APACS VIRTUOSO 50 vs FEATHER WEIGHT 200/100 - please help, need to decide soon!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by drmchsraj, Oct 29, 2013.

1. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Alright, long story short: I've been losing sleep over this decision that's been bugging me for a while. I wanted to try a new brand and my choices were Arbi Flypower, APACS, Head...but I think I'm going to try one of the above two this time. Both Virtuoso 50 & Feather Weight 100/200 fit in my range (~USD $50-60).

Regardless of my stats (amateur, MS+MD, more of a defensive player, intended style is move towards aggressive play), please post your own reviews, as much info you may know or have gathered yourself, and which model you'd go for/why.

================================
    Here's the stats I could gather online:

http://www.apacssports.com/product_enlarge.asp?pid=585
    VIRTUOSO 50
    Frame Material: 30T Japan High Modulus Graphite
    Shaft Material: 30T Japan High Modulus Graphite
    Frame Type: High Speed Muscle
    Weight: 77+1 g (6U)
    Flex: 8.5 (Medium)
    BCP: 305+5 mm (Head Heavy)
    Grommet System: 72 Holes,
    Shaft Diameter: 7.2 mm
    Grip: G1 (G5)
    Length: 672 mm
    Max Tension: 35 lbs

http://www.apacssports.com/product_enlarge.asp?pid=20 and http://www.apacssports.com/product_enlarge.asp?pid=19
    FEATHER WEIGHT 200/100 (values in brackets are Featherweight 100)

Frame Material: 30T Japan High Modulus Graphite + Carbon Nano Tubes
    Shaft Material: 30T Japan High Modulus Graphite (24T for FW100)
    Frame Type: High Speed
    Grommet System: 76 Holes
    Shaft Diameter: 7.0 mm
    Weight: 68-70 g (7U) (FW100: 75-776 - 6U )
    BCP: 298+3 mm (Head Heavy) (290+3mm - Slightly Head Heavy)
    Flex: 9.0+3 (Medium Flex) (8.5+3 - Medium Flex)
    Grip: G2 (G4)
    Length: 670 mm
    Max Tension: 30 lbs (FW100 - 33lbs)
    ================================

I stopped by the store from work, they were unavailable for demo but I held both dry (unstrung) rackets and swung them around, and I can't make out much of a difference except in weight and that the FW200 feels 'delicate'. My basic Qs are:
    a) can you say which frame/shaft's more durable or handle occasional rough use?
    b) Which type of play are each of the models more suitable for?
    c) Which would give more feel?
    d) what would be the ideal stringing tension be for each, in your opinion?

Please feel free to share anything else you may think is relevant...I've learnt a lot from the great folks here! The more I know, and the faster I hear from y'all, the more peaceful I can be! Thanks a bunch! :)

2. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

ps: Is the Virtuoso 50 like, a really old model or something? I'm puzzled I couldn't find much info or reviews anywhere online... :(

So your inputs would really help..thank you once again!

3. Magicmeatbag

Magicmeatbag Regular Member

Landscaping
    Personally I'd move towards the Featherweight 300. Same thing as the virtuoso 50 stats wise but better materials. Sadly it costs more :( Try looking at the Slayer 660 as well. It also is very light and it got a good review at badmintonbay.

I've spent the entire morning looking up potentially good doubles rackets so I know the feeling lol.

4. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

ah, lol thank u! shopping for a new racket is tougher than buying anything else..everything looks so similar and there's a wide range to choose from.. who said choice is a good thing? lol jk. im glad this place exists so we can go ahead with the least buyer's remorse!
    shall look @ the Slayer 660 stats and see what i can make of it :)

5. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

6. Magicmeatbag

Magicmeatbag Regular Member

Landscaping
    Shaft on the slayer 660 says its medium 9.0 so it's not that bad according to their specs. Same stiffness and stats as the featherweight 200 just heavier.

Let me know what you get and how it works out!

7. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

oh yes, i believe 9.5 is the max rating (full flexibility) on their scale, so between 8.5-9 isnt bad i guess. the dealer said he's gonna get better models in a week so my decision is postponed until then...
    arrrgh! just. can't. wait.

