Something I've noticed in my singles games...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JustinG, Nov 3, 2013.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Hello everyone, there is something I've noticed in my singles games that works quite well and I am wondering why others do not do it as often as me. A typically example off the first serve: I serve long with a nice deep and high serve, and then my opponent will clear to my backhand and then I will do a around the head shot cross court, kind of like a fast drop or half-smash. %90 of the time my opponent will not get the shot at all, and %10 of the time they will get and stumble and then I can just "kill" the birdie or put them in an even worse position with an eventual "kill" coming. What do you guys think? thanks!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

you need better opponents... ;)

3. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Yes, this is true. I play in a singles ladder and there are about 4 new players who will hopefully push me more, and force me to play harder. Thanks!

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Do whatever it takes to beat your opponents!
    But be sure that against better opponents, it's usually a bad idea to play a fast crosscourt shot as your first shot!!

5. malinosega

malinosega Regular Member

student
    A piece of advice, NEVER rely on one shot to score the point. It is all about who can survive the rally longer.

I changed my mindset while ago and i improve a lot since. Before i ll do a shot as good as possible which lead me watching my shot (hoping that it would score) and always get surprised when the opponent return it. Now with my mindset to keep the rally going, i become much faster reacting for the next shot simply because i am expecting my opponent to return. Then if they don't, u get the point.