User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 42
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smashikon, Driveland
    Posts
    689
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    if your fast enough, intercept and vary between smash, drop (sliced or straight) or clear.
    if you're not able to do these shots: work on your game.

    if you're too slow, somehow try to reach the shuttle and play a slower shot (clear or drop) to regain a neutral position.
    and work on getting faster.

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    balestier, singapore
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Visor, i have tried with many rackets so it wouldnt be a problem. I think i dont have any problem with pronation too.

    captaincook, i thought the contact point must be as high as possible? That s why i never jump when i want to hit high ball with clear unless i need to take it early. And also my arm is also fully stretch when hitting these shots. So i ll definitely try this tonite.

    Thanks guys for the input.

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    balestier, singapore
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    if your fast enough, intercept and vary between smash, drop (sliced or straight) or clear.
    if you're not able to do these shots: work on your game.

    if you're too slow, somehow try to reach the shuttle and play a slower shot (clear or drop) to regain a neutral position.
    and work on getting faster.
    oops sorry i didn't see this post on second page. Yea i can intercept if i want, but the result of the shots is totally different compared to hitting falling shuttle. They wont be as good.

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    balestier, singapore
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malinosega View Post
    Visor, i have tried with many rackets so it wouldnt be a problem. I think i dont have any problem with pronation too.

    captaincook, i thought the contact point must be as high as possible? That s why i never jump when i want to hit high ball with clear unless i need to take it early. And also my arm is also fully stretch when hitting these shots. So i ll definitely try this tonite.

    Thanks guys for the input.
    when i played just now, bending my elbow definitely works on focusing my power to shuttle. I need at least a week to confirm this is the solution i am looking for. Thank you for the tips.

  5. #22
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,156
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Adjust to different opponents. You can always adjust your base to be 1 foot further back.

    Alternative is to develop a good technique of coping when the shuttle has already past you. All top and advanced players can do this.

  6. #23
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,094
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malinosega View Post
    when i played just now, bending my elbow definitely works on focusing my power to shuttle. I need at least a week to confirm this is the solution i am looking for. Thank you for the tips.
    If you want to pronate with power, you must lead the stroke with a slightly bent elbow.

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    balestier, singapore
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yea i do it naturally with other strokes. Even for backhand. Only when reaching attacking clear my elbow is fully stretched.

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    balestier, singapore
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Adjust to different opponents. You can always adjust your base to be 1 foot further back.

    Alternative is to develop a good technique of coping when the shuttle has already past you. All top and advanced players can do this.
    This is another problem i am having. But i ll deal with it after this one.



    Arghh can't resist to ask, do i need to change the grip to take a late forehand shot? Or i compensate it with my shoulder?

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malinosega View Post
    can't resist to ask, do i need to change the grip to take a late forehand shot? Or i compensate it with my shoulder?
    Imo, even if you're late, your stroke should be the same. What should be done is compensate from body/arm position. Eg. bend backwards or sideways more. Safely.

    If you're so late that the above doesn't work, then forget doing a clear that's just gonna go half court and opt for safer shots like defensive drop.

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    balestier, singapore
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gnoils View Post
    Imo, even if you're late, your stroke should be the same. What should be done is compensate from body/arm position. Eg. bend backwards or sideways more. Safely. If you're so late that the above doesn't work, then forget doing a clear that's just gonna go half court and opt for safer shots like defensive drop.
    Yeap this what i thought. I usually do defensive drop, but varies it with crosscourt drop or drive as hard as a can along sidelines.

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I had the same problem. Without giving u a half answer, heres how i deal with it.
    Against players with fast attacking clears.. I split step/square a bit further back, if they are very versatile and use a lot of drops then this isn't much of an option. So option 2, is covering with the medium speed flat low return. Generally speaking people expect this straight, so it is very useful learning this shot cross-court. If im unclear, watch peter gade games, he tends to stand a little more forward (and he can be slow when hes tired).. he has very good technique, footwork wise and hitting wise when covering the driving clears. hope this helps

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    balestier, singapore
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thank you jencon13, but do u mean i should move back my base position? Coz when i play i dont usually have time to get back to base, unless i do a high net lift or defensive clear to the middle.

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,092
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malinosega View Post
    Thank you jencon13, but do u mean i should move back my base position? Coz when i play i dont usually have time to get back to base, unless i do a high net lift or defensive clear to the middle.
    err, well that right there is your problem. Of course take into consideration that your base is dynamic throughout a rally.

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    balestier, singapore
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yea that s what i meant. I dont practically go back to center everytime. My 'base' is half step to one step back of any shot.

  15. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    208
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malinosega View Post
    Thank you jencon13, but do u mean i should move back my base position? Coz when i play i dont usually have time to get back to base, unless i do a high net lift or defensive clear to the middle.
    search - recovery step, or ask someone who knows, or watch youtube.
    Then keep practicing it until this "recovery step" becomes your standard movement back to "base".
    Last edited by captaincook; 11-14-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    balestier, singapore
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malinosega View Post
    Yea that s what i meant. I dont practically go back to center everytime. My 'base' is half step to one step back of any shot.
    captaincook, is this what u meant by 'recovery step'?

  17. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah well there lies the problem as many have suggested, but not to worry, improving your recovery speed (imo) is much easier than improving your actual chasing speed. Yeah so look up videos for techniques etc, as its hard to describe every technique for every corner. If you still have the problem still, i'd advise what i recommended previously, best of luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •