The effect of overall weight?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by dominikk1985, Oct 29, 2013.

1. dominikk1985

dominikk1985 Regular Member

clinical science
    Why are some players using heavy rackets (like 2-3 U)? isn't what matters most for power head weight/head heavyness? wouldn't it make more sense to use a super light racket (say 5U) but with a very heavy head to get the same power or swingweight but spend less energy on moving the racket?

why are some players using heavier rackets instead of more head heavy rackets?

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

it's all a question of style and preferences...;-)

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I don't think the materials they have could cope with it yet?
    I personally would love to try a 6u, 320+mm balance point racket.

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    ^i agree that they might not have found the right material to make it really light and really head heavy at the same time, without the head snapping right off if someone whips the racket.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    As above, but another important factor is probably cost. You can probably make such a racquet out of very thin graphene for instance, but it would be too expensive for your average consumer. Plus you may question whether it would be durable enough in a clash or give the right feel for badminton.

6. dominikk1985

clinical science
    wouldn't a head heavy racket be more durable? they usually break in the head and not at the shaft, right?

so a more massive head and thinner/lighter shaft and grip should help in theory.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Usually yes but a 320+mmBP 6u racket is not a usual racket.

I have seen for example WWK snap an Addidas racket at the shaft with nowhere near as extreme a measurements.

The theory of thinner/lighter shafts is nice but what material is strong enough to go thinner and lighter along with handling extreme high BP points to simulate a e.g Zforce swing weight?(would have to be affordable obviously, end product under£200)
    I am assuming the manufacturers have not solved it yet.

Anybody know what the lightest >319mm Bp racket on the market currently weighs?

#7 craigandy, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  8. visor

visor Regular Member

^ 4U VTZF, I had one with bp 316mm, dry wt 82.3g, head wt 38.5g

9. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Try checking out a Gosen Mirapro 700/800, bp is around 31+. Not sure abt dry weight but holding it in the store feels like a THOR's hammer (very light handle, carbon). Anyone w/ a Mirapro to confirm on this?

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I take it that a 4u at 316mm would have a lower swing weight than a 3u at 316mm so for a 6u to have any resemblance I am thinking 330mm+ BP for a 74grams Racket? Anything even close to that?

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Read:
    Gosen mirapro 700 only 285mm-290
    gosen mirapro 800 only 290-295mm
    http://www.playgroundonline.com/products/Gosen+Mirapro+700+Unstrung+Badminton+Racquet/10865.aspx
    http://www.playgroundonline.com/products/Gosen-Mirapro-800-Badminton-Racquet/10864.aspx

and quite heavy at 84g:D

12. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

That is not the actual b/p, its only in written specs. I balanced it on my finger n measured using the floor tile of the store n i know its abt 31-32cm. I owned n tried over 20 rackets for the past 3 years n have yet felt anything so head heavy, xcept maybe Zforce. But this one is very lopsided head-heaviness because of its 'carbon' handle (I believe its just plastic, albeit good plastic)

13. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

I believe Wilson also have an lightweight racket (with the handle made from carbon fiber or something) and a head heavy balance.

14. dominikk1985

clinical science
    so is it purely a technical issue?

would pros play super light, super head heavy rackets if they where available? aren't most pros using 2-3U rackets?

15. surajaya

surajaya Regular Member

Without the grip probably yes, but due to their carbon handle it need several layer of overgrip to reach G5 size.

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If you would use a very head heavy and superlight racket let's say a 75 g overall weight and a head weight of 36 g, you wouldn't get an advantage. If you swing the racket you must accelarate the headweight, which would be the same mass of a head slightly headheavy to even balance 4U. You mostly decrease the mass in the handle, lower shaft and cone, so it wouldn't give you much more speed.
    You should know that a superlight and headheavy racket distribute the mass different and the mass at the head area is significant lower due the relation between head weight and overall weight. Such a combination will not give you a big punch on your smash with a really good defence. If you want to get something, you will lost something at same time.
    I think most singles pro's use a 3U or maybe 2U racket. Most doubles players a 3U or 4U racket.

17. |_Footwork_|

most pros use whatever their sponsor tells them to use...;-)
    i think carsten mogensen regularly switches from flash boost to voltric zf, 2 rackets that couldn't be further apart.

lesson learned: don't bother too much about the racket. better invest the time (and money) into training and coaching to foster your skills.

it won't make you a better player if your racket is 2g lighter or heavier or if the balance point is 2mm further to this or that side.

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah but lets say you currently use a 3u voltric 80, and they simulate the same swing weight with a 74g 6u racket Whatever that head weight BP would have to be. Surely with all the same feel except overall weight would make the 6u more beneficial to use.

19. |_Footwork_|

there are 2 options:
    1. it has the same feel. then it feels the same, therefore there's no difference...
    2. it feels different. you might like it or not and therefore use the new racket or prefer the VT80 3u...

20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I am thinking 3. both- It has the same feel to swing but not to hold(lighter to hold). therefore difference.

Might be a small difference but the difference is that you don't have to carry 15g extra for no reason. Holding a racket that light but same swing weight I reckon would give you more confidence. Might be totally wrong nobody knows untill something even close is manufactured.