Does Ratchanok have the game to beat Wang Yihan?

Discussion in 'Thailand Professional Players' started by JustinG, Nov 3, 2013.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I saw Wang Yihan beat Inthanon Ratchanok pretty easily on a youtube clip a couple of night ago... I didn't really see what Ratchanok could do to stop Wang Yihan. I mean, with Ratchanok's skill set, can she really beat Wang Yihan? I consider Wang to be the best women's player as far as I can tell. What does everyone think? thanks!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

you should know that may was playing with a shoulder injury... ;)

hope she'll be ready in time for the super series finals...

3. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I didnt know that. So you think Ratchanok can beat wang?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

^ when both are injury free, yes...

may plays smartly and deceptively, whereas wyh tends to waste her energy too much with brute strength

5. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I love watching may play. You can really see the art in her play, plus, she looks pretty good too! :)

6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

taking into account that wang beat intanon at their last match at the denmark open very clearly and effortless by 21-23 21-19 21-17, i truly believe that it is absolutely impossible that the already 18-year-old (and thereby declining) intanon will ever have the slightest chance to beat wang.

7. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Haha! You're funny. Let's hope that it happens sooner than later. It's nice to see when "ART" can overcome a power house game like Wang Yihan's. (not that there is anything wrong with power smashing game)

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

that might give you a clue

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

9. dominikk1985

dominikk1985 Regular Member

clinical science
  10. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Their last encounter was so close. I was very impressed with WYH. But it's just a matter of time before Ratchanok will score her first victory against WYH.

I wouldn't call WYH game a power smashing game. She likes to play long rallies and often plays the waiting game where she will show her opponents that she will get every shuttle back with ease, and let the opponent know that she must play excellent shots on the line each time to have a chance of scoring a winner.

Against such a quality opponent like Rathanok though this is not enough, then she must play with more purpose and seek her own winning shots.

11. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    RI has the ability to beat every top WS players but to do it consistently is another matter. She is an instant celebrity in her country now and it is not a good sign. Other non-badminton activities will prevent her from improving her game. SN of India is a classic example. Let hope she starts focusing on badminton, the sooner the better. Until then, she will lose her fair share of matches.

12. |_Footwork_|

harsh words for an 18-year old reigning world champion, world no.2, who has won against almost everyone and has probably been doing nothing else her whole life than focusing on training hard to become a world-class athlete. please think first before you write such b***sh**...

13. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Please tell the Forum which part of the paragraph contains harsh words.

14. |_Footwork_|

you say she is unconsistent, is likely to care more about other things than badminton, doesn't focus on badminton and therefore loses (too) many games.
    that's at least disrespectful!
    you're talking bout an 18-year-old, highly talented girl who totally aligns everything she does to badminton. she just became world champion and world no.2 and you're talking of her like she is a talent that will never achieve anything beacause she's lazy.

15. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    I feel Ratchanok needs to improve her fitness more to beat the top Wangs, as there many Wang in Chinese team, but Wang Yihan is the top Wang in my view and she is a tough cookie. The Thai girl feels flimsy and tired and lacks the sheer willpower of the tall Wang.

16. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    I believe you did indeed misinterpret my original post. I never did say she is not talented or lazy. There is no doubt one has to be very talented and work hard to be the world champions in any sports. Let be patient and wish RI be the best she can be.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

I think I understand what latecomer wanted to say... although he didn't say it in the most diplomatic way. :)

What he means is for RI to remain disciplined in her training and goals, without getting distracted by various celebrity activities by sponsors, govt, etc that would naturally befall anyone with newfound fame.

Who are we to judge her, but she seems to show strong mental strength, and here's hoping that those close to her are wise for her to help her manage.

18. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Thanks, VISOR.

19. frankmanzhu

frankmanzhu Regular Member

RI have a bright future, but for now she seems to have a bit trouble to beat those strong athlete.

20. yuki onitsura

yuki onitsura Regular Member

High school English teacher
    Sounds about right. She is only 18 though, so there's still plenty of time to develop physically. If she can stay injury free, she'll be a force to be reckoned with.