Volric 80 vs Arcsaber 11/Racket Recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by NotIanParker, Oct 20, 2013.

1. NotIanParker

NotIanParker Regular Member

Hello everybody, I'm new here :)

My racket of 4 years finally broke, and I'm in the market for a new one.

About me: I'm a high school senior, I've been playing for 5 years and I consider myself to be intermediate and leaning a bit towards advanced. I usually play singles. I'm looking for a racket that gives me control and accuracy, but can also lay down a good smash when the opportunity is presented. I prefer head-heavy rackets as well.

I've been looking primarily at the voltric 80, and the arcsaber 11, and I'm having trouble figuring out which one would better suit my needs. Could someone please help? Any advice would be great!

Additional info: I live in Canada, money is not too much of an issue for me although I'd rather not spend over $250 dollars. If you want to ask me more questions I'd be happy to answer.

:)

2. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

3. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    If you can get the MX JJS I think it will suit your need. If you prefer yonex then I would say arcsaber 11

4. Steve the noob

I don't think so. If he's looking at Yonex, he should get a VT-80 (Singles and
    'prefers head-heavy rackets')

5. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    He is considering control and accuracy. Arc 11 is an even balance racket with a slightly a bit head heavy.

6. NotIanParker

How does the VT 80 compare in terms of control? I like to drop it from the backcourt when i can, would the VT 80 still give me an pretty accurate shot?

7. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Have you play with head-heavy racket before? It require a bit of skills for control and defend if you choose VT80 but it still an excellent racket.

8. Steve the noob

Shinichi is right that the Arc 11 is better for control and accuracy, I supposed I missed that part reading your post the first time around.

Can you give us a little more detail on your style of play? Like if you prefer to play offensive style matches or wear the opponent of with control, etc.

Also, I see you're from Toronto, which highschool do you go to? I go to Stephen Lewis Secondary :)

9. NotIanParker

I prefer making my opponent move around and I try to wear them out and make them tired. I normally push them to the sides and catch them out of position, and try to make the precision shots. I'll only really smash if I have a clear chance where it's a guaranteed point.

And as for my high school, I go to Ursula Franklin Academy, it's a public school in the west end of toronto :)

10. Steve the noob

Then I would suggest an ARC11, not a VT80. A VT80 isn't a terribly bad racket for control and precision, it's just not the one you're looking for.

11. NotIanParker

Thanks! Do you have any string/tension suggestions that work well?

12. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Seem like ARC11 is your choice

13. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    I go for Zymax 65 or yonex NBG98. Medium string but high tension for control. Im using 27lbs.

14. Steve the noob

Since you have been playing (roughly) the same amount of time I have, I'm going to assume we're the same level. Since schools use nylon shuttles, I wouldn't recommend thin gauge strings. My current favourite is BG80 @ 26lbs. BG80 has a hard feeling to it. If you have never played at this tension before, I wouldn't suggest shooting to it at once. Work you way up from around 22 lbs, as you might find it uncomfortable to play. If you are used to higher tensions, that string would still be my recommendation, or Zymax 65.

15. NotIanParker

What about the BG80P strings? Are they any better? It seems like they have more power and durability.

16. Steve the noob

I have BG80P on my racket right now. It's a good string, definitely more durable. Don't let the names fool you, these strings are completely different. Not that ones better than the other, just very different feeling. BG80 has that hard feeling, when strung at 26lbs it kind of feels like wire, in a good way...?, helps with drops and nets. BG80P is like hitting with a pillow, a very soft hit, this one is more comfortable to clear with consecutively.

17. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Hmmmm, Nanogy 99 @ 24lbs should do good. Gives you insane control