Do You Toss/Spin Your Racquet Between Rallies?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Break-My-String, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

In between rallies, do you do anything strange/funny with your racquet?

I myself, toss my racq on the vertical plane (head also vertical) 360 degrees and catch it by the handle when I miss an easy shot.

The more of an easy shot I missed, the more I spin the racq another 360 degrees within the same toss (yes, I had shots where I was spinning my racq 3 revolutions, I don't remember if I ever tried four... ).

Other times, I occassionally spin the handle counter-clockwise just before I serve (I hope this is not a service fault :D :D :D )

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I've seen Daryl Yung spin his racket around the balance point, like a frisbee continuously on his index finger, while waiting for his students to finish warming up before starting his coaching.

-dave

3. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i know a person that does exactly what you do. In fact, I think he does it in between every rally. I remember one time my friend and i were just joking around and saying we'd bet on him to do it again, surprisingly enough, he didn't do it that one time.

i myself don't toss the racket, and i don't think i'd start cause i'd get worried about dropping my 'precious':D :p .

4. Swordfish712

Swordfish712 Regular Member

Student
    I do the same thing as Break-My-String...

I also like to curl my fingers loosely around the shaft of the racquet, and just toss the racquet up a little and let it roll down to the fingers again. The racquet rolls faster and faster everytime I toss it but yeah... It doesn't look very impressive, but it's just something I do.

And there's another thing I just started doing. I consider myself to be pretty good at pencil-spinning (haha), and I implement the moves into a badminton racquet. I spin the racquet around all my fingers and I can do a move where I spin and leave it the racquet on my palm. The racquet continues to spin and I just hold my palm up. It looks pretty good but I can only keep it up for I few seconds.

5. blahz

blahz Regular Member

Student, in need of a job, anyone hiring? =P
    I play at school and I've noticed some guys always threw their racket into the air, but didn't catch it by the handle, but by the head for some reason =S I didn't understand why, and I still don't lol....I think I should go ask them....as for me I really don't know why lol, I spin the handle then I make a full 360 spin like a sword on my side then hold my racket up for the ready position

6. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

i spin the head all the time as do most people I know... actually tossing the racquet up into the air is a pretty rare.

7. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

well i erm... like to make the string sound ... the de dang dang dang.... sound.

8. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    I usually swear at my partner ahem*wwcbro*ahem when he misses shots, even if is an ultra incridibly difficult shot I still swear at him for missing. And sometimes when my opponent makes a super good shot or good reply and I can't get it, I throw my racquet at him.

9. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Are you playing any song in particular?! :D

Maybe we can try playing "name that tune" in the key of 26lbs! ;) :) :D :D :D

10. blahz

blahz Regular Member

Student, in need of a job, anyone hiring? =P
    lol SmashingBird...I should have tried throwing my racket at my partner before he left for university:p

11. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I sometimes spin the racquet on the tip of a finger like some people can do with a basketball. The racquet is oriented vertically, i.e. head up, handle down

12. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

i twist the racket round in my hand to get a comfy grip

13. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I only twist and rotate the racquet around, won't ever toss it. Break it and my wallet will burst into flames. ;)

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yeah, I do that too... I try to equalise wear and tear on both sides rather than wearing out just one side of the grip:D. It's also a way for me to get ready and shift my grip to choke the handle when preparing to receive.

15. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I usually hold the end of the grip (Very bottom), with like "two fingers.." Middle and thumb and I swing my racquet like a pendelum! That's what I do when I walk around the court, getting into position etc.

I rarely toss my racquet, usually it's for fun, not a habit like my pendelum thing!

16. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

spinning,tossing,swinging....

.....kid's stuff.
    I usually grapped my partner's (smashingbird) and toss him at our opponents, hoping to bowl them over...like ten pins!!!:D :D :D LOL

17. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    hey wwcbro/smashingbird .... I'd like to come down to join you guys for a session. Is that possible? Or is it a private club?

-dave

18. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Dave,
    Drop-ins are welcome. Check the http://www3.telus.net/K-SIS/RBC for details of times and location.

I believe that it's Tues/Thurs that wwbro/Smashingbird plays, right?

19. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    Cool deal! Thanks WWC ... won't be able to make this Sunday, but will check it out Tue night. Is there space available normally, or does it get crowded?

-dave

20. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Off topic here but drop-ins at the Richmond Badminton Club is first come, first served and there is a limit of 22 players (total) so if 22 members shows up, the drop-ins will be asked to sit until a member leave (some members only play for the first hour or so). Drop-ins are asked to sit based on the order that they signed up (last one signed up get to sit first). Drop-in fee is $7.00 and feather shuttles (both Victor and Winex) are provided. Rules is one new shuttle per game and you then get as many "seconds" (read slightly used) shuttles to finish up your game. If there are no "seconds", then you are allow to take a new shuttle.