BIOS update gave me trouble

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bluejeff, Jan 22, 2004.

1. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I just updated the newest BIOS for my IBM T30 laptop tonight, and it just gave me a huge trouble!!

The problem is, now, my 2nd row of RAM will not be detected (I have 2 sticks of RAM, 256 each, so the total is 512MB). Soon after I have done the BIOS update, I went to BIOS and took a look, and it shows that I have "256" MB RAM installed, which is very wrong.

So, I did some tests with my 2 sticks of RAM, and both of them would work at the 1st row of slot, but not the 2nd slot. So, I assume the new BIOS did something to the 2nd memory slot.....

Then, I did downgrade my BIOS to the old one I had before.....but it's the same.....and not detecting the other 256MB RAM.

I have been using this laptop happily with my 2 sticks of RAM (256x2) without any problem for a year, but this new BIOS update just screw up the laptop!
    (Yes, it will run, but it can just detect the 1st slot of RAM)

I wonder what I should do now?:confused:

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Rule #1 of bios updating: don't update your bios.

sorry can't help you any more

3. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

It may not necessarily be the bios upgrade, especially if you had down-graded to the previous version and it still failed.

-you should make sure the 2nd slot is clean of any debris (canned air can sometimes help)

-look at the ram, make sure the metalic edges are clean, sometimes using a pencil eraser can remove debris

-try again, when you seat the ram, make sure it is firmly in place

-look at the pins where the ram sits in, does any of the wires look mis-aligned? if yes, DO NOT TRY TO FIX-IT YOURSELF! take it to a authorized/reputable dealer.

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    BIOS update is actually quite risky. VERY risky in fact. Get it wrong once and that's it, you're board gets retired earlier.

Not all BIOS updates are required unless you need to do it - support new hardware etc. Else if it works just fine, then just forget about it.

I do remember that the manufacturer can help wipe out the BIOS for you and copy a working version into it, though I never tried yet.

BRL's rule is most correct. Don't tamper with your BIOS.

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I called IBM the other day, and they said they will fix it for free (since it's under warranty:))

So, I hope they can do something about it........or hopefully they would give me a new one \:)/

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Although it is quite risky, I've done it numerous times without any troubles, ever. Usually, motherboards have an option where you just press like alt+f2 and it goes from there..

If you're that cautious, get yourself a bios saviour, good $20 investment.

Before Gigbyte had a motherboard that had a double bios, dunno why they ditched that idea!

7. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

No they haven't, as far as I know, all gigabyte boards still have dual bios, or maybe it's just the high end ones. I even bought one last month ...