Notional points are not notional!

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by craigandy, Nov 6, 2013.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ok there are two ways to work out the notional points for a new/ recently formed pair.

1. If they have never played before you take their ranking with their previous partners and work out notional value(makes sense when you work out answer)
    2. If they have played together this super seedsn rule 1 and its a system of taking their current points and making them up to a notional value(makes no sense to me)

Here it is in detail http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=464357&dl=1

ranking.PNG

So the example that drew my attention to it was LYD/YOO being seeded for French and Denmark ssp but no seed for the China SSP, even though by the time the china draw seeds had beeN finalised LYD/YOO still had the same ranks with previous partners but had also won Denmark SSP together.(cut off for china seeding was just after this tournament)

So LYD/YOO notional points when they had never played together:
    ((86745.8812/10)+(59090/10))/2=7291.794
    (7291.794*10)*80%=
    58334 notional points should put them in at seed 7, sound fair to me they are both top players.

LYD/YOO notional Points after playing together once and advancing past the worlds top double teams to win a superseries premier title
    (11000*10)/5 = 22000 notional points. So even though they were already top players and have proofed themselves together their notional points drop by over half!!!!

I can't make sense of how two players notional points can be so high and then so low when all they have done is proof themselves further towards a notional value. Have I got it wrong??

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Because the flow diagram is misaligned and needs reworking.

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Thanks for taking a look, it is so far from being notional that I thought I must have made a big error, but it is all there.

If they are going to do notional values at least make them vaguely notional but still fair to existing couples:
    I think the values for never having played together should be set at 85% with all else being as BWF states for said scenario
    and if they have played together the value should be about 60% all other calculations as BWF states for said scenario (not 20% which it is at the moment( the divided by 5 bit:))).

4. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi all.

I know this had not been discussed for a long time but I recently came across a situation in the Scottish Open , an existing pair that had been playing in tournaments together but have not played 8 tournaments get seed below a newly formed pair. This Notional points is really unfair. no advantage to players pair up together and going up the together. BWF need to reveal the 8 tournaments qualification (maybe 4 is reasonable) and new pairing multiply by 80% and existing pairing divide by 5. It si totally un reasonable and unfair. WHAT can we do?