User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default twisting cross issue

    Hi Everyone,

    I've been stringing for a few years now, but just for my brother and me so not very often. I've maybe strung ~4-5 reels worth of string over 4 years and I occasionally encounter a problem with crosses in the upper shared holes.

    After I weave and pull the cross through a shared grommet, sometimes the crosses would twist. It would twist to the point that the smooth outside coating looks rough.

    Why does this happen?
    How can I prevent it?
    Is it detrimental to the stringjob?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,892
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I run my fingers the length of the remaining string, to straighten out any curls, before threading each cross. I find this especially important with of one of my favourites, BG-85.

    As far as consequences, it is likely that a kinked or gnarly string doesn't have the tensile strength of a straight one.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    905
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Pulling high tension on a twisted string can also break the string.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    I run my fingers the length of the remaining string, to straighten out any curls, before threading each cross. I find this especially important with of one of my favourites, BG-85.

    As far as consequences, it is likely that a kinked or gnarly string doesn't have the tensile strength of a straight one.
    Thanks for the reply fidget. I do that as well, but when this happens, it doesn't seem to matter that I straightened out the string as it starts twisting as it gets pulled through the shared hole.

    I don't think I have ever experienced performance issues with one twisted string, it's just bugging me as a stringer to have this happen

  5. #5
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,479
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Probably while being pulled thru the shared hole, the string is being rotated against the other string.

  6. #6
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    there a only a couple of holes in which this happens. at the shared holes near the top. usually it can be anticipated. when i first starting pulling the string i can already tell the string will twist and the longer the loose string the more twist there will be.

    the way i reduce it is to hold the string on both side of the grommet, apply some tension to the string, and try to undo the twist. sometimes it might take a couple of pulling it back and forth. at the end, it is easy to tell if there is still a twist as the loose loop will be normal and not all wounded up.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    canada,vancouver
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    you can also first pull through the entire string, use your fingers to straighten out the string and then weave through the cross. That way, there is no twisting in the cross after you've weaved it through

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be sure to try them next time this happens.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,275
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobbinbette View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    I've been stringing for a few years now, but just for my brother and me so not very often. I've maybe strung ~4-5 reels worth of string over 4 years and I occasionally encounter a problem with crosses in the upper shared holes.

    After I weave and pull the cross through a shared grommet, sometimes the crosses would twist. It would twist to the point that the smooth outside coating looks rough.

    Why does this happen?
    How can I prevent it?
    Is it detrimental to the stringjob?

    Thanks!
    I often get twists with certain strings - rough ones, most often - when pulling them through shared holes. One sure-fire way I found to get rid of them is as follows:

    a) get the string all the way through the offending grommet, but make sure it hasn't kinked (or it might snap when you tension it),

    b) let go of the loose end, and push as much of the string up/down the racket (away from the other crosses) as you can, it will form a U-shape inside the frame - you will see the twist "jump" out of the loose end as you do it

    c) pull the string hand tight to get the cross straight, then repeat step b).

    Do b) - c) as many times as you need to.

    One way to avoid crosses in the first place is not to keep hold of the loose end of the crosses as you pull it if you use one-weave-ahead, as Fidget said.

  10. #10
    Regular Member wguan126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0ozafo0 View Post
    you can also first pull through the entire string, use your fingers to straighten out the string and then weave through the cross. That way, there is no twisting in the cross after you've weaved it through
    this is what I do. the only drawback is you have to do a couple of hard weaves...
    Last edited by wguan126; 11-06-2013 at 11:16 AM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member wguan126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this also happens to me while I do the top cross thru A10 holes on 76 holes racket.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I applied some candle wax to that twisted string, hold the string straight and pull slowly thru the grommet, problem solved.
    it happens more with ng98 than bg66U

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Another thing that you could do very carefully is to use a awl to enlarge the grommet in question.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •