MP100, MP77 and AT700 users....what is ur opinion???

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Fusion_M8, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    Was looking to buy another racket to join my MP99. My type of game is biased towards the attacking, aggressive power player together with accurate shot placement. When I smash, I tend to use my whole arm and throw my body weight forward into the smash, thus I prefer stiffer racquets.

Very interested in MP100, AT700 or MP77 because they are "long" racquets. That extra length, to my discovery, increases the power of the shot given the same amount of effort.

My 2 questions are:

1. Obviously I would prefer to spend as little money as possible, thus I'm wondering
    if MP100 and AT700 while good in their own right, are worth all that money over
    MP77, assuming all else being constant?

2. Does anyone who uses the AT700 agree with Cooler's research findings in the
    sticky on the Forum page "2003 Yonex rackets measurements" that the AT700 is
    not as stiff as the MP77, MP99 or MP100???

Thanks in advance guys!

:D

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i say you should get another MP99. usually ppl have two identical rackets instead of a mix-n-match of different ones.

if one breaks, you can switch into a identical replacemnt in the middle of the game. you need no adjustment time between different rackets.

so i recommend you get another MP99 unless if there is something you don't like about it.

3. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    Just wanted to have a little variety, I feel that the MP99 is a great all round racket, but I wanted something a little stiffer with more smashing power given the same effort used.

:)

4. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator

Agree with Cooler here. I find AT700 nowhere near as stiff as MP100, Ti-10 or Cab22. I no longer own a AT700 but I did have it for 2 months. Didn't mind the racket but also didn't liked it that much either.

Kwun's correct in getting another MP99. I fell for the "variety is spice of life" mentality and now I have so many rackets that all plays differently, even when strung to same tension, same string by same stringer (me!:D) Sure the positive of such ownership is having a broader knowledge of all rackets but one day you will sit down and think "man, I wasted so much money....:( "

Right now, I'm using MP100,90 and 77. Then after awhile I switch back to Cabs. Then MPs. So my games are pretty inconsistent during the transfer phase. Poor Ti-10 sits there and collect dust. Probably will sell it after a few years to some collector.

5. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    AYL: Would you consider the MP77 to be as good a smashing weapon as the MP100? If you had to choose between paying AUD$150 for the MP77 or AUD$235 for the MP100, which one will you choose as the better "smashing" racquet for the money???

:D

6. ayl

ayl Regular Member

For me, MP100 is more powerful but harder to generate big smashes than MP77. We're however talking very little difference here in terms of outright power.

MP77 on the other hand is easier to live with, especially if you are already used to MP99, and can be used to produce more continueous powerful smashes than MP100, as it is more user friendly. However MP77 has much poorer control than MP100.

If you are going to avoid playing at the net and stand back and whack flat drives, deep clears or smashing a hole thru the net, MP77 is hard to beat.

Defensively speaking the MP77 is slow, but if you do make contact it'll probably send the shuttle flying. Bit like holding a sledgehammer and trying to move it around.

Good luck finding MP100AS. Plenty of MP77 about though and they are all going cheap.

#6 ayl, Jan 26, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    One thing to notice, is many players consider MP77 as a "slow" racket. It's harder to be used in double, and relatively hard in recovering to defense. I think it has something to do with the combo of stiffness and headheaviness.

Personally, i don't own any MPs, but lucky enough to demo them all. And I agree with the idea above.

8. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Bingo to Lazybuddy! :)

9. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    IMHO, before you make any decision, you need to ask yourself, what do you want to see in a racket? I have tried the MPs but not the AT700, but i heard the AT700 is by far the head heaviest among the 3 you mentioned.

in terms of control and stability, mp100 is hard to beat. so even if you hit the shuttle off center, it will still be there to generate power and give you the control you need.

But if you want just brute power, mp77 is ultimate! BAM! overall, i find the mp77 is a more forgiving raket, as the power compensates for the control, especially in doubles... when in trouble, you can just use the power of it and hit the shuttle as far and as high as you can.

In my racket bag, i have 2 mp100 and 2 mp77, so depending on my mood, i will use them, but my main racket is still mp100... After a while, you dont need as much power. you need more placement and control =)

just my 2 cents

10. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, since you mention the price, then I would say:

get a MP77 if the price is the major concern, its power is very enough to do smashes
    get a MP100 if the budge is allowed, its power IMO is equal to MP77, but the feelings is better.

Personally, I like them both in 3U only. 2U......would be too heavy and slow to me. :)

12. ayl

ayl Regular Member

13. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Look like the Ti-10 is really a legend for Power in BF. It also seem that most of ppl like it than hate it^^

Ti-10! Ti-10! Ti-10! whohoho!

14. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    Think I'll settle for the MP77, just because I can get it significantly cheaper than MP100....I just hope Yonex produces a racquet that combines both Armourtec and Muscle Power technology in the one racquet, maybe call it MuscleArmour series...hahaha :D

15. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    It'll probably be called "MuscleTec" :D:D

Well, in the latest info. the Cab30MS has both the Ultimum Ti, MS frame, and it's a Cab racket. I think Yonex probably will start to mix some technologies .... :)

MP-77 is a safe choice, glad you made your mind. At least it won't hurt your wallet as much if you broke it later on.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If possible, try out your friends' MP77, MP100, and AT700, to get a feel for what suits you. Personally, I would go for the AT700, which I recently swapped for two of my old MP100. I would rate the AT700 as slightly better than my MP99 and more than slightly better than the MP100.
    Contrary to what others say, the AT700 is not less stiff than the MP99 or MP100. It bends more at the shaft than the MP99 and MP100 because it has a longer shaft-by at least half an inch-for added whip which aids in smashes and power shots. Yes, the AT700 has lower shaft rigidity, only because of the longer shaft, to make it the most potent racquet for the smasher.

17. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    Tried a friend's AT700, it felt very similar to another friend's Ti-10, head heavy with a flexible shaft. Maybe its a personal preference thingy, but head heavy with flexible shafts do not make me feel confident on the court during agressive attacks and heavy smashes. Feeling the shaft flex during a hard hit seems to rob my concentration for some reason. I know a lot of players seem to enjoy the feeling, but not me. Since I already have the MP99 which is an excellent racquet both for net play and heavy smashing, i just wanted to get a "cast iron sledgehammer" for thumping smashes, I'm willing to sacrifice some feel and agility for sheer firepower....:D

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    In that case a CAB 23 will do!!!

19. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    I'm probably whinging here , :rolleyes: but the Cab23's length is too short, and the Muscle Power bumps on the frame not as nice as the MP77.....:D

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, you can find a MP-77 and take out the MP bump and install it on the Cab23. I think it should work:cool:

Cab23 -> Cab23MS (nice upgrade)