Stomping or making loud noises

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Steve the noob, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

I was playing last night, and some guy I was facing stomped his foot really loudly every time he lunged or screamed every-time he smashed. I asked his politely to stop, he said he could stop creaming on smashes, but can't control his weight on lunges. I thought this was a complete lie since he was a stick, shorter than me, and made much louder noises.

Point is, this was distracting, and aided him in deceptive net shots and etc. Is this allowed? Or could I have called some sort of ruling?

2. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

For screaming while smashing, it is a common tactic used even at the pro level. It can also be legally used for tactical purposes (screaming and faking a smash while going for a drop). (I am assuming he is screaming like the pros do when smashing, and not screaming random words or what not, so I don't mean that ALL screaming is allowed). As for stomping on lunges, it's hard for me to imagine right now as to how loud or how he's doing it so I can't comment on that.

3. Steve the noob

We were playing on wooden gym floors. So it vibrates and echoes a bit.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

It's very obvious what your tactics should be if you want a quiet game with him...

no lifts for him to smash

and no drops for him to lunge...

:p :p :p

5. Steve the noob

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You can do whatever you want as long as it's your shot you're doing it on.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Not completely true... the one waiting for the shot to come can still call a distraction. Eg lunging foot crossing under the net distracting and interfering. ;)

8. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Well, as long as he's not shouting something like "hereyoulittlebastardyoucantgetthatone" during his smash or screaming like a slaughtered pig, it's ok. there's nothing you can do against "normal" screams like "ahhh", "ooh".
    and being distracted by loud lunging is ridiculous (imho...).

9. Steve the noob

Slams foot on the ground to fake shots, is.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Wellz... as long as he doesn't yell and fake smash drop. ;)

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I'm not sure if the person who started the thread was being serious with the questions asked...

12. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think loud noises on lunges is more a sign of a immature technique or a "very under pressure" lunge.
    My brother is doing the same - his lunges are really loud. But in his case, it's because his footwork isn't smooth in any way. He is more stomping like an elefant (but he isn't fat) :D
    Maybe your opponent wasn't the best player?
    I only spectated loud lunges on Pro level e.g. after a smash and a very good/short smash return, when the smash-player only reached the shuttle in the very last millisecond to lift it high.

13. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    here is a good chance to learn to read your opponent's shots very quickly. you just got to find a way to "ignore" the noises.

the stomping noise is going to be hard to delete if that is really his game or even habit. the shouting noise after every shot is sorta annoying, but i've seen it done with the pros as well as with amateurs. it's more annoying with the amateurs because they are less consistent. the pros use it as a deception tactic.

if you really wanted a quiet game, get some ear plugs, done! :) i think both noises are allow to a certain extend and up to the umpire's discretion of whether it's distracting.

14. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    i play with teammates that occasionally screams when making a smash, and some that does stomp pretty loud during shots. But its ok, its just their way of play. And for myself, i stomp only when i do very difficult baseline backhand clear or backhand smash.

15. Firefly

Firefly Regular Member

hmmmm ... this is a tough question i think! If he does it willfully to irritate you its a fault by gamesmanship, but who will rule over that? What i'd like to say is: Who will PROVE it that he does it with porpose to irritate you? When you tell the story i thought this guy should better go to hollywood instead on a badminton court :D:D:D what a crank person :mad: he hasen't understood the sense of sport i think! To respect every opponent and to honor him by allways telling the truth and giving all your best in every second of the game, so you can find out who's the REAL winner ... ;)

16. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    something like table manners. some can eat quietly, some eats loudly

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Similarly to another 3 letter word that will be censored by the forum software. :p

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Actually, this is a recognised technique to disguise a shot. You need to learn to recognise it and cope with it in a game. It certainly is not an overt distraction that would be called by a qualified umpire.