User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by senior888 View Post
    If RI do become the greatest WS player of her generation - then I suppose
    China and the rest of the world will adapt to copy or counter her game - but
    like LD, RI I think is a truly gifted player and her opponent may adapt or copy
    but like LD, being gifted and brilliant, she will overcome all.
    Don't get too over excited, just look at what too high of expectation the Indian fans bestowed onto SN. I am not convinced until the stats tell me otherwise, there are simply too many prodigies never live up to their potential. There are so many threads in this Forum named The Next King, Rising Star, The next No 1 etc, how many of those predictions actually materialized. Let father time speak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. While I have high hopes for RI, I also have hopes for Axelson (MS). They both are called 'prodigies' yet have no consistent records to show for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    Don't get too over excited, just look at what too high of expectation the Indian fans bestowed onto SN. I am not convinced until the stats tell me otherwise, there are simply too many prodigies never live up to their potential. There are so many threads in this Forum named The Next King, Rising Star, The next No 1 etc, how many of those predictions actually materialized. Let father time speak.
    I agree that some young players are overhyped too early. however RI is not some junior player who had a first success with the big girls but the reigning world champion and world number 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the noob View Post
    I agree. While I have high hopes for RI, I also have hopes for Axelson (MS). They both are called 'prodigies' yet have no consistent records to show for it.
    well axelson is a talent but you cannot really compare his results with RI who already is a top player while axelson never even made the top20 (despite being nearly 2 years older). of course the mens game is tougher than the womens game but still they are at very different stages of their careers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with RI being the reigning champ. In MS you have two players above the rest (now maybe even a third), LD and LCW. There wasn't a dominating WS player of recent years before RI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RI today is no longer a prodigy, shes the reigning youngest world WS champion ever
    and youngest world junior champion ever with a hattrick of world junior titles - even
    the great LD do not have such credentials at her age!!!
    And with due respect to India, RI is truly a talented and gifted player that comes maybe
    once in a lifetime as her current oustanding achievements shows, whilst SN is merely
    a hardworking grafter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let wait and see who will come out on top when RI meets SN. One world championship doesn't warrant the title of once in a life time since there are too many one time world champions never been seen after the win. Just give RI more time to develop.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let wait and see who will come out on top when RI meets SN. One world championship doesn't warrant the title of once in a life time since there are too many one time world champions never been seen after the win. Just give RI more time to develop.
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/ra...642&t2p1=52748

RI 3-4 SN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    Thanks, I mean the next match.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The record could be deceptive though. E.g. the records between WX and SJH must have been more than 1 year old now. It may mask the speed of improvement a player might have. E.g. when did SJH get her victory and defeat? If her win/loss record improves, this may paint a different picture.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy watching RI's games. She's in same category as TZY, a fast yet deceptive player, except possibly better. The deceptive part is what makes her games interesting to watch, though the same element could contribute to some unforced errors on her part.

Chinese team is strong, I won't worry about them. They've tons of talents to use. E.g. they can have their team-2 players (Men, in particular) to "simulate" any strong competitors they would like to prepare for. If one is not enough, put 2, or 3, into their regular training. Video analysis etc would all be done. Same can't be said of other countries. How many Chinese girls can they prepare for?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the WC this year, everything turned out right for IR - first she avoided playing any CHN player until the final partly thanks to Sindhu who eliminated WYH unexpectedly and WSX who might not be a threat to IR but could be a psychological hurdle (as often happened to LCW). Then in the final, LXR ,as IR admitted, wasn't quite herself as latecomer boldly opined she wasn't so much outplayed by IR as beaten herself (this is a view I was reluctant to express lest I sounded apologetic or a sore loser for her, preferring to let LXR prove herself in future).

