Muscle tape questions

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by termisai, Oct 27, 2013.

1. termisai

termisai Regular Member

Jobhunter :D
    How do we apply muscle tape in the arm, and in the knee? I'm really confused, plus, what brand do you recommend? Where can we possibly buy affordable/reliable ones on the net? Thanks!

2. emidyl

emidyl Regular Member

I just followed the youtube vids from the brand I bought.
    Think they all work on the same principle. I tried the skinetex brand and they have a bunch of
    instr vids

3. termisai

termisai Regular Member

Thanks!! The thing is, I have a support for my knee, but I tend to forget to bring it sometimes when I play, and my knees just hurt a lot..

4. emidyl

emidyl Regular Member

what is the knee support for? I ask because the tape might not be what you are looking for it to accomplish.

braces tend to be restriction of certain motions to aid in healing ie ligaments/tendons.

5. termisai

termisai Regular Member

I have osgood-schlatter's disease.. I use a support for my patella.. I know I'm sounding too uneducated about this, but can you enlighten me on what muscle tapes are for? I thought I could use them in lieu of knee supports... I'm sorry :(

6. emidyl

emidyl Regular Member

hmm, from what it "says" on the KT site: I might be wrong and you can try to see if it alleviates your condition. I provided a couple YT links if that's ok with admin. Otherwise Ic an PM them.

KT TAPE is applied along muscles, ligaments, and tendons (soft tissue) to provide a lightweight, external support that helps you remain active while recovering from injuries. KT Tape creates neuromuscular feedback (called proprioception) that inhibits (relaxes) or facilitates stronger firing of muscles and tendons. This feedback creates support elements without the bulk and restriction commonly associated with wraps and heavy bracing. KT Tape gives you confidence to perform your best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsFL1du4KCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MS31JUJ7Xc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJvhNMbammk

give it a try and let us know if it works for ya.

7. termisai

termisai Regular Member

That's quite interesting.. Now all I'd have to do is search for a store who sells this KT Tape.. Thank you so much, Emidyl. I really appreciate it!! Thanks! :)

8. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

I'm using Acti-tape,ordered from betterlife.com.Still experimenting and evaluating it.Good news is,it helps a lot with my Carpel Tunnel Syndrom.It's lighter than elastic bandages,low-profile,easier to apply on your wrist.I felt much much better even for just one application.Now,I use it with muscle rubs.I don't know much about side effects and results from long term use,I think it cannot replace the regular elastic bandages for the regular bandages are thicker,cheaper and giving more support to joints.Kinesio tape certainly help a lot where the bandages are not easy to apply on,such as shoulders and backs.Not bad stuff for your first aid bag tho.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the claim by these kinesiology tape is certainly quite unbelievable. almost too good. tape it and it will heal / feel better. and given how many athletes are using it seems to support it. the marketing message is certainly strong.

i have tried it for a couple of issues. a lower back pain, which didn't come from badminton. following the instructions on KT tape, i didn't find it helping much.

another issue is a IT band issue, which shows up when i do running. that seems to be lowering the symptoms, meaning i can run longer with less pain. but didn't make it go away.

the tapes aren't too expensive, nor cheap. so the experimental cost isn't too high. certainly something that can be tried without breaking the bank.

10. Cheetah

Cheetah Regular Member

Student
    We shouldn't expect the tape to heal us. I do taping regularly with me and with my teammates and friends. I used to have patella tendonitis, aka runner's knee, probably the most common injury in badminton. what I did was searching for the injury and then youtube it... there's so many videos that explain to you awesomely well how to apply it and stuff.

but for example, you do watch badminton videos don't you... and depending on your pain you often see how the tape is applied on pro-level. therefore you get a good impression on how to apply these...

and if you try out new techniques... go ahead... I mean better apply too much tape than too less