8. danbaohaochi

danbaohaochi New Member

I've spent the entire morning looking up potentially good doubles rackets so I know the feeling[​IMG]

9. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Mine is a little bit different , i spent a couple days deciding between NR750 and BS12 ........... I know how that feels too :(

10. Mittengal

Mittengal Regular Member

I've never tried the Virtuoso, but I've played with both of the Featherweights before, just to give them a try.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't recommend them. They're just SO light, I found that it was almost impossible for me to do anything with them. Now, I'm a small girl without much strength, so if you're stronger than me, you may have better results. If you actually want to be able to hit strong shots, though, I would probably steer clear of the Featherweights.

11. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

yep, harder than choosing ONE girl from among a dozen hot models willing to go out with us lol jk!
    I think both NR750/BS12 are good, solid bats that have very few negatives.
    So, have you guys had any luck deciding yet :)?
    [MENTION=113846]Mittengal[/MENTION]: welcome, and thanks for the inputs! This sure helps..the store guy kept raving about them and I thought they would be a cut apart, but I've had a feeling they were too lightweight and flexbi that we can only use them for a limited set of shots, and rarely in a game can you count on them and wait for that to happen!! I almost try not to bring too much power into my shots and love to win on technique, placements, rallies and precision alone, but I realized I'd be digging my own grave if I continue with that, and I'm facing better skilled players of late so I've to have what they have: power and aggressiveness!

Can I ask what made you try them out in the first place? If i were to venture a guess, i'd say you they may have thought the low weight factor = fast swing/easy movement advantage for girls who can't handle heavier ones.. or was it something else?
    Do you use any other apacs models? what're you satisfied with finally? :)

12. Mittengal

Mittengal Regular Member

[MENTION=47084]drmchsraj[/MENTION], Alright, so apacs offered me a sponshorship about two years back. I tried several of their rackets, the featherweights included. Your guess was correct, I did try them because I was weak and thought that it would give me an advantage. I tried them out for a day, before realizing that I really couldn't do anything with them at all. I ended up settling for the Slayer 95. It's still rather light, but heavy enough that you can put some power behind your swing. If you're looking for something light and apacs, I would go for that, though it may still be a bit too light- that's why I'm switching. It's also good for a touch game. I terminated the sponsorship recently so I could use Yonex. I just found that I prefer yonex over apacs, sponsor or not. Still can't quite decide on a new racket, though!

Hope that helped :)

13. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Ah, I see. it may take you a while but there're plenty of good rackets out there suiting everyone's level and intended playstyles. i'm sure you'll find something that agrees with you and improves your game... lots of experts in here that can guide you in the right direction
    ! :)

14. yeahehehehe

Prior to Dinkalot's review , Lethal 50 . He gave it an Excellent+ rating

15. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

I got a printout of that...could be a stupid question, but that was a few years ago...are the newer bats any different?

16. yeahehehehe

Sorry but im not a real fan of apacs, though i hear their rackets are good.Havent seen any of these.prbably bcause i live in ph. Well, new isnt always better they say...

17. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I've used the APACS Virtuoso, my brother and I have both tired and found that the racket isn't that good, I normally use Yonex but I tried it out for a warm up, during the warm up, when I was clearing with it, my shots were going mid-court most of the time, normally with the racket I normally use, I'll be able to hit clears to the back but no matter how much power I used to clear the shot it would go mid-court and even when I was lifting, The shuttle could quite get to the back of the court and be killed with a smash.

The racket reminds me of an Arcsaber FB but I don't think that the Virtuoso is that good to use.

18. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

would this be the Virtuoso 50 you're talking about? and your string tension was the usual?

19. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Yea it is, the string tension was the same

20. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

*bump* (and updated for those subscribed to or following this thread.... )
    I've eliminated Virtuoso (the 50) from the shortlist, as it feels a lil soft and too flexy for me. maybe some time in the future. Not even going to try the FW series at this point!
    Currently fixated on the AVP, Lethal 12, Finapi 8. Any recommendations? Thanks! :)