why can't they make a plastric shuttle that flies like feather?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by dominikk1985, Oct 19, 2013.

1. dominikk1985

dominikk1985 Regular Member

clinical science
    Wouldn't modern technology allow to create a plastic shuttle that almost exactly flies like like feather? I also wonder why nylons always have the same "parachute" and not some kind of artifical feathers that resemble real feathers more closely. wouldn't it be possible to create exactly the same drag as real feathers if you use good engeneering?

2. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

The Mavis 2000 is as close as it comes.

3. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    With all the R&D at Yonex, I'm sure if anyone can, it would be them. Perhaps it's a conspiracy. If Yonex can produce a hybrid nylon that can "match" the feathers closer than current ones, the feather market would take a big hit. :) It doesn't even have to last as long as the current Mavis nylons, just longer than feathers, could have a life in between feathers and current nylons. Yonex is smart, the money is in the mark up of rackets, just keep introducing new models.

4. dominikk1985

dominikk1985 Regular Member

clinical science
    that makes sense. maybe they could also use something to coat or fill the feathers making them more durable.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

This subject has been discussed before in various threads.

The short answer is that there have been innovative plastic skirt designs from various companies. None has taken hold with the badminton public.
    Also, there have been shuttles with individual synthetic "feathers". But apparently it was very expensive.

The question remains: Is the inability to create a feather-like plastic shuttle because of the miraculous but ineffable qualities of organic feathers? Or is the physics do-able but just too expensive?

Now that the exisitence of the Higgs Bosun has been confirmed, there must be a few geniuses with time on their hands to figure this out. :)

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is a big difference in whether one can do it, and whether it would be cost effective.

i agree with you, with modern material technology, carbon fiber, carbon nanotube, etc, there bound to be material that are strong enough to beat natural bird feather. however, goose/duck feathers are surprising strong material when you measure strength/weight ratio, and even more surprising when you measure strength/cost ratio as well.

i believe someone is able to duplicate the strength/weight ratio, as well as strength to cost ratio, but i doubt anyone has managed to duplicate both at the same time.

and ultimately, to be successful, the invention will have to beat feathers in terms of cost/durability.

i today i doubt such a material exist.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

I say forget plastic...they'll just clog our oceans when we have to dispose of them eventually...

The environmentally friendly option (and carnivorous too ;) ) would be to continue with feathers as they're much more easily biodegradeable. :D

Not to mention they feel infinitely better...

#7 visor, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's a really good point!

9. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I agree, I love playing with feather but where I play, the group is exclusively nylon, so I try to play with the best nylon possible.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Best nylon possible... Mavis 2000.

11. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Yes, I agree, that's the one I always pull out to play. Of course we're all on BC and looking for that edge, so I'm constantly looking out for something better than the 2000. :)

12. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Omg that's the same with me. I want to use feathers, but I never get the chance. One time I was playing at my club and they only use plastics. So when I was able to get a singles court game with my buddy I toke out my feathers and some guy ask, "You like those?" in a very condescending tone. When the game started he just stood near the court and complained how the shuttle was slower or how it wouldn't last the match, etc. So annoying..

Anyways back to the point of the thread. I also think it's a conspiracy :p
    They probably do have a method of producing nylon with feather flight but either it's expensive to produce or feathers are more profitable.

13. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Steve, that's terrible that he would say that about the feather shuttle. At our place, most if not all will agree feathers are the way to play but we have mixed skilled players so a feather will get hammered in the skirt if we play with them and it will get costly. Plus, we have members who have trouble picking up all white shuttles in the lights on clears and I've been asked to switch to yellow nylons even if I am holding a white nylon in my hand to start the game. :(

14. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

I honestly don't know why he would go out of his way to complain, but hey, I'm not the one missing out :)

15. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I use both AS40/AS50 and Mavis 2000 every session our group play ... Mavis 2000 for warm-up and practise and AS40/50 for games ... all are Yonex's top-end in the respective categories and yes, there is a difference - not so much in terms of flight or mechanics but in terms of FEEL. When you hit the feather shuttle, the feedback through the racquet is totally different from plastic.

However, haveing said that, I will say Mavis 2000 is about as good as AS30.

16. VegiSmash

VegiSmash Regular Member

Have you heard of recycling plastic?

17. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Shuttle is slow?? of course. No wonder some are so proud that they can smash faster with nylon (they must be thinking they have a powerful smash) but struggle in tournament using a feather.

18. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Don't worry folks, genetically modified ducks are coming. There will be a mass production of GMO ducks for making feather shuttles and they will be able to withstand a 500km smash. Best of all, it will be cheaper.

19. smashmaniac

smashmaniac Regular Member

haha. here in south east asia, its weird to play with nylon shuttle. a good high end shuttle such as RCL Classic cost around RM 50++ per tube ( equivalent to USD 18++) wheas 3 pieces of nylon cost about the same. and totally the feel of feather shuttle is far superior and satisfied as compared with nylon

20. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    you said "here in south east asia" but your location is Afghanistan