OT: GOLF: To Cooler

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Byro-Nenium, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Cooler,
    I've been playing plenty of golf recently, even more than badminton suprisingly, i've been practising mostly my approach shots and my drives. I use a 7 iron to practise my shorter irons and a 3 iron to practise my longer irons.

I find that my for finger on my left hand is starting to become very rough. You know, on the finger print surface.

Is it normal to be like that? Am i gripping the club wrong?

I do wear a glove........

thanx

2. Brett

Brett Regular Member

You might be gripping too hard. That is one of my many, many faults in golf. Remember the old addage that a player should grip the club only as hard as he/she would grip a bird without hurting it.

What is the price range in Singapore for a round of golf (18holes)? How about for a bucket of balls on the practice range?

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    byro:
    over here in canada, it's still too cold for outdoor driving range (there are indoor range here but i prefer outdoor ones)

I asssume that u r right handed. If u wear left glove and still get tender fore finger, then, like brett said, u might be gripping it too hard. Also, there are about 3 kinds of grip, i use the cross finger style (like tiger wood) for stronger swing(there is an official name for each grip but i dont know them). If u use this grip, your left fore finger should rest on top of your right pinky finger, so it should not bother your left fore finger. I'm guessing u r using the other grip which puts more pressure on left fore finger but it shouldnt if dont grip it so hard.

4. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I haven't played on the golf courses here in Singapore yet because the handicap i got from Indonesia isn't "acceptable" here.

It costs $3 for 50 balls at the driving range. Its quite expensive......

5. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Your right i don;t use that cross over grip, i think i am grippin too hard. Its actually because once when i was in Indonesia practising, i acidentally let go of my 7 iron and it flew....... paranoia really sets in........

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    like badminton grip, know when to apply pressure and when not to.

7. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Byro, is that S$3 or US $3 for 50 range balls? Either way, that's cheap - I'm now looking at paying about US $6-7 for 50 balls outdoors; there is a new golf dome indoor driving range that charges about $12 for a 50 ball bucket.

Greens fees in Wisconsin went up a bit this past year. The local, public municipal courses are charging $21 or $22 for 18 holes. There are some decent privately owned courses charging around $30 and the premium course in the area is about $70 peak season with cart ($39 currently during spring season). The second most expensive course in the state, Blackwolf Run (site of the 1998 U.S. Womens' Open) goes for about $130 a round and the same owners have opened up a new links style course, Whistling Straits, that is about $150/18 holes.