what category to play

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Benasp, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

i have a tournament in the next month and after it it will become serious, road to provincial championship.
    so the next tournament i could choses in what categorie to play, all along the years i played mixed double and men's double. But i really like the simple. it's much hard than double IMO.

i have two choise
    - to play mixed double and men double with my girls partner ( yes i said men double with a female), last years we finish 3rd, not bad for a girl. this way we could pratice more for the other tournament. Also that will fear the other mixt team if they saw us play men double, they would try to get classed in other categorie :p

-or play mixt and simple. the simple will also help a lots.

what do you think ? and i you did you focus only on simple or double or you play both in tournament ?

2. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

Mens doubles with a female? Can you do that? What type of tournament is this? High school? Provincial? I always thought if you can't find a male partner for men's doubles, then you're out of luck. If you can enter men's doubles, what's stopping you two from entering women's doubles too?:confused:

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The rules for different tournaments will vary, but in my experience it is often permissible for a lady to play in place of a man. A man will never be allowed to play in place of a lady. The reason for this is pretty obvious: men are potentially much stronger.

4. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

when a girls is too good for the other, she can play with boys like sorenstam did in golf. but that not the question. we are allowed to play and it's very fair for us.

5. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

I used to play with a girl that much stronger than me during man's double (she could beat most of male players in the competition even for single, but she did not attend men’s single). There was psychological advantage. On top of that, during the game opening, the opponent tended to send the shuttle to the girl. And this was big mistake. Once the opponent realized the error, it was not that easy to aim every shot to me due to habit to play with mixed opponents.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Very very true.

I just made such a mistake. Tried my "evil" strategy when i joined the new club. Try to push the lady to the back and attack. Big mistake, as her clear is much more effective than the guy (she's taller and younger). By the time I found out, too damn late to avoid a big blown out.

7. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

So, never underestimate the female if you play man double with such a mixed pair. The strategy is play like a normal man double match and you can find out which one is weaker faster. If you aim everything to the girl, if she is good, you do not even know how good the guy is and what weakness he has. And it may be already half way into the match.

For my case, the girl I played with just normal height and slim build. And we were all very young at that time. Her smash was powerful and footwork was very smooth. And not even mention the deadly sharp drop and net play she had that were normally do not need too much physical from a female player. Like your “evil” strategy gave her absolute demonstration of power smash and deceptive sharp drop and I picked quick kills at the net if the return was weak (in such case, we were easily at attacking side due to unnecessary high clear to push back the girl. I guessed no one would try such strategy if facing two strong male players). And most of opponents would think I was deadly too since they had never exploited my weakness (like backhand and footwork at back) properly.

8. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

I guess that makes sense that a female can enter in a male event. But I think that it would only be right to enter one of the two events, ie. mixed doubles or men's doubles, women's singles or men's singles. Imagine what would happen if two women who are better than every man in the tournament and decides to enter in Men's doubles, Women's Doubles, Mixed Doubles, Women's Singles, and Men's singles.

I'm not saying that I disagree, but since the reasoning came up of a woman participating in a men's event is OK because men are potentially much stronger. Would you feels the same if a 10 year old boy participate in an adult women's event with the same reasoning? Is this being allowed? Why or why not?

9. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

Normally, female is allowed to participate any doubles, not man single. This might be the reason my past female partner never tried man single even she was good to take on anyone. When I was in Oregon, there were two very good female players. They did try both man and woman double at Oregon state game two years ago. They got No3 in man open double, only beaten by the champion during semi final. I doubt No 2 pair could beat them.

I do not agree a young boy can participate woman events. If he is good, he can try man open events. The rule is, if you are good, try man’s events (best of open).

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think let specialized female players participate male's event is the "best of worst" way to promote a sport, when female events are not competitive or lack of paticipants for those one who are good. What I mean is, so many times, good females players being left out of local tourny, not because they want to, just because the host can't gather enough competitive female players. Therefore, either the event/flight will be cancelled, or the entire matchups in that particular category is crappy. Imagine just 2 pairs of beginners playing against each other, can they share the prize. Is that faire for other participants who fought to death to survive?

Therefore, for special cases like that, invite competitive female players to join MD is giving them a chance to enjoy the tourny. I am not saying it's the best solution, but as a baddy community, I just hate good players being left behind, due to lack of participation.

For cases such like letting young boys join adult female events, I don't think they have excuse as being listed above. As most of sports come into my mind, there are always more male events/flights than female ones.

The exception might be, let male players join female team to practice. Including myself (when I was young), I think many guys experienced training baddy with girls' team, as in some area, HS only has girls' baddy program. I enjoyed my time, as I learned from others as well. However, I did not join their "ladder" as I think it's not very fair for them, regardless whether I am better or worse than them.