How far can I go ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by M3Series, Oct 29, 2013.

1. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Hello everyone.

In Malaysia, how far can a 25 yrs old chap can go in badminton field? In terms of skills, I'm currently at intermediate-advance level.

I've always love badminton since my early childhood but never get a chance to play due to many reasons. Luckily I started to play 2 years ago and decided to keep on improving until I can consider myself good enough to join a closed tournament. And after a countless time of joining closed tournament since early this year ( won few of it due to no current or ex representatives joined ), I've decided to make a bigger goal in badminton.

Now here's where I couldn't see where can i go before I hit my 30's. In Msia, it's very competitive even a small open tournament in local area, all kinds of representative will start to participate. At one time I could barely made myself in semi-final when I was on my form. Never won any opens yet. That's by far is the furthest I could make.

Now I realize that I would never made it as pro, but all I ask is where can i go next ? I was hoping to see if anyone can point out what are the options for an enthusiast like me can do in badminton. How can I be a full-time for badminton ? Financial might be an issue if I just stop my office hour and be a coach. Can I BE a coach ? Is the program in BAM suitable for.me ? I never had any background in badminton field. So I've no idea about coaching at all.

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

you're 25 years of age, have reached nothing yet in badminton in malaysia and want to make a living with badminton?

i seriously recomend you: FORGET IT!

3. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Noted with thanks

4. SyamzariVoltric

SyamzariVoltric Regular Member

Optometrist
    Just being an amature player bro. . Just like me,. . :cool:. . it would be more enjoy if u join a group, form a team, practice wt your teammates. . finds other teams,, and get friendly match wt them... .;)

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Don't get me wrong: No offence intended!

But Badminton in Malaysia is a VERY competitive environment where there are probably hundreds of 16-year-olds that are above your level.
    I'm sure you are a good player and can become a very good player because you seem very motivated.
    But taking into account that there are hundreds of talented young players that direct all their life to badminton from very young ages on, it's just a gap you can't close when you're 25.

Stick to badminton as a hobby, become as good as you can. Maybe you can make some money part time some day by teaching badminton, but I wouldn't recommend to try to make badminton your prime source of income...

6. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Like I said, I can't see how far can i go next. I just need a goal. Welcome back to earth, myself. Guess hobby makes more sense

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How far can you go is limited by your perspective. Look around you.

At first, it is as a player. Do you think you want to do more? Do you have a good grasp of the fundamentals of technique?

If you want to know more about coaching, going on a course is very helpful. I would advise thinking of it as a hobby rather than full time. Then see how it goes.

Other people like to run social clubs, competitive teams, organise tournaments, setup clubs, build courts etc. You don't have to be young to do that and being older doesn't prevent anything.

If interested, you can do an umpiring qualification. Again, do it first for general knowledge and your interest.

If you want to get involved full time, try the national association or even BWF. You would need to add to your CV with some badminton admin experience!

8. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Definitely gonna start this soon ! Thanks Cheung !

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Get a stringing machine and earn some money! :)

Also if you're physics and biomechanics inclined, one area that is sorely lacking now in badminton, that's in other sports like tennis and golf, is individualized equipment customization.

Instead of the player searching and buying thru 20-30 rackets (like me :p) to find the best fitting racket for his style, you can just provide a paid service to analyze and customize or recommend certain specs ( ie wt, head wt, bp, stiffness, etc) based on his needs, wants, swing style, games etc. ;)

#9 visor, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013