At this moment, I would say, among the CHN WS, only LXR and WYH can beat IR whose present strength has surpassed the rest. IR's forte, her specialty, is her skills as exemplified by her amazing wrist-work and footwork, her disguised tricky shots, feints and high degree of deceptiveness, her remarkable retrieving ability, and her capability of suddenly injecting pace where the element of surprise often catches her opponents off-guard ( as her placement smashes which are not powerful but quick enough to create further attacking opportunities).

IMHO, in the DEN Open PSS semifinal, WYH used her brains and adopted the right tactics against IR by reading and anticipating her shots more often than not to get the better of her in the end. But in the final vs Sung JH , it was more WYH's grit determination that prevailed finally for Sung JH isn't as skillful and crafty a player as IR and ,furthermore, WYH was apparently the more tired of the two after the previous grueling encounter with IR. In other words, the WYH - SJH duel was a Battle of Wills in which WYH's grim determination and fighting spirit won the day ultimately.

Between IR and SJH, I'd say CBA is more concerned about IR's abilities as she is harder to predict with her variety of shots and deceptiveness. On the H2H between IR and the CHN WS, I'd give more weight to the recent one year's records as I believe IR is a considerably stronger player now than in her earlier years, still as relaxed and composed yet more focused, sharper, less erratic.

Whilst it's reasonable to say IR is still young at 18 and may reach her prime say 3 years down the road around 21, the same could be said of LXR at 22 (born 24th Jan 1991) now or even of WYH at 25 (born 18th Jan 1988)[think Zhang Ning who won her second Olympic gold at 32]. Who knows who else CHN may have 3 years later to tackle IR, perhaps Suo Di, Yao Xue, Sun Yu , He Bingjiao (now only 16)? Another possible rising star could be the 23-yr-old Liu Xin but I'd reserve my prognostication for the time being until her next couple of tournaments beginning with the China Open PSS next month.

I do admire IR but, objectively speaking, winning one WC is far from being conclusive proof she is the best - I still think LXR and WYH are slightly stronger than her. Besides, the WC is now an annual affair which implies you have to win it a couple of times to be more convincing esp as there have been a few one-time victors who faded away, eg Wang Lin (mainly due to injuries, unfortunately), Zhu Lin, Lu Lan. Just my two cents.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no comparing Saina to Intanon R who has definitely surpassed the former beyond any doubt to become the best WS among the rest of the world.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another point to note is the high possibility of IR who started her international career as a child prodigy at a very young age of 14 may burn out earlier than normal , say before age 25, as often happened to many child prodigies.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the answer to the OP's question has already presented itself - first in the DEN Open '13 last week by Wang Yihan and then yesterday at the French Open even more convincingly by a supposedly lesser CHN WS, Wang Shixian, who employed the right tactics against Intanon R maybe because it's closer or coincides to her own style of play but with an added sting, the smash when required.

Perhaps I should state that it's a remodeled,retooled,transformed version of WSX who bested IR this time to improve her H2H to 5-1. Honestly, I hadn't expected it of WSX but as GC commentated during the opening game that WSX has outclassed IR and she affirmed it by winning the match in two straight sets with comparable skills and deceptiveness.

Of course, it could also be argued by some that one match victory each from WYH and WSX over IR after the WC is not necessarily conclusive yet though most would agree that, overall, the CHN WS are probably more than capable of handling IR. We shall see over the longer term.

Apparently, the CHN coaches have figured out how to deal with IR. Let's see who else in the CHN camp can tackle her too. On the other hand, things are never static, I believe IR will tweak and improve her game as well. However, apart from IR there are a few other non-CHN WS worth watching and we each have our favourite(s); indeed, a more intense and exciting rivalry lies ahead between and among all of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once PB won her match vs MM she will most probably defeat EH and enter the final either vs
    WSX or BYJ and she has a fair chance of winning against both.
    Could it be that the Thais are avoiding playing each other in the WS finals?
    These days China has teach other countries on gamesmanship.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the club that has only one member, it is no longer China against ROW. ROW against THAIS and CHINESE. Don't forget to copy the walk over. Cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2