New Badminton COurt Set up

Discussion in 'Places to play / Clubs / Local Events' started by harimau, Jan 27, 2004.

1. harimau

harimau Regular Member

ITs, CEs, P&C Insurance Agent
    I am setting up a new grass root program at my son school. I need advice as to what is the most efficient way to put up the badminton court in the gym. The info i need is from where to get the floor anchor/socket and its cover. I found that some places offer them for like US$ 300 per pair is just too ridiculous !!! There is a website in Canada offering similar stuff for like almost 50% cheaper but the thing is they will not sell to me. What about the posting where can i get those too ???

2. edward

edward Regular Member

I'm not familiar with the exact technical terms, but by anchor/socket + cover, do you mean where you stick the pole in the gym floor? (excuse my simple terminology :p )
    Is there a specific reason they wont sell them to you?
    What about the poles with a weighted bottom on wheels? I'm guessing it would be cheaper and more portable. I guess the gym isnt set up for volleyball either then.
    Here's something I found with google:
    http://www.volleyballusa.com/Catalog/Nets/indoor-volleyball-poles.html
    Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but good luck in your search! :D

edit: you might wanna make a post in the Equipment forum too.

#2 edward, Jan 27, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
  3. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    A grass roots badminton program... cool.

A couple ways that I have done net setups in the past:

if the gym walls have hooks already installed at the proper height (5'1" - well, 5' is acceptable) at each end, you can simply run a continuous rope through all the badminton nets, then tie each end of the net set to each end hook. A simple truckers knot can help cinch the line tight enough for badminton.
    Between the courts, I made some 1x2 posts on a wooden platform, to keep the proper height.

in another gym setup, we did not have end hooks on the wall, but did have holes in the gym floor for the posts. we had to buy several aluminum posts, and at the 5 foot level, we inserted metal hooks. we used the same truckers knot to cinch each net tightly.

the only problem that we found with the aluminum posts was that they started to bend with time.
    costs in both cases, price of the net, 100ft or so of rope, $5 of cheap 1x2 posts, or $30 for aluminum posts plus hooks.