racquet face deformation after stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by silentlight, Jan 26, 2004.

1. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I got my iso800 sp back today from the local Sports Experts store. I asked them to string it at 23lbs with the bg80 string that I provided. When I got it back, the face has deformed a bit, it has become less isometric and more oval, the deformation is not too great though but I'm worried as to how much deformation is actually detrimental to the racquet. I suspect the cross tension is just a tad too high. What do you guys think? Should I complain about it?

2. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    most likely, the tension of the horizontal strings was higher then the vertical strings or, the horizontal strings were strung before vertical strings were.
    the shape of your recket will come back when it's handled by a better stringer

#2 red00ecstrat, Jan 26, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  3. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Hi silentlight!

I'm from Montreal too. I use to go to sport expert to string my racquet too. It seem that they are better stringer for tennis than badminton.

Everytime I ask them to string my racquet at 24 lbs they string it around 19-20 lbs!!!
    It's not a good place to string your racquet!!

I woulda ask for your money back if I was you.

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    They might string the cross string from the top, not from center. (according my limited stringing exp.)

I think cross stringing from top is for cab rackets, and from middle is for iso rackets (In my own opinions):)

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if the tear drop shaped racket was strung into an oval shaped. that means they probably strung the cross from bottom to top. and may be they used one string instead of two.

this is a common mistake by tennis stringers. tennis rackets are much stronger and won't deform, badminton rackets however, will deform very easily and the racket will be squeezed into an oval shape.

the lesson is, go try another stringer. i have had rackets permanently deformed this way.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Really???

I strung many ISO rackets (as MP are popular these days), and always do from top to the bottom, but none of them happened to be oval shape after the process. :confused:

#6 LazyBuddy, Jan 26, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  7. MusclePower100

MusclePower100 Regular Member

If your ISO head looks round, cut the strings and it will go back to normal, that happened to my MP99 because the clamp that holds the top of the racket wasn't tight.

8. silentlight

student/programmer
    I actually saw the stringer finishing up when I got there to pick it up and he was stringing the cross string closest to the T of the racquet face so I'll assume that means he did the main strings first and strung the cross strings from top to bottom.

I went to the downtown Sports Experts branch, right across Place Montréal Trust, I think the tension is pretty accurate though. This was the first time I got a racquet strung by Sports Experts by the way, I just wanted to try them out and the price is good at least.

The stringer used 2 strings (4 knots). Cross strings were strung top to bottom, I assume.

Anyways, I played with the racquet right after and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Judging on how the deformation isn't that great (I read something here in badmintoncentral that deformations less than 1cm are okay), I'm just going to keep my mouth shut for a couple more badminton sessions at least :D .

Thanks everyone for your input.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There's might be a possibility, the last several cross string (bottom) were with less tension, as of losing tension while tying the knot. If the distortion is min (within several mm), then, after some sessions, it should be fine, as the strings will pull to be more even.

However, the stringer might need to improve on his knotting process, such as apply extra force while tying, or pick a closer gromment, etc.

10. silentlight

student/programmer
    Oh my God!!! I just noticed something else last night. The frame at 12o'clock has been dented as if it was pinched with pliers or something, I'm assuming it's from the clamp :mad: . That's it, I'm going back. But somehow just getting my money back doesn't feel fair at all. They damaged my main racquet and an iso800 is hard to find these days.

I'm never going back to Sports Experts again for racquet stringing. Does anyone know where to get a good stringing job here in Montréal at a decent price?

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, I think u can try you luck by arguing with them. However, whether they will refund your $$$ or not is ???

1. You racket is used already, hard to proof who actually did this (during play, previous string). I can perfectly understand your situation, but just ay, they can use this to "counter attack".

2. Those guys might have no clue about how much ISO800 worth. They might look at you weired, if u claim that's US$100+ plus nowhere to buy. To a lot of them, badminton racket is just US$5 crap.

3. For stringers, refer to: http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13470

Best of luck.

12. silentlight

student/programmer
    Yeah, I know, that's the worse part. I doubt that they'll compensate me for the damage especially since I didn't buy the racquet nor the string from them. And to the average person, a dented frame is nothing to go crazy about :mad: . Best case scenario is that they refund my money ~$10CAD for the stringing job, I could care less about that, my wonderful racquet is forever damaged, screw them.

13. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Just a reminder that you asked the racquet to be strung at a higher tension than the recommended stringing tension on the racquet, so therefore they may hold you liable for any deformities or damage to the racquet.

Hopefully they'll at least give you a new racquet instead. :)

14. silentlight

student/programmer
    Unfortunately, that is unlikely as I'm sure they can no longer get an iso800.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, get a good tennis racket, sell on ebay, to make up the lost. :p