a really good book

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bighook, Jan 19, 2004.

1. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    I searched and found no mention of an old but still probably the best book on mental training.Don't be deterred by the title.The Inner Game of Tennis by James Galwey.The principles are very straight forward and are implementable quite quickly.For those of you who want to become more focused and emotionally detached from the errors this is the book for you.It is amazing that this book has been around for so long and it's principles can be attached to any sport and is invaluable to coaches.If you have the time and the willpower go get it from the library or buy it in paperback.You won't regret it

2. Average

Average Regular Member

hopefully the book is not too old as it will be hard to find it in a library

3. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    I think I may have given the wrong first name of the author.I believe it's timothy galwey.Anyway the title I know is correct.I am currently digging out my old copy.

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

A quick google finds it on Amazon for about 11 USD in paperback, or 5 USD second hand
    Author W. Timothy Gallwey

5. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Hey Bighook,

Would it be possible to give a quick synopsis of 2 or 3 techniques described in the book? :)

6. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    This book teaches you about the self ego (you know how you talk to yourself when you play) and how destructive it can be in learning and executing skills.The book trains you how to be focused and let your true abilities surface by trusting your body.The principle of learning and executing through visualization is also taught and it can be used to teach others.Lastly the book teaches how to enjoy the experience of play and how to keep growing in other areas of life.

7. teddy

teddy Regular Member

But how has it actually benefitted you? More skill? Or...?

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    More psychological skills, focus, self-discipline, maintaining confidence... essential when your competition has the same skillset as you at competitive level. Those skills are useful in coping with life situations as well, not just sports.

9. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    For myself I gained more skill by learning to get into the zone and tune out the distractions.I learned how to play with less effort as well as become more consistent.Have you noticed the pros seem to let nothing daunt them and when you do see it it ultimately leads to end.I find ability to stay focused on the task is key.You know how some people when the score is like 13 or 14 they just can't seem to finish it off and often let their opponents back into a game .That is where the mental training is key.Trust me it is a good book and it is in laymans language so you don't need a degree in psychology to appreciate it.