New Yonex stringing pattern?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by taneepak, Jan 22, 2004.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There is an equipment supplier and stringer in HK who is using a strange stringing pattern, which he claims is a special but improved Yonex method. The pattern is 22 main with 23 cross. The tie off for main strings are at 7 bottom on both sides. 11 bottom hole is skipped. The tie off knot of the cross is at 6 top with the start at 7 top, but the cross tie off is at 6 bottom on the left side (diagonally opposite the cross start tie knot) instead of on the right side, because of the use of 23 cross strings.
    Many coaches and players of all levels seem to like his stringing, believing it plays better. I was impressed with his first stringing job for me.
    Is this 22 x 23 pattern really a Yonex method?

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Way back then, I strung one of my own racket like that, more due to mistake. I felt the racket was a little bit more stiffer than before. As a player lack of strength, i did not like it very much. Therefore, I fixed it back to the 22*22 by clamping the #22 cross, and re-tied the knot.

Also, I know a local stringer doing anothe kinda of 22*23. Instead of start with #7 on top (tie at #6), he starts with #6 and tie at #5.

#2 LazyBuddy, Jan 22, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i see the only difference is the the 11 bottom hole is skipped. ie, there is one unstrung cross string. this is nothing new as we have seen stringers do that. i believe the place you talk about is Emmy?

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Errr... I thought he meant "for main, bottom #11 are skipped"

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh.

in that case, i don't see anything special about this method. i am staring at a racket that i hang in my cube wall, it has exactly the same 22x23 stringing pattern described by taneepak. and it was strung by a local stringer here in the bay area. i didn't feel that the result is any special...

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think either add 1 cross on the top or at the bottom, is to reduce the vibration of the string bed, which increases the duability of the string.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The strings stay straigth better. The question is, did Yonex introduce this pattern? He gave me a copy of a Japanese stringing pattern, written in Japanese, but it shows the orthodox 22 x 22 pattern. I have asked for a copy of the Yonex 22 x 23 pattern instructions, but he has so far not given it to me.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The 11 hole is skipped for the main but not the cross, so there is no unstrung cross string. Who is Emmy?

9. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I really don't see any thing special in this 22x23 pattern. I do all my stringings in 22x23, 4 knots method similar to this.

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Standard stringing on Carltons is 22main x 23cross (well, on all the ones I've got anyway). They're oval head though. Don't know where they start and finish though (until I go home).

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

But this 22 x 23 stringing pattern I am talking about doesn't follow the orthodox last main string coming out at 12 bottom and tie-off knock at 6 or 7 bottom.

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, when I string, I tie the knots whereever I can find a hole. (so every racket is different :p), but most likely to find the closest one.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Its not the place where you tie the last main string knot that is unusual, but the position of the hole where the last main string finishes. It is like stringing the main strings in the middle first, then stringing the extreme sides, leaving empty spaces between the main strings in the middle and the extreme side main strings, and then finally finishing off the remaing main strings in between to fill the empty spaces. In other words, the main strings are not strung sequentially from hole 1, hole 2, hole 3, etc. from start to finish, but in a pattern that is sequential first, then it jumps a few holes, and then back to a sequential finish, but this time in reverse!
    One advantage of this pattern is the strings stay really straight. I also think it plays better, maybe even better than Luxis Mr Ng's technique, which I did try out.

14. mr personality

mr personality Regular Member

blows
    you should never have regrets, only lifelong appre
    i have mine strung that way. just counted the string to reconfirm and it definitely is 22 downwards & 23 sidewards, leaving the 3rd last from bottom open. actually the guy asked me if i wanted to be strung that way and he showed me one rac he did such stringing. i thought why not, i'll try this out since my other racs are 23 by 23. i feel it's better than it was before. but hey, i'm not sure if it's psychological or something cos the previous string i had on this mp 100 is 22 lbs, that is why i hated it. but for facts, less shuttlecocks hitting the top of the net which is why i love it now, more than anything.

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The string bed should be tighter with 22 & 23 or 22 & 24.

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    That's not true. My stringer does that too but the middle main & cross strings keep on shifting around.

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    If one really want a string bed that doesn't shift after each hit with a shuttlecock, the drill pattern of the grommet holes can't be in a parallel line. The zig-zag grommet hole pattern is suppose to completely eliminate string shifting.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Mine doesn't shift, except when I do sliced drops which decelarate more than usual. I also find the sliced drops somehow eat up your strings at quite an alarming rate, probably due to the friction from cork and feathers staying on the strings a little longer (increased dwell time in tennis jargon).

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I just received an email from Yonex Japan, and they informed me that my MP99 and AT 700 should not follow the 22m/23c stringing pattern, but should adopt the 22m/22c pattern for these two racquets. Other than this, the rest is exactly the same as what the weird stringer friend of mine does. All my racquets are 22m/23c.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    you have to understand that yonex recommendation (22m/22c) only applies to yonex stringing precedure on those rackets