Need help with flat attacking clear.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by malinosega, Nov 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. malinosega

malinosega Regular Member

student
    Can anyone help me how to deal with flat attacking clear? I ll say my level is between intermediate to advance. No prob with footwork.

the way i see it i have some options here:

1. Intercept to drop (this i m afraid i might not land in time for net return and it can only be a block slow drop)
    2. Intercept to attacking clear (can't give power to shuttle since the trajectory is stil horizontal)
    3. Intercept to defensive high clear (nver tried this one)
    4. Get behind the shuttle, the shuttle will go bit lower and drop (which is risky)
    5. Get behind the shuttle, the shuttle will go bit lower and high clear (also risky cos it might go half court).
    6. Get behind the shuttle, the shuttle will go bit lower and pwer drive (opponent can just block or drive back crosscourt)
    7. Stick smash also not enough power same reason with number 2.
    8. Slice drop isn't an option coz u can't slice the shuttle head if it's not falling down
    9. Power smash is not possible because the shuttle is not high enough when i got behind it.

note: i can do all those options with either forehand or backhand no prob but i always do round the head if possible. Only use backhand when i m on right side (right hander) and pushed deep to my backhand side.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

surely it depends on where you and your opponent are on court. Then pick one of your options according to what will keep you safe or give good counter attack depending on your preference.

3. malinosega

student
    We both are in neutral position. But all those options above dont seem to work for me. Can u give me any solution? My opponent is really agile and persistent.

4. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

I'm curious for #2, why no power? If the shuttle is still horizontal that just means more pressure. I think you can just add abit more pace to counter the pressure.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

What do you mean by 'don't work'? If you mean that you always lose the rally within a couple of shots after an attacking clear no matter what response you pick then... you probably have more than one issue.

Also, if someone does attacking clear from proper rear court corner then it is unlikely that they are in a neutral position if you intercept.

If your shots to his rear court are not good length then this will make attacking clears more difficult to respond accurately to.

6. malinosega

student
    I just feel when the shuttle is horizontal i wont get the 'pok' or 'tar' sound as when i hit falling shuttle. I am thinking the problem is the shuttle. I have this problem when i play with Mikasa indonesian shuttle. I feel they are too light. Therefore i was thinking if u guys can mention another factor to deal with.

7. malinosega

student
    Ow sorry what i meant by 'dont work' is i am loosing a bit of balance when i play against that shot. Not as comfortable and as firm as i am taking other shots. What i m confused about is i cam return power drive with crosscourt power drive with decent power (coz the shuttle is also flat like attacking clear) but when i return attacking clear with attacking clear, the shuttle wont go as fast and deep. I see after contact the shuttle will shake before it flies back to my opponent which makes it slower.

Another thing is i think my intercept is too slow as i only hold my racket to block. I should slice on the point of contact to make the shuttle drops faster.

8. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

If you disregard the hitting sound, do you get the result for the shot, ie. flat attacking clear?

I'm thinking maybe the faster flat clear from your opponent is throwing your timing off a little esp with the wrist snap. It's possible it's the same problem with the faster lighter shuttles.

9. malinosega

student
    When i use heavier shuttle, i can return with attacking clear no prob. With those light shuttle no matter how hard i hit it wont reach the back court. Only like twice or thrice when the shuttle is really new.

i wonder is returning attacking clear with attacking clear reasonable and effective? Or is it better to return with defensive clear since i am under 'attack'?

10. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

I don't see why you can't return attacking clear with attacking clear. As long as you can get into position, make the shot and keep your balance. If you're under pressure then defensive clear is preferred. But otherwise, I'll say punch it to his back court and see who's can give more pressure.

Regarding the shuttle, what shuttle are you using?

11. malinosega

student
    Mikasa indonesian shuttle. So light compared to aeroplane shuttle i used when i was in Sydney.

In Singapore i use either victor or yonex shuttle.

12. malinosega

student
    Guys i think i almost solve my problem. Because the shuttle is fast my stroke needs to be faster just like returning drive with drive. Cos i noticed when i strike slower when returning drives the result will be the same as return flat clear. My stroke for all clears before is like when u watch pros hit clear when warming up. Anyway thanks a lot guys for the kind reply and i ll put into practice tonite as i just found this yesterday and my opponent was not good enough.

13. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

So, did it work?

14. malinosega

student
    Well he didn't come. I ll try again tonight.

15. malinosega

student
    It didn't work as i expected. I am now in singapore using heavier shuttle so the diff is not so significant. Though i could punch the shutlle to rear court, i dont get the feeling i am looking for. I want to feel my power not being dispersed as the shuttle trembles after contact.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

A few things.

Faster racket speed, ie whip pronation / supination.

Strings getting old? Need new string job if losing repulsion and crispness.

17. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Perhaps the contact point is too high; your arm was in full stretch. Train your legs - jump higher and more explosive. The movement to the back - catch up with the punch clear will take care of business for you.

18. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

if your fast enough, intercept and vary between smash, drop (sliced or straight) or clear.
    if you're not able to do these shots: work on your game.

if you're too slow, somehow try to reach the shuttle and play a slower shot (clear or drop) to regain a neutral position.
    and work on getting faster.

19. malinosega

student
    Visor, i have tried with many rackets so it wouldnt be a problem. I think i dont have any problem with pronation too.

captaincook, i thought the contact point must be as high as possible? That s why i never jump when i want to hit high ball with clear unless i need to take it early. And also my arm is also fully stretch when hitting these shots. So i ll definitely try this tonite.

Thanks guys for the input.

20. malinosega

student
    oops sorry i didn't see this post on second page. Yea i can intercept if i want, but the result of the shots is totally different compared to hitting falling shuttle. They wont be as good.