in the top three muscle power racquets.
    The MP88 has a shaft made from High grade graphite + UltimumTi, and a frame made from just high grade graphite.
    The MP99's shaft is the same as the MP88's but its frame is made from high grade graphite + UltimumTi, for less flex/distortion at impact.
    The MP100 has the same shaft as the above two racquets, but its frame is made from extra high grade graphite + Titanium mesh fibers.
    All three racquets are specified by Yonex as excellent in power and control. Only the MP88 comes in a 4U weight, hence Yonex' recommendation for defensive doubles play. Although both MP99 and MP100 are rated by Yonex as extra stiff flex, I believe the MP99 resists twisting forces in the frame better. This is because of the titanium + a special nickel alloy (UltimumTi) they put in the frame. IMO it also plays more powerfully.

10. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

Does anybody can comment on the difference between Cab 21 and MP99(3U) in terms of flexibility (Shaft), balance, overall weight, power and control. They both are 'slim shaft' but I think Cab 21 is less power than MP99(3U) because Cab 21's frame is more flex than MP99.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You can go to your local Yonex shop and ask to see a Yonex catalog of racquets, which has all the specifications you are looking for, and more, including recommendations on whether a racquet is for attacking doubles, or defensive doubles, or attacking singles, or defensive singles play. I think it also recommends the type of Yonex strings for each type of racquet. I have a copy but I gave it to a friend yesterday, so I cannot check.
    I used to have two Cab 21, but I broke one and gave one away to a chap who broke it after a few games. It is a good racquet. But I think it is not as good as the MP99.
    FYI, in Japan, the most expensive Yonex racquet is the MP100, followed by the MP99, MP88, MP77, Amortec 700. If you wait a little longer the higher prices of the MP99 and Amortec 700 over the MP100 that we see outside Japan will fall below the MP100 price.

12. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

One important item that has not been mentioned is the type of racquet that your friend is currently used to (i.e. rigid or not, head-heavy or not,...). I have both MP88 and MP99 and play mostly mixed and men's doubles.

As far as I'm concerned MP88's "lightness" translates in superior maneuverability in defense, ultra-quick net play, sufficient power for end-to-end clears, and adequate smashing power. So I tend to use the MP99 when I feel that I'll need the extra smashing power or will spend less time up front (e.g. mixed doubles).

To give you some idea of the difference in moment of inertia, switching from MP88 to MP99 during a match feels like wielding a baseball bat. So, if your friend has never played with this type of racquet before and relies on racket inertia to generate power during clears and smashes, she might be unable to get by with the MP88.

OTOH if her technique allows her to generate sufficient power with a lightweight racquet she should fall in love with the MP88...

Cheers,

Mike

13. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Imo, MP88 and MP99 are very different. It's difficult to recommend one of them without knowing more about your friends. However, I've used MP80 4U before and I think it lacks of power - you can't produce hard smash even if you have very strong forearm and wrist. It is true that it is very light so it will help your defense but I can't imagine that an offensive player will like this racket. If you decide to go for MP88, I would recommend the 3U version instead (unless you are sure that the characteristics of the 4U version is suitable for you).

I personally like MP90 very much and I think it is one of the best double racket ever made - I mean the 3U version. If you can play with stiffness, I've no hesistation to recommend MP99 to your friend (if both rackets are 3U version, I don't think MP99 has less manuverability than MP88).

14. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

its over gang, we finally bought a mp100 we got a great deal. the local shop had one and i will never sell it so we got it for about 300$ cad

15. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    Isn't $300 can. a lot of money....?

In the states its only $200 US...

16. c4r80n

c4r80n Regular Member

Student
    hey,

300CD for an MP100...you got ripped off. Lee's sells them for $245.

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Benesp might not be based in Toronto. $245 and $300 (bought in the store) is not much different once you add on the S&H charges to the price.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The prices of Yonex MP99 and 100 are coming down. I can get the MP99 for less than US$130, inclusive of shipping to the U.S. or Canada. An MP100 would be slightly less. If you can afford it, get an AT 700. It is so much better. Even with a small grip of G5 and a weight of 3U, I can hit easier and with more power than my 2U G3 MP99 and MP100 (the latter since sold).

19. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

i live in quebec and i'm sure that 300 is a great deal.

just check that shop www.tenniszon.com you'll see that a mp100 is 364 ans you need tu ad 20$ for the string and 15% of tax, plus the shipping